The Lansing State Journal

austinblair1861

The Legislature recently passed budget bills for the 2006-2007 fiscal year. The annual budget is the most important thing the Legislature does. It's really the only thing the Legislature is constitutionally required to do. The budget affects everyone in the state of Michigan. It affects the quality of elementary and secondary education, and the affordability of higher education. It affects access to medical care. It provides funding for environmental protection, road maintenance, and food safety. The budget should be of particular interest to the thousands of state employees and vendors who reside or do business in the Greater Lansing.

We hope that the budget provides sufficient funding to investigate, prosecute, and punish Ricky Holland

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I slightly disagree with your view, Austin, though I agree with most of it. They don't cover the legislator as good as they should, but they cover, very well, political campaigns. But, I do half agree with you. It's baffling that the STATE Journal wouldn't have a capitol correspondant. It seems much more like a local newspaper, which is fine by me as our local news stations do a pretty good job picking up where the paper leaves off concerning state government, but I do worry about those outside the area who the paper also has an obligation to considering it is the newspaper of the capital city and bears the name "state."

My biggest gripe with the paper is that the "local and state" section is so small. IMO, that should be the focus of the paper. Perhaps, we should shoot them an email.

Archived