Deacon Tower

Metropolitan's

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

this tower has great height and presence. Now if we could just sell the coliseum to Wake Forest so we could build a better one downtown. That would provide Wake Forest with a whole sports and entertainment complex for all their activities. Anyways, Wake Forest basketball scheduling is why there aren't more events held at the coliseum now

thanks for the pix JerseyBoy! WFMY.com says its just about complete.

I would love for Wake to take over Deacon Blvd, and revamp it into a second campus. build a new coliseum downtown for the storm, cyclones, and possibly revive efforts for a MLS team. its a win-win.

I agree, sell the coliseum to Wake Forest as was done with Ernie Shore Field, and build a spectacular new coliseum downtown. Also, it's time to really enlarge BB&T Stadium; it's the smallest in the ACC in the 4th largest market. By the way, Wake Forest is going to turn Deacon Boulevard into a university village as in Chapel Hill and Charlottesville. It's more than rumors, it's on the drawing board.

Personally, as a Deacon fan (by blood), I love BB&T Field. I think the size is great for the school because they only have 4,000 students, and have a nice 31,000 seat stadium. That is pretty big for a school that size. Granted, the stadium could use some upgrades to the seating and stands themselves, but everything else is nice.

• 1 month later...

Deacon Tower will be open to the public on Aug. 28. future phases for Groves Stadium include more seating around the fieldhouse and seating in the east endzone. Also, which I think is new, a developed area connecting the stadium to Ernie Shore. the school plans to purchase the ballpark next month.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/au...r-has-a/sports/

• 1 month later...

I watched the game on ESPN last night (such as it was - how they won I don't know), and it was interesting to see the Dixie Classic Fair shots adjacent. The announcers mistakenly (but kept on) referred to it as the State Fair rather than Dixie Classic; well, hey why not, Oklahoma has two, equal State Fairs, one in Oklahonma City and one in Tulsa.

Archived