Memphis-The 17th largest city in the nation?

Bears

From Emporis.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/co/?id=100185

1. New York City

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago

4. Houston

5. Philadelphia

6. Phoenix

7. San Antonio

8. San Diego

9. Dallas

10. San Jose

11. Detroit

12. Indianapolis

13. Jacksonville

14. San Francisco

15. Columbus

16. Austin

17. Memphis

18. Baltimore

19. Fort Worth

20. Charlotte

When did we move up a spot and who did we pass? Are there still alot of Katrina refugees in Memphis?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^We swapped spots with Baltimore, which has been in steady decline for many years now. However, Baltimore County is experiencing nearly quadruple the annual growth (0.84% to 0.26%) of Shelby County (though about 125,000 short of Shelby's population). Of course, neither's growth is that impressive. I have no clue as to the annexation laws or availability for Baltimore city, so it may be locked in and unable to use that tool to compensate for suburban flight as Memphis has done.

Detroit are losing population pretty quickly, but I don't know why.

I go to Detroit alot so I think I can answer that. Michigan law makes it almost impossible to annex land because along with cities, we have townships. Economically, Michigan isn't doing too well. Taxes are too high and crime, air quality, traffic, and schools in Detroit are horrible. White flight has caused the metro to sprawl with Ann Arbor and very close to Flint!

Flint is about 60 miles from Downtown Detroit but the sprawl of Oakland County has caused the gap between the two metros to be only about 15 miles. You can actually fly NWA from Flint's Bishop Airport to DTW :blink: Detroit is pretty dense but not "skyscraper dense". Mostly shotgun houses like you see in Orange Mound. There is alot of road construction and widening and reconstruction going on the roads but no subways or light rail planned. They have a "people mover" which is a raised monorail that was built around downtown but your stuck on the bus or in the car throughout the rest of the city. Its motor city so the resistance towards public transport is strong. Its not an urban city at all. Plus, they have the same problem as Memphis. Suburban mayors hate Detroit and even refuse to share a transportation system with the city. However, things are looking up. There are a few urban communities being developed in the inner city, but they'll have to fix the traffic anc crime problem before anything gets better IMO.

For comparison purposes, this is what it was in 1980 (today's rank in parenthesis)

1. N.Y. (1)

2. Chicago (3)

3. L.A. (2)

4. Phily (5)

5. Houston (4)

6. Detroit (11)

7. Dallas (9)

8. San Diego (8)

9. Baltimore (18)

10. San Antonio (7)

11. Phoenix (6)

12. Indy (12)

13. San Francisco (14)

14. MEMPHIS (17)

15. Washington (?)

16. San Jose (10)

17. Milwaukee (?)

18. Cleveland (?)

19. Columbus (15)

20. Boston (?)

So, we got passed up by San Jose, Columbus, Austin and Jacksonville but passed ahead of Baltimore.

^We swapped spots with Baltimore, which has been in steady decline for many years now. However, Baltimore County is experiencing nearly quadruple the annual growth (0.84% to 0.26%) of Shelby County (though about 125,000 short of Shelby's population). Of course, neither's growth is that impressive. I have no clue as to the annexation laws or availability for Baltimore city, so it may be locked in and unable to use that tool to compensate for suburban flight as Memphis has done.

Qwertycc, Baltimore City is an independent city. It cannot annex. It separated from Baltimore County. The interesting thing is that because of growth limits in Maryland that Baltimore may start growing again because there is a projected shortage of housing in the future in Maryland. Also many people who want to enjoy an urban lifestyle but have been priced out of DC are moving to Baltimore. Other independent cities are St. Louis and any city in Virginia. The funny thing about Virginia is that if a city incorporates it is no longer a part of a county.

Qwertycc, Baltimore City is an independent city. It cannot annex. It separated from Baltimore County. The interesting thing is that because of growth limits in Maryland that Baltimore may start growing again because there is a projected shortage of housing in the future in Maryland.

Those growth limits in Maryland is just pushing the sprawl north following I-83 up to southern York County,PA. But hopefully, with the high gases and all, people wouldn't want to do the 50 minute drive to Baltimore city and the city grows up.

Qwertycc, Baltimore City is an independent city. It cannot annex. It separated from Baltimore County. The interesting thing is that because of growth limits in Maryland that Baltimore may start growing again because there is a projected shortage of housing in the future in Maryland. Also many people who want to enjoy an urban lifestyle but have been priced out of DC are moving to Baltimore. Other independent cities are St. Louis and any city in Virginia. The funny thing about Virginia is that if a city incorporates it is no longer a part of a county.

Carson City, Nevada is also an Independent City (formerly Ormsby County). I had never heard that about Virginia incorporated cities, and I am somewhat puzzled over that. There are many incorporated communities in the state that are NOT Independent Cities, and some IC's have since been reabsorbed into their respective counties (South Boston & Clifton Forge, for example) without disincorporating.

^Here's another shocker...According to the Tunica Chamber of Commerce, Memphis metro is now at 1.4 million? That makes us the largest metro in TN once again. When did that happen?

http://www.tunicachamber.com/Content/SSBrochure1.pdf

And this quote from the Wisconsin Office of State Employment Relations backs it up:

Memphis is experiencing the return of African-American sons and daughters whose parents migrated to northern states. The Memphis MSA grew to 1.4 million people, an increase of nearly 13 percent between 1990 and 2000 but the African-American population grew to 495,000, an increase of 21 percent.

http://oser.state.wi.us/pgsub_detail.asp?l...2&linkid=27

^Here's another shocker...According to the Tunica Chamber of Commerce, Memphis metro is now at 1.4 million? That makes us the largest metro in TN once again. When did that happen?

http://www.tunicachamber.com/Content/SSBrochure1.pdf

And this quote from the Wisconsin Office of State Employment Relations backs it up:

Memphis is experiencing the return of African-American sons and daughters whose parents migrated to northern states. The Memphis MSA grew to 1.4 million people, an increase of nearly 13 percent between 1990 and 2000 but the African-American population grew to 495,000, an increase of 21 percent.

http://oser.state.wi.us/pgsub_detail.asp?l...2&linkid=27

If that's true(and I hope it is) Emporis.com needs to update. Eat that Nashville. :P(don't get mad)

That building's very skinny; looks like a very small floorplan compared to buildings next to it (i.e. 1st Tn).

Edit: I like the general concept, though (design, mainly), maybe not how it relates height-wise to the vicinity (too Mobile-esque?). Eh, to each his own.

I really don't see the humor of the Signature Tower. It's sharp, bold, and shows investment in a growing city. The thread is about Memphis being the 17th largest city in America, not a petty versus thread. Both cities should be proud of each other's progress and continued success. Congradulations Memphis!

Archived