Smyrna Master Plan Revealed

Justiceham

Smyrna is the little town that can. Its population is 36,000 and rising. It is seeing continued growth and now its officials have decided its time it have a master plan. The plan addresses where future growth is expected, major thoroughfares are placed or extended (and yes the Super Sam Ridley Corridor extension to Franklin is in the planning stages!), and parks are positioned. Here is the article below.

http://dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/.../608020318/1002

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad they decided to get on board, but I must say....fire coverage is a must.

There is a major fire going on just across the line in Lavergne right now and I would be willing to be every fire dept. in the county is at it too. Good fire coverage that's what I stand for on here! LOL!!!!

Lexy, when you say fire coverage do you mean more Fire Stations? It's not a major fire in La Vergne; it was an unexpected chemical release. I know the Fire department responded, but I just wanted clarification.

My own personal opinion as a resident of La Vergne is that Smyrna and La Vergne should team up; merge city governments. Smyrna has a ton of retail and retail growth. La Vergne has a ton of residents and residential growth. People live in La Vergne because it's less expensive and shop in Smyrna because it offers more. La Vergne's retail suffers because of it's proximity to Bell Road, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro; and while I won't say Smyrna's growth 'suffers' because of La Vergne, I will say that there are a lot of La Vergne residents like me who live just out side Smyrna because the property taxes are significantly lower (especially after the recent adjustment).

I'll also say that Smyrna is doing an awesome job at having more community parks spread throughout the community, wheras La Vergne only seems to want to add things to the already massive Veterans Memorial Park. I know they are working ona park for Lake Forest, but we really need a park in West La Vergne.

It would be interesting if Murfreesboro and Rutherford County consolidated. This would make a city of 218,292 +/-?

The Town of Smyrna has very intelligent and motivated leadership, lead by Mayor Spivey. Check out a Planning Commission or Town Council meeting and see. It seems unlikely that Murfreesboro could gobble up that group.

^ I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. There's no need for Murfreesboro to try to usurp that kind of authority.

Man, you seem to think everything is a dictatorship around here. Why? Have you spent time a city/county municipality before??? I can think of three off the top of my head that have been beyond succesfull at it. One is Lexington, KY.

Are you Libertarian or what?? Geez. It's not "authority" as you put it, but saving time, money, and problems in the long run. I don't mean to sound bad at all, but even in past discussions it's like the government can stay on their side of the fence, but dont you dare try to come over to my side. Fact is, government is everywhere so the best thing is to learn how to deal with it.

And my comment about the fire stations was a joke. I think it was obvious in the post that I was exaggerating on the whole thing.

It's high time Smyrna develops a master plan. LaVergne too, if they don't already have one. And finally, it would be best for all if every city in the Metro Nashville Metro area met together for a period of time each year, putting together an overall development plan for the entire Metro area, which would set goals and direction for each city's own plans. There's no sense in each city going off on their own, not knowing what the other is really trying to do. Besides the planners from each city could draw on the best ideas from each city and develop better plans.

It's high time Smyrna develops a master plan. LaVergne too, if they don't already have one. And finally, it would be best for all if every city in the Metro Nashville Metro area met together for a period of time each year, putting together an overall development plan for the entire Metro area, which would set goals and direction for each city's own plans. There's no sense in each city going off on their own, not knowing what the other is really trying to do. Besides the planners from each city could draw on the best ideas from each city and develop better plans.

Thank you Hank. A voice of reason on here.

I applaude Smyrna for taking extra steps to plan out the growth of their city.

Are you Libertarian or what?? Geez. It's not "authority" as you put it, but saving time, money, and problems in the long run. I don't mean to sound bad at all, but even in past discussions it's like the government can stay on their side of the fence, but dont you dare try to come over to my side. Fact is, government is everywhere so the best thing is to learn how to deal with it.

LOL!! I know it wasn't directed at me, but I see the words "libertarian" in a post and I must join in. :ph34r: I am a Big Time libertarian and I strongly object to your apologist attitude about defending personal freedom. New levels of government and expanded governmental powers/jurisdiction should be strongly opposed at every turn. Not only should the government "stay on their side of the fence", they should be as invisible and unintrusive as possible for average law abiding citizens. Only criminals should have occasion to consider the existence of the government, regular people should be able to live without really thingking about it.

Also, government has indeed invaded many areas of society that it should not (hence your "everywhere" reference), but that's all the more reason to fiercly oppose all government expansion.

I'm not trying to turn this into a political debate...I'm just saying don't act like ReliantJ is some kind of nay-sayer or social mal-content for expressing views that seem libertarian. The libertarian argument will blow through any other political philosophy like a cannon ball through wet toilet paper....:D

Now, back to discussing LaVergne & Smyrna...I like this thread.

