A Tiger in T-Town, Part 1

Randy Sandford

While the title of this thread will make since to my fellow Alabamians, I guess an explanation may be in order for the rest of you. Obviously from my avatar, I'm an Auburn fan. T-Town is a nickname for Tuscaloosa, home of the University of Alabama (Auburn's biggest rival). Most of you might be surprised to know that I lived in Tuscaloosa briefly between the ages of 3 and 4 (my old house is visible from I-59 between McFarland Blvd. and Cottondale), but this is where we were living when my parents divorced (which might explain how I, the son of a Bama fan, went on to attend Auburn University and now bleed orange and blue...LOL). My dad continued living in Tuscaloosa throughout most of the 1970's, so I spent many weekends and holidays visiting him in T-Town.

Anyway, my wife wanted to visit a few shops in Tuscaloosa that her mom had recommended, so we (my wife, son, and I) headed to Tuscaloosa today to do some shopping before football season kicks off next weekend. And being the shutterbug that I am, I decided to finally take some photos in and around Tuscaloosa while we were there.

First, here are views of Downtown Northport (Tuscaloosa's largest suburb located across the Black Warrior River):

P8230001.jpg

P8230002.jpg

P8230003.jpg

Downtown Tuscaloosa:

P8230008.jpg

P8230009.jpg

We then stopped at the University of Alabama for a brief walking tour. Here is Graves Hall:

P8230014.jpg

P8230015.jpg

Doster Hall and Bryant-Denny Stadium:

P8230017.jpg

The President's Mansion--completed in 1841 and one of the few structures that wasn't burned down by Union Troops during the Civil War in 1865:

P8230020.jpg

P8230021.jpg

P8230022.jpg

Denny Chimes, a campus landmark located across University Blvd. from the President's Mansion at the south end of The Quad, a large, grassy park at the heart of the campus:

P8230024.jpg

View of buildings lining the eastern edge of The Quad:

P8230025.jpg

Moore Hall and Little Hall:

P8230026.jpg

Looking towards the northwest across The Quad from near Denny Chimes:

P8230028.jpg

The base of Denny Chimes with the President's Mansion across the street:

P8230030.jpg

Gorgas Library, the central library located at the north end of The Quad (as you can see, Austin couldn't wait to climb all of those steps...LOL):

P8230032.jpg

P8230033.jpg

P8230034.jpg

Click HERE to continue to Part 2

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Randy !

I was in Birmingham yesterday, but didn't take any photos.

Since the "Iron Bowl" moved to a home-and-home series, I think a pretty good number of Alabama and Auburn fans have gained appreciation for the "rival" campus. The City of Tuscaloosa is currently considering a housing ordinance in its historic districts patterned directly after the zoning laws in Auburn.

Archived