How much longer til a building beats BOA ?

Batou

Now it would be pretty cool if a building was built that beat the BOA tower as the tallest in the area, though the dissapointment would be that the top of the BOA tower is now considered "the crown" and having something being bigger would lessen the crown :( How long do you think the city has left til someone makes a building that will beat it?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it would be pretty cool if a building was built that beat the BOA tower as the tallest in the area, though the dissapointment would be that the top of the BOA tower is now considered "the crown" and having something being bigger would lessen the crown :( How long do you think the city has left til someone makes a building that will beat it?

I would assume the BoA corporate tower beating tower will be announced within the decade but will not break ground until at least next decade. I severely doubt it will be office spec. A condo is a possibility as TTT and Vue rival Hearst. As far as a top occupied floor, I don't think it will be too long. However, a tower to beat the "crown" of Charlotte may be some time away. Unless some other major company moves into Charlotte or a developer brings in a needle, BoA and WB are going to be the only tallest-superscraper builders for quite some time.

I think it is much more important for the city and developers to focus on making downtown and the rest of the city more liveable. A new tallest skyscraper does not do this, especially in a city such as Charlotte were there is so much vacant land in the downtown and surrounding area. While the bragging rights might stoke some people's ego (especially on certain skyscraper fanboi websites) it simply isn't that relevant to making a city, a city.

I think BOA tower has a lock on Charlotte's iconography for the forseeable future. Uptown really is a small island of towers surrounded by a sea of surface lots. I sure hope more of them are infilled and utilized in the future. It really deadens the feel of the area now.

One thing though, where were all these high rises in 1990? Charlotte exploded in height in the 90's and now is filling in the spaces. Pending the economy rebounds from the impending doom of 07', I'd expect another resurgence of growth again. It won't be within this decade, but with advancements in construction methods and the world-wide trend of building huge, it will happen here eventually. Possibly in the 2010's (how do you say that anyway?) we'll see something pop up as the new tallest because who would have predicted the way Charlotte looks today, or even what it is predicted to look like in three years? I can honestly say that the condo boom caught me by surprise. I figured Charlotte would get skipped over by that national trend at least. Glad I was wrong. Am I being optimistic? Of course, and I feel I have every right to be as superstructures are only going to get larger. Populations are going to get way too large to support the level of sprawl today. Charlotte can't keep growing outward or we're going to have some major problems in the next decade or so. By that time, a city in the sky might not be so farfetched.

I can envision a new tallest tower as being a part of a super-development of towers. Say 3-4 towers@ 44 floors, 49 floors, 58 floors, 75 floors.

It would be cool if they were built extremely tight, say on 1-2 lots only.

Of course Detroit's Ren Cen catches a lot of heat for it's blandness and the urban destruction of it's street level----but I really like the towers tightly cloistered and the tallest tower looks nice coming out from under the cluster:)

In my vision Charlotte's super-cluster should be done primarily in green glass, and call the development Emerald City. A city within a city!

I think it is much more important for the city and developers to focus on making downtown and the rest of the city more liveable. A new tallest skyscraper does not do this, especially in a city such as Charlotte were there is so much vacant land in the downtown and surrounding area. While the bragging rights might stoke some people's ego (especially on certain skyscraper fanboi websites) it simply isn't that relevant to making a city, a city.

You know what, as much as I'd like to see a tower that beats BOA, metro is right that we have to make the city more livable first.

• 3 weeks later...

You know what, as much as I'd like to see a tower that beats BOA, metro is right that we have to make the city more livable first.

Yep. As nice as the BOA tower looks, I've never stepped foot on any floor other than the lobby, on my way to the atrium. Can't say that does much for me. On the other hand, catching a flick at the new epicentre theatre after eating a nice meal at Ruth's Chris Steak house is more to my liking.

I'd love to see the new 3rd ward park take off soon. Living in Chattanooga at the time, the friends and I would enjoy a nice game of ultimate in the park before cooling off in the water fountain that shoots out of the ground. (much like centennial park in atl)

Yep. As nice as the BOA tower looks, I've never stepped foot on any floor other than the lobby, on my way to the atrium. Can't say that does much for me. On the other hand, catching a flick at the new epicentre theatre after eating a nice meal at Ruth's Chris Steak house is more to my liking.

I'd love to see the new 3rd ward park take off soon. Living in Chattanooga at the time, the friends and I would enjoy a nice game of ultimate in the park before cooling off in the water fountain that shoots out of the ground. (much like centennial park in atl)

Welcome aboard the UP train panthersGM! Nice to have your input and also your posts. Keep em' coming. :thumbsup:

A2

One thing though, where were all these high rises in 1990? Charlotte exploded in height in the 90's and now is filling in the spaces. Pending the economy rebounds from the impending doom of 07', I'd expect another resurgence of growth again. It won't be within this decade, but with advancements in construction methods and the world-wide trend of building huge, it will happen here eventually. Possibly in the 2010's (how do you say that anyway?) we'll see something pop up as the new tallest because who would have predicted the way Charlotte looks today, or even what it is predicted to look like in three years? I can honestly say that the condo boom caught me by surprise. I figured Charlotte would get skipped over by that national trend at least. Glad I was wrong. Am I being optimistic? Of course, and I feel I have every right to be as superstructures are only going to get larger. Populations are going to get way too large to support the level of sprawl today. Charlotte can't keep growing outward or we're going to have some major problems in the next decade or so. By that time, a city in the sky might not be so farfetched.

Kind of highlights a future our country will face at some point - a population of countries like India or China. Not anytime soon to reach the billion mark of course, but people must live densely at some point, might as well plan for it now. I wonder if they'll end up bulldozing large sections of Atlanta's sprawl as those days approach?

We should see another 100,000,000 people added to our country in the next 30 years at current rates, which are likely underestimations, the South being the largest of these regions, primarilly, Texas, Florida, Georgia and NC.

Honestly, there is no practical reason for Charlotte to have the 60 story BofA tower. It was built as a signature tower and statement for the bank operated by Hugh McColl. Until another company feels the need to do this, then it won't happen. We are a very long way from the densities that would dicate that you "have" to build skyscrapers.

Archived