Area colleges growing in national reputation

voyager12

There was a very good article in this past Sunday's NYT Education Life section. It mentioned UNC, Davidson, Elon, UNCC, Guilford, College of Charleston :thumbsup: (my alma mater, I am biased) and more. These schools are becoming increasingly popular as costs rise for more well known schools in the Northeast. Apparently there is a whole circuit called "the I 85 Crawl"that more and more aspiring freshmen from up North do every year and growth seems to be nonstop.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a very good article in this past Sunday's NYT Education Life section. It mentioned UNC, Davidson, Elon, UNCC, Guilford, College of Charleston :thumbsup: (my alma mater, I am biased) and more. These schools are becoming increasingly popular as costs rise for more well known schools in the Northeast. Apparently there is a whole circuit called "the I 85 Crawl"that more and more aspiring freshmen from up North do every year and growth seems to be nonstop.

I must confess to being surprised that UNC or Davidson would be considered "discovered" or that either would be an institution likely to become increasingly popular for the reasons you listed. Both are highly regarded and academically selective institutions. UNC is extremely difficult to attend if one is from out of state and Davidson is the quintescence of "Southern Ivy League".

I guess that what I am really saying is that I have difficulty believing that those with whom these two institutions are alleged to have gained such new-found popularity would be in much of a position to do the choosing.

Having said that, I am pleased that the apparent "brain drain" is from North to South and not vice versa.

I am not surprised by the article. I used to live up North and the majority attitude has long been that any school past the Maryland state line is not "good" enough when compared to schools up North. People look at you like you are moving to Mars if you decide to go to college in the "backward" South. I am also glad to see this attitude is changing.

And thanks for "bumping" my post! It was getting very sad lonely :(

I think they left off Duke for the same reason other non-Ivy League schools such as Stanford, UC-Berkley, Cal Tech, and MIT were left off. Duke may not be technically in the Ivy League, but they already have an Ivy League type reputation.

I am not surprised by the article. I used to live up North and the majority attitude has long been that any school past the Maryland state line is not "good" enough when compared to schools up North. People look at you like you are moving to Mars if you decide to go to college in the "backward" South. I am also glad to see this attitude is changing.

And thanks for "bumping" my post! It was getting very sad lonely :(

My pleasure V12. I really like your Galbreath quote as well. Here's one of my all time favorites, although the language is somewhat arcane:

Archived