Memphis-The 17th largest city in the nation?

Bears

Well I like it, and I think both cities should be proud of each others progress. Anyway back on topic, today I found something interesting, according to citymayors.com:http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/urban_2006_4.html

Memphis ranks 396th largest urban area in the world at ~1,060,000

and thats 38th in the US

and in 2020 we jump 26 spots to 370th in the world at ~1,240,000

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I like it, and I think both cities should be proud of each others progress. Anyway back on topic, today I found something interesting, according to citymayors.com:http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/urban_2006_4.html

and thats 38th in the US

Where are people getting that 1.4 million figure? I saw it a few times, and I've even head of those numbers mentioned in a few articles about the city...I think it's in some coffee table book my parents have about the world's cities or something like that

I really don't see the humor of the Signature Tower. It's sharp, bold, and shows investment in a growing city. The thread is about Memphis being the 17th largest city in America, not a petty versus thread. Both cities should be proud of each other's progress and continued success. Congradulations Memphis!

^I don't see the humor either. If Nashville was giving the finger to anyone, it would be Charlotte.

I was trying to be funny, but that really is my opinion. I think that it's a modern uglier version of the Chrysler Building in NY, and it's sticking up out of a bunch of 400, 500 footer towers, and supposedly a 600 footer tower, but only because the stupid looking spires on it. That's my opinion take it or leave. Yeah and I don't care if Im bringing up this topic in a Memphis thread again.

I was trying to be funny, but that really is my opinion. I think that it's a modern uglier version of the Chrysler Building in NY, and it's sticking up out of a bunch of 400, 500 footer towers, and supposedly a 600 footer tower, but only because the stupid looking spires on it. That's my opinion take it or leave. Yeah and I don't care if Im bringing up this topic in a Memphis thread again.

lol lets play nice before this thread is flooded by a hundred angry signature fans.... :P:blush:

and thats 38th in the US

It also has Memphis ranked 237 as the fastest growing urban area. I was hoping to see Nashville in the top 300, unfortunately, I couldn't find it.

^ I imagine that has to do with much of Nashville's growth not occurring contiguous to the central urban area, whereas most of Memphis's high growth areas (Southaven, Olive Branch, Horn Lake, Collierville, Germantown, Bartlett) are part of the urban area.

Archived