Rell's Transportation Commissioner Nomination

Yankee.Peddler

Governor Rell has nominated current DMV Commissioner and former state trooper, Ralph J. Carpenter, to be the new Commissioner of ConnDOT. The Courant published an editorial this morning questioning the Governor's decision. I have to agree with the Courant's arguments.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editor...ines-editorials

For the first time in over twenty years, the state is seriously looking to expand its transportation network and create a more sustainable balance between highways and transit. I hoped a nationwide search could have been undertaken to find someone (preferably outside of Conn.) who has had extensive experience in this line of work.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Governor Rell has nominated current DMV Commissioner and former state trooper, Ralph J. Carpenter, to be the new Commissioner of ConnDOT. The Courant published an editorial this morning questioning the Governor's decision. I have to agree with the Courant's arguments.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editor...ines-editorials

For the first time in over twenty years, the state is seriously looking to expand its transportation network and create a more sustainable balance between highways and transit. I hoped a nationwide search could have been undertaken to find someone (preferably outside of Conn.) who has had extensive experience in this line of work.

Any thoughts?

You make a very good point, especially since hiring someone who works in motor vehicles, how receptive will he be to non-automobile modes of transport? The DOT is still stuck in the 60's, building and expanding highways constantly. Look at their headquarters... a spawling monument of waste in Newington on the Berlin Tpke. It's one of the reasons why I feel pessimistic about our state's future.

Very dissapointed in this decision. Socially she is more of a Democrat than a Republican, so this crappy apointment is a bit surprising. I'm a liberal republican (or conservative democrat, either way) and if I were the governor, I'd make improving our state and city transportation one of my top goals. We need rail improvements ASAP.

Very dissapointed in this decision. Socially she is more of a Democrat than a Republican, so this crappy apointment is a bit surprising. I'm a liberal republican (or conservative democrat, either way) and if I were the governor, I'd make improving our state and city transportation one of my top goals. We need rail improvements ASAP.

I think that's something everyone on this board agrees with. :thumbsup:

Heaven forbid we get a national search for the right person to do the job....

Yes, heaven forbid we actually look for the best candidate. Preferably someone with previous experience with implimenting large scale mass transit. But this is CT who cares, this guy will do! :thumbsup:

:huh: I love CT

Thanks for bringing some attention to this topic, which somehow I missed in yesterday's paper.

The Courant has it absolutely right, and its criticism of Rell comes as a bit of a surprise. The bottom line is Jodi Rell is proabably a nice lady who's in way over her head. She is no visionary. She does not think big. She does not think cutting edge.

If Connecticut is to recover its status as a capitol of innovation, preserve the landscape that makes the state unique, attract entrepreneurs and innovators to live and work here, and reinvigorate its economy, we need high caliber mass transit and transit-oriented development - not a desperate clinging to the car culture. Which is what her DOT appointment is likely to mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm hopeful that the Legislature at least will push ConnDOT in the right direction...

It's nice to have a pro-transit person in the driver's seat at the DOT, however it is the legislature that holds the purse strings so you do need to make them see the pro-transit way.

• 4 weeks later...

It's nice to have a pro-transit person in the driver's seat at the DOT, however it is the legislature that holds the purse strings so you do need to make them see the pro-transit way.

That's a good point, Cotuit, and the Connecticut Legislature has certainly become much more pro-transit recently. However, I think you still need a DOT led by and staffed with people who can execute good transit policy every day.

I brought this thread up again because Rell's office recently issued the following press release, which I found very encouraging.

http://www.ct.gov/governorrell/cwp/view.as...9468&A=2425

That's a good point, Cotuit, and the Connecticut Legislature has certainly become much more pro-transit recently. However, I think you still need a DOT led by and staffed with people who can execute good transit policy every day.

I brought this thread up again because Rell's office recently issued the following press release, which I found very encouraging.

http://www.ct.gov/governorrell/cwp/view.as...9468&A=2425

Well, in response, I'll quote a Simpsons episode: monorail, Monorail, MONORAIL!!!!!!

Archived