New Orleans Rap

UptownNewOrleans

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly is a lyricist and a bubblegum rapper ?

See Bubble Gum Rap at Wikipedia. The first thing that comes to mind is what you may have heard from rappers like then Lil Bow Wow or Lil Romeo when they were younger, or any rap that has a very soft edge to it dedicated to younger audiences.

A lyricist is a rapper who really flows and throws down some, well, lyrics. Songs that actually have a feel and meaning to them and in their lyrics, not just some pointless club rap based on beat, which usually has the same exact words over and over again. One rapper that is very big right now and is known as a true lyricist is Lil Wayne, who is from New Orleans. Rappers such as Jay-Z and Nas, who you've probably heard of, were also serious lyricists, their songs had a genuine feel to them. This is why I can't stand most of the "rap" coming out of Atlanta nowadays, because most of it is absolutely worthless, talentless, sound. I'll use the same "Dem Franchise Boyz" song as my example: "Ride rims ride rims yea I ride rims, ride rims ride rims yea I ride rims"...and that is repeated for about 3 more minutes.

Lil Boosie is gonna get his shine, it's just a matter of time before he blows up. When he does blow up, I hope he doesn't change his style like 90% of rappers nowadays. When I'm in a clubbing/partying/dancing mood, I'll throw on some bubble gum rap. 85% of the rap I listen to makes me think. One thing to remember: If you want to sell records, don't rap about stuff that has meaning. Rap about riding rims, candy paint, grills & bling. That's what artists are being pushed to rap about from their label executives. It's sad but true.

I currently live in Dallas, and yes theyve been playing lil boosie alot out here since "ratchet". He definately got a buzz going all over the south.

I didnt understand how webbie made it "big" b4 he did.

Yes, Lil Wayne is def the best rapper of the south IMO!

And LOL at atlanta's snap music going WOrld Wide, could you imagine if bounce music was on BET MTV, and played on pop stations, lol....

i doubt it ever happen though.

• 2 weeks later...

You dont know nuttin bout dat. You aint never see no place like that before huh. You aint even know that place existed. You thought New Orleans was the only most original unique dialect/culture place in the South. lol thats just a lil quick demo video. That aint the real dvd. We doin a real DVD coverin all bases. Showin the culture the food the life the history the people the language and all that.

lmao I can't even lie. I always thought N.O. only had that kind of slang/dialect. Speaking of which, some of my folk are gonna do a N.O. street DVD similar to New Orleans Exposed but it'll be about 13th Ward & Magnolia, Melph & Calliope. You gonna see some grimy stuff, folk getting their face knocked off, the Magnolia/Melph battle from 10 years ago, etc. I don't know the name but it's in production right now. Also it'll have post-Katrina footage of the aforementioned projects and how they're gonna be torn down.

Yeah trust me family. It aint just the speech. The whole history is the same. Charleston was the main slave port of America, and New Orleans was the other one. If you look at our city, it actually LOOK the same. Them old houses. Tourists walkin round and sh*t. You would be amazed.

I got people from the N.O. Who really from Charleston, but move to New Orleans, or had half they family from New Orleans, half they family from the Charleo. And move back and forth.

They the craziest ni**as. One dude, I aint gone call his name on the internet. But his name ring bells in the Chuck and in the N.O. He from Downtown Charleston, but half his family from New Orleans, so he move to 7th Ward. And used to come back and forth. He got the mixture of both places in him. He REAL crazy.

Archived