Moving to Chicago

Rizzo

I'm making the transition of moving from Grand Rapids, Mi to Schaumburg and its going to a quick one at that and soon. Currently, I'm in the works of attaining employment before the move (The problem.) Schaumburg!? This is what many of you may consider a near "blind move" as I am doing this to be with a loved one that is there first and settled, but I've never been, seen, or heard of the place. I'm currently swinging between moods of uncertainty, unhappiness, happiness, anew, and the thought leaving the only place I've ever known.

I know this is quite a broad question, but in its infancy I'm mostly looking for info on their "main drags," and its walk ability (if any). Is this village a "town center" with typical main street or the typical 'burb with street intersection businesses and huge tracts of residential? After researching google maps I would conclude that its probably a combination. After investigating I'm hoping I can make this transition as smooth as possible as the necessities are paid for and there should be ample time to find gainful employment.

I know the brighter side of things I can look forward to being with my girlfriend, and a UP thread entitled: Schaumburg: A MEGA photo thread.

To you fellow UP - GR reading this don't worry, I swear I'll be back.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schaumburg is a lot like Southfield and Troy. It's a massive suburb, with a lot of isolated glass office towers due to its proximity to the airport. Only things that might be attractive are IKEA, Pappadeaux Restaurant, and there's a giant "greenspace" preserve in the middle. At least, that's my take of it. :thumbsup:

There's also a big mall there as well, although I've only been by it and not in it. You can see it in the center HERE, with the preserve to the right in the image.

Oh, I almost forgot, there's also a supper club place that's like the Knights of the Round Table with jousting and other shows. I found it here at Medieval Times - Schaumburg. I've never been, but I hear it can be fun.

I figured you would chime in Dad, I didn't know how much traffic the Illinois forum was getting. That helped though. My girlfriend likens it to a Wyoming City with small skyscapers and a few 28th st business routes.

The transition is starting to take place, I plan on putting in my resignation Monday. I'm going to miss one of the most active development booms in our cities future, so sad....

I stayed out in Rosemont, which is basically in the same general region of Chicagoland, but a little closer to Chicago proper. If Schaumburg is anything like Rosemont, it's not a terribly walkable place, but it's pretty calm and quiet. I do know that the folks on Wikipedia made it out to be a pretty nice place. I have found from experience that the Chicagoland writers tend to be pretty accurate, and they helped me out a lot before the last time I went to Chicago with getting to know the lay of the land a little better. Looking at the demographics of Schaumburg it appears to be a pretty affluent part of Chicagoland, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaumburg%2C_Illinois

Well, Schaumburg is nice if you don't mind having to driving to do everything. I'm serious. You will have to drive to do everything.

I live in Oak Park, Il (early streetcar suburb of Chicago), but I worked for 2 years for Hoffman Estates, IL (neighboring muni. to Schaumburg to west) and now work a muni. 2 over to the northeast. Schaumburg is not very pedestrian/cyclist friendly. Bascially, the muni. consists of single-family subdivisions and commercial strip pods. There are numerous 4-6 lane wide roads and most service is located on these roads.

It is mostly post 1960 (heavy emphasis on 1970s) development - small, medium, largecommercial strip centers, residential neighborhoods of mostly ranches on curvy collector/cul-de-sac street patterns.

There is the Woodfield Mall corridor along Golf Rd with lost of bog box shopping and chain restaurants.

One saving grace is the large Busse Woods Forest Preserve between Schaumburg and Elk Grove Village. It's a good square mile of undeveloped woodland and prairie at the southeast corner of the intersection of I-90 and I-290/IL-53.

Good luck and I hope the place isn't too crushingly oppressive for you, like it would be for me.

Well, Schaumburg is nice if you don't mind having to driving to do everything. I'm serious. You will have to drive to do everything.

I live in Oak Park, Il (early streetcar suburb of Chicago), but I worked for 2 years for Hoffman Estates, IL (neighboring muni. to Schaumburg to west) and now work a muni. 2 over to the northeast. Schaumburg is not very pedestrian/cyclist friendly. Bascially, the muni. consists of single-family subdivisions and commercial strip pods. There are numerous 4-6 lane wide roads and most service is located on these roads.

It is mostly post 1960 (heavy emphasis on 1970s) development - small, medium, largecommercial strip centers, residential neighborhoods of mostly ranches on curvy collector/cul-de-sac street patterns.

There is the Woodfield Mall corridor along Golf Rd with lost of bog box shopping and chain restaurants.

One saving grace is the large Busse Woods Forest Preserve between Schaumburg and Elk Grove Village. It's a good square mile of undeveloped woodland and prairie at the southeast corner of the intersection of I-90 and I-290/IL-53.

Good luck and I hope the place isn't too crushingly oppressive for you, like it would be for me.

Sounds exactly like one of our suburbs (Wyoming, Mich.) This is what I was expecting, and I really won't be disapointed that much as I didn't expect walkability or hell even sidewalks. Atleast I should be able to find employment as the many strip mall/big box retail located in the village.

Thanks

Archived