Littering

I don't know if it's a big problem DT or not, but it seems to be a bit of a problem down by 54th & Division. Every night I leave work, there is always some trash... not just a couple small wrappers, but large objects just strewn about the parking lot. Littering is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, and I usually spend about 5 minutes picking up all this junk and placing it in a conveniently located trash recepticle right in front of the store. (Yet people don't seem to care to walk 2 feet to use it.) I've also been known to chase down customers who just dump their trash on the store floor or sidewalk.. which is quite sometihng because in person I'm rather reserved, quiet, and very polite. (Picture a Japanese person, and that is my public attitude.)

There's been several times there were even condoms strewn about the store lobby, found one last night on the floor. Tonight, there was a McDonald's bag and two sodas (one full) just chilling in one of the parking spaces immediately in front of the store, and again, two sodas after close just hanging out in the space next to my car. This disregard for public appearance, responsibility, uncleanliness, and laziness is downright disgusting.

I know there are fines involved for littering, but due to the sheer amount of and frequency of littering going on, I'd be surprised if these fines are even enforced at all.

Are there any local groups or organisations that deal with littering? If not, is anybody interested in banding up and doing something about it?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What store are you referring to?

It amazes me that in this day & age there are still slobs out there who toss their trash out the car window or leave their junk on the beach or whatever . . . . especially in an area w/ trash cans readily available!!!!!!!!!!!

. . . walking into the Rivertown Mall the other day (at the entrance on the 2nd level between Marshall Fiels & Kohls) I was disgusted by all the ciggy butts on the ground and the smokers hanging out there . . .did not know that was the smoking entrance. There are huge trash cans right there but they prefer to throw their butts on the ground. Nice image.

Its strange to me how many people that would normally not litter somehow don't consider cigarette butts to be litter. My pet peeve? People who smoke while driving and toss the remains out the window. They must be using their ashtray for coins.

Its strange to me how many people that would normally not litter somehow don't consider cigarette butts to be litter. My pet peeve? People who smoke while driving and toss the remains out the window. They must be using their ashtray for coins.

People that smoke are using their ashtrays for their brains.

My pet peeve is the idiots at the beaches that leave full bags of fast-food trash next to their cars in the parking lots.

I've seen this four times this summer already. Last night, a family eating Fat Ronald's in the parking lot watching the "sunset" (more like clouds and some lightening on the horizon) at Holland St. Park. I watched them open the door, put a full bag of trash (paper bag full of fast-food wrappers) on the ground next to the driver-side door, close the door and pull out.

This morning, I reported their license plate to park officials (after I cleaned up their mess).

I doubt anything will come of it (they were from Illinois, so I don't think MiDNR has any jurisdiction).

Anyway, that's very annoying to me.

Especially when your own car windows are down. I've had cigarette

butts come through the window, land in my lap, hit my arm, fly into

the back seat, and I'm not even a tailgater. :angry:

My cars MUST have air conditioning, now! Windows up.

Cigarette butts are the worst. I can see not throwing them in the trash, however, as they're hot and could start a fire. But they still should go in an ash tray.

-nb

most outdoor trashcans should have that little pile of sand on top to put butts into.

Archived