CL's BOC 06

voyager12

I guess just post whatever categories catch your eye...Readers chose Dilworth as the best neighborhood. Critics choice was Plaza Midwood. Best coffee house was Caribo on East for laid back atmosphere which I agree with. Best Radio Station: WFAE :thumbsup: Too often winners in categories that should have local representation were chains. We need to work on that, Charlotteans :huh:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought some of the proposed Charlotte slogans were funny...."Its not so bad here" "We are open past 5pm" and "If the Atlanta is too entertaining, The Triangle too intellectual, and Asheville too beautiful, come live here". The last one was a bit insulting but if we can't make fun of ourselves then we won't ever shake our "stuffy" rep :lol:

The problem is that most of the folks who read Creative Loafing, and therefore vote for the "best of", are 20 somethings who haven't learned to appreciate certain things. I simply can't believe that "best bbq" was Sonny's. That is simply embarrassing and completely absurd.

One must keep in mind that it isn't very hard for one person or place to encourage employees, patrons, or friends to vote for them. A friend with a restaurant a few years ago did this very easily by getting everyone that came to the bar for a week to fill out a ballot. Not that I think Sonny's would be this energetic about it, but some of the others, Salons, etc., probably do.

I was told (didn't bother to verify this) that if you filled out CL's form online, you had to enter something for every category. If that was true, then I'm sure there was a lot of "junk" voting going on, just so that someone could get a submission in, for the 3 or 4 things really cared about...

While thumbing through the results, I definately got the impression it was hastily put together, and included way too many categories.

Have we ever seen any of the CL staff delurk here?

I always thought they should do a "worst of Charlotte" poll.

...worst store for customer service

...worst unmaintained roadway

...most littered interchange or road

...ugliest new building

...stupidest new road design

.....and whatever else drives us bananas around here.

Certainly, no one thinks this city is perfect, so why not pick on the negatives for a change. Could be quite humerous, and or eye-opening to many people..

:whistling:

The pick for best pizza was Luisa's on Abbey Place near Park Road Shopping Center. I decided to try it out tonight after reading about it in CL.

My verdict...it was great, but close by Portofino's gets the award in my opinion (followed closely by Fuel and Mellow Mushroom, even though it is a chain).

Archived