Belk to purchase Parisian

Alababy

RE: Riverchase - A lackluster Macy's was replaced by a lackluster Proffitt's, which is then sold to Belk, which is somehow supposed to part the retail Red Sea? Not bloody likely. That store has never done well, regardless who owned it.

Just an FWIW--while it does struggle at times, the Linens/Housewares/China/Silver/Crystal departments at Riverchase are usually at the top of the region for Belk in sales. Someone must be doing something right.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it comes to retail, I can assure you I know at least as much as anybody here. So please curtail your apparent need to insult me (and JCPenney and Belk shoppers) by making a bunch of subjective arguments. It doesn't make your point any stronger, and actually weakens it.

If anything, you should save some of that for the person that suggested that if we're not shopping at Parisian and higher level stores, we're being duped into thinking we look good. There's no outrage, or even gentle chiding about that here, even though it's an extremely classist way of viewing consumers.

i almost cheered when i read the atlanta - bham comparison to l.a. - s.f. if you've spent significant time in all four cities, and if you love urban (and not suburban) life, it should make sense - not because bham isn't crammed with a bunch of suburban douchebags like everywhere else, but becuase it hasn't sold itself completely down the river for growth. it's not a perfect analogy, but i was just happy to see the words 'we want to be san francisco.' there isn't a thing wrong with that attitude, especially coming from someone living in a place that needs more people who share in it.

sorry to get off track...keep arguing about the demise of the big P! i'm hugely opinionated about it, but no way i'm getting into this krazy fight.

Yeah, I think that analogy was a little off though I understand the point he was getting at.

Considering the rest of this thread, I think B'ham will see Dillard's and Macy's come in and fill that niche. It really is kind of a conspicuous hole in Dillard's presence in the region.

This thread is a laugher. Alabama and other areas of the SOUTH too upscale for Belks :lol: (that's hillarious). What in the world are you people talking about? I think some of you should travel around the country a bit more. Parisians is gone and Belk will cater to markets that WANT mid-to-higher end retail and will not to areas that don't. They've been doing that for decade in the Carolinas. Maybe that's why their so profitable, not trying to sale ice to eskimos; especially those that can't afford BRAND name ice.

Belk stores in the Triangle and Triad don't even resemble stores in smaller markets (even in the Carolinas). Maybe some people are unware of the population and wealth in the Carolinas. For one, the population of NC is nearly twice that of Alabama with metros that are larger and have as much or more wealth than any in Alabama. And by the way, growing much faster. Take off the blinders and deal with reality.

This thread is a laugher. Alabama and other areas of the SOUTH too upscale for Belks :lol: (that's hillarious). What in the world are you people talking about? I think some of you should travel around the country a bit more. Parisians is gone and Belk will cater to markets that WANT mid-to-higher end retail and will not to areas that don't. They've been doing that for decade in the Carolinas. Maybe that's why their so profitable, not trying to sale ice to eskimos; especially those that can't afford BRAND name ice.

Belk stores in the Triangle and Triad don't even resemble stores in smaller markets (even in the Carolinas). Maybe some people are unware of the population and wealth in the Carolinas. For one, the population of NC is nearly twice that of Alabama with metros that are larger and have as much or more wealth than any in Alabama. And by the way, growing much faster. Take off the blinders and deal with reality.

No need to insult others here. I (having spent 2/3 of my life in the Carolinas and shopping in Belk for most of that time) and plenty of others who post here are very knowledgeable and familiar with Belk, the Carolinas, Parisian, and the other players. What my concern is, and that perhaps others share, is that Belk will downgrade Parisian stores to a more mid-market level. That's a valid concern that Belk hasn't fully addressed; in my view, for example, even a Haywood Mall or Northlake Mall Belk isn't as good as a typical Parisian. That's somewhat of a subjective view, but again, you're wasting your time if you spend it ridiculing and insulting others.

Nitpicking once again, but...

(According to the 2000 Census)

Birmingham-Hoover MSA: 1,052,238

Raleigh-Cary MSA: 797,071

Now, if you combine Raleigh and Durham together (which the census bureau doesn't do because it considers the two to be independent metros), you get:

1,223,564 - 1,052,238 = less than half a million.

