Orlando ahead in rail service!

tampasteve

Well, once again it seems that other cities in the state are getting ahead of Tampa in the quest to bring alternative transportatoin options to the city. As can be read in the Orlando page Orlando has been approved for their commuter rail project. How is it that our city/county planners can be so inept as to not plan for our future? Imagine the prospect of a commuter line running from land O' Lakes through to Lutz and south into Down Town. Imagine a commuter line from Brandon into town. I am elated that Orlando has the foresight to build this system; now if only our county could do the same.

I emplore everyone to write/email the mayor, county leaders, and the MPO (metro planning organization) to encourage the development of rail transportation in our counties. Let's have a writing blitz to the people in charge so that they know how we feel.

Bravo Orlando! I hope that it works out great so that our leaders will see through the clouds and bring alternative to us as well!

Article about rail line

Steve

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Tampa Bay can't get something going shortly, the area will start losing out to the likes of Orlando in terms of economic development (ie. jobs). The business leaders are really pushing for it. It's a matter of convincing the elected officials and the public that it's worth it.

If Tampa Bay can't get something going shortly, the area will start losing out to the likes of Orlando in terms of economic development (ie. jobs). The business leaders are really pushing for it. It's a matter of convincing the elected officials and the public that it's worth it.

Tampa has already lost economically. The lack of a mass transit system was one (among others) of the main reasons that we lost the bid for the 2004 republican convention and may very well loose out to other cities with transit again for the 2008 convention, with Cleveland as a main contender against us that has a system in place already. The trend will just continue and grow as time goes and we have no plan being implemented for a transit system.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Tampa has the street car.

That is absolutly true. However, the one unfortunat thing about the street car is its rather short line as of now. The problem is that it was designed to link two tourist areas (Ybor and Channel Side), it does a great job of that, but it falls short of being a great commuter system. Again, it was not designed as a commuter system, it was designed to be a tourist line that would eventually expand and link to other transit systems such as light rail . Cincinatti has a comprehensive heavy rail line that links DT to many areas of the city. Eventually Tampa will have a system, but that is a good 7-10 years until the first major lines would open.

Steve

We have buses....why would we need rail? Nobody rides the buses so why would anyone ride the rails? Obvious Sarcasm!!!

The number of people riding Hartline has been increasing by 25% a year I think its up to 200,000. Even improving the bus system would be an option, but the obvious location for improved bus service is along I-275. But if you drive I-275 you can see how it would be very difficult to add more lanes. They need desiganted bus lanes on I-275 and more terminals sheltered waiting areas with aircondition, and parking.

• 2 weeks later...

The number of people riding Hartline has been increasing by 25% a year I think its up to 200,000. Even improving the bus system would be an option, but the obvious location for improved bus service is along I-275. But if you drive I-275 you can see how it would be very difficult to add more lanes. They need desiganted bus lanes on I-275 and more terminals sheltered waiting areas with aircondition, and parking.

that is also my major gripe with Orlando bus stops, save a few of them which stop inside malls and shopping centers and other employments centers and Lynx Central, of course. The others sometimes have a covering, but most do not. On some roads, they have created bus turn-off lanes with covered stops. I think the denser that these Florida cities get, the better the stops will become.

Archived