1,052,238 - 797,071 = about 255,000

So... Birmingham and Raleigh are pretty much in the exact same league, population-wise (although Raleigh is growing faster. Oh well. At least we still have a cooler skyline beeshes! WOOOOOOOO! Civic boosterism.) Also people from all over central Alabama come to Birmingham to shop.

I am a loser for looking all this up, I admit, but so are people who use these things excessively in their posts:

<_<-_-:(:)

Also, as I said before, I could care less how "upscale" Belk and Parisian are because I don't go to those places anyway, but ah ain jis genna set baick an let ma citty git rode on like a ho con in the snow, mon! So just sit back cause the shows on you frickin blow, son.

Tarnation! We jis ain' in the same leeg as yall Raleigh fellas down har in Alabammy! Wes all war overalls an screw ar mommas ya hird?

Not to be a nitpicking asshole,

but as far as I'm aware Birmingham's metro's bigger than any in the Carolinas besides Charlotte. Raliegh-Durham's and the Winston Salem-Greensboro ones would be bigger but they split off from one another; although I don't go to "upscale" department stores anyway so that I don't really care about Parisian's closing except for the loss of a Birmingham company and the job cuts.

Tha's why they're called the TRIAD (Greenboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) and the TRIANGLE (Raleigh,Durham, Chapel Hill). Durham and Raleigh actually almost border each other in areas due to sprawl. Mapquest Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro/Winston-Salem. Technically (of recent), they're defined as separate metros, but come on! Raleigh's (950,000) MSA (without Durham) is almost as large as Birminghams (1.1 million). And at the rate they're killing trees around here, it will not be long before it zooms by. I work in the N. Raleigh area and live in Durham.

Now you've hit the nail on the head. The overall impact on the city in terms of job loss (hopefully minimal) and civic pride. I understand the bitterness and emotional disgust but it will not change things. It's not the end all be all, Birmingham will be fine and needs to get the market engines turning (Raleigh, ATL and Charlotte have mastered this). Birmingham's a great city, get the WORD out to squash stereotypes.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread - just want to ease nerves about Belks and state FACTS. Most shoppers will enjoy it; they'll step up to the plate in markets like Birmingham. Loyalist are loyalist and there's nothing you can do to change their minds. Put coke in a no-name bottle and they'll swear it tastes different.

I'll go back under my rock now.

Nitpicking once again, but...

(According to the 2000 Census)

Birmingham-Hoover MSA: 1,052,238

Raleigh-Cary MSA: 797,071

Now, if you combine Raleigh and Durham together (which the census bureau doesn't do because it considers the two to be independent metros), you get:

1,223,564 - 1,052,238 = less than half a million.

1,052,238 - 797,071 = about 255,000

So... Birmingham and Raleigh are pretty much in the exact same league, population-wise (although Raleigh is growing faster. Oh well. At least we still have a cooler skyline beeshes! WOOOOOOOO! Civic boosterism.) Also people from all over central Alabama come to Birmingham to shop.

I am a loser for looking all this up, I admit, but so are people who use these things excessively in their posts:

<_<-_-:(:)

Also, as I said before, I could care less how "upscale" Belk and Parisian are because I don't go to those places anyway, but ah ain jis genna set baick an let ma citty git rode on like a ho con in the snow, mon! So just sit back cause the shows on you frickin blow, son.

Tarnation! We jis ain' in the same leeg as yall Raleigh fellas down har in Alabammy! Wes all war overalls an screw ar mommas ya hird?

And just because there is X amount of buying power in a market doesn't necessarily mean that a successor retailer will aim to capture it in the same way an existing retailer does. Take the Greenville Mall (SC) Parisian, which was converted to a Proffitt's. The merchandise moved downscale when that change happened, even though one could have said beforehand, just the name is changing, and both stores have the same parent, and Greenville is a growing market, so Proffitt's will also want to capture those dollars by having the same types of merchandise that Parisian does". That didn't happen.

Archived