LOL!! I know it wasn't directed at me, but I see the words "libertarian" in a post and I must join in. :ph34r: I am a Big Time libertarian and I strongly object to your apologist attitude about defending personal freedom. New levels of government and expanded governmental powers/jurisdiction should be strongly opposed at every turn. Not only should the government "stay on their side of the fence", they should be as invisible and unintrusive as possible for average law abiding citizens. Only criminals should have occasion to consider the existence of the government, regular people should be able to live without really thingking about it.

Also, government has indeed invaded many areas of society that it should not (hence your "everywhere" reference), but that's all the more reason to fiercly oppose all government expansion.

I'm not trying to turn this into a political debate...I'm just saying don't act like ReliantJ is some kind of nay-sayer or social mal-content for expressing views that seem libertarian. The libertarian argument will blow through any other political philosophy like a cannon ball through wet toilet paper....:D

Now, back to discussing LaVergne & Smyrna...I like this thread.

Hey that's cool. I mean no hard feelings at all by my comments. But the fact is that your beliefs, which I share many of actually, will be hard to get implemented in the good 'ole US of A. We both know that. LOL!!! Best thing is to start a new thread over in the other subforums about this if we wish for it to continue. Otherwise, are we cool??

While I said La Vergne and Smyrna should team up, I don't think that applies to the county as a whole. Smyrna and La Vergne have a lot in common with each other, but they share very little with Christiana who shares very little with M'boro who shares very little... I could go on. I think the city of Antioch would be much stronger without Nashville/Davidson County, but the county as a whole is much more similar than Rutherford as a whole. That's just my opinion, but I can't imagine having to deal with all the issues of Murfreesboro when I'm 15 miles away.

Hey that's cool. I mean no hard feelings at all by my comments. But the fact is that your beliefs, which I share many of actually, will be hard to get implemented in the good 'ole US of A. We both know that. LOL!!! Best thing is to start a new thread over in the other subforums about this if we wish for it to continue. Otherwise, are we cool??

We cool !! :D

Man, you seem to think everything is a dictatorship around here. Why? Have you spent time a city/county municipality before??? I can think of three off the top of my head that have been beyond succesfull at it. One is Lexington, KY.

I agree that this conversation would be more appropriate in a different thread, but since you specifically asked me some questions, I feel I should respond. First of all, I don't think that everything around here is a dictatorship, but I believe that civil government exerts too much influence into our daily lives as it is, and in this instance in particular I would hate to see Murfreesboro exerting itself into the lives of those who live in Smyrna, La Vergne, or elsewhere in the county.

I am not a libertarian, though I share several political beliefs in common with libertarians. I specifically am a Christian first and where politics are concerned a constitutionalist as well. As a wiser man than myself put succinctly, man is a fallen race that tends toward evil. The consolidation of government in my view is a bad thing because it often allows those who seek power to grab it and push for more.

There are absolutely spheres of authority that exist in this world. As the aforementioned wise man has said before, there is civil government, church government, and family government. Each has specific roles that wouldn't be properly suited to the purview of the others. Above all, God reigns supreme.

Unfortunately the civil government is all too often on my side of the fence where it has no business being. Just look at all of the unconstitutional (and therefore unlawful) bills that Congress and the president pass each year. Unfortunately due to the wanton disregard for the rule of law in this country, I have to learn to deal with the civil government's intrusion into my life pretty much everyday.

I mean no hard feelings at all by my comments. But the fact is that your beliefs, which I share many of actually, will be hard to get implemented in the good 'ole US of A. We both know that.

Even though that last quote was addressed to Kheldane, I'd like to comment as well and say first of all that you and I are definitely cool about this, Lexy. Secondly, I agree that it would be difficult to change this nation, but I'd like to offer you a challenge and ask what you're doing to get the beliefs you share with Kheldane and myself enacted? I know I don't do nearly enough, myself.

Finally, I'd like to thank Kheldane for his defense of my statement and for his wonderful take on the situation.

I apologize for taking us further off topic.

And now back to your regularly scheduled discussion on Smyrna, TN. :D

Finally, I'd like to thank Kheldane for his defense of my statement and for his wonderful take on the situation.

Well, I'd like to know, based on all you've said, why you're not a Libertarian :blink: . I've got more to say about this ReliantJ - so I've set up a new thread in the coffee house to keep this thread on track:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28960

• 4 months later...

Land leveling complete with blasting is going on in Smyrna at the site for the new Super Target. Also, they'll begin construction soon on the 2 new theatres in Smyrna. One will be built close to the Target behind Hickory Falls with the other one being built by Lowe's. Work is also beginning on the Chik-Fil-A by the Wendy's.

Land leveling complete with blasting is going on in Smyrna at the site for the new Super Target. Also, they'll begin construction soon on the 2 new theatres in Smyrna. One will be built close to the Target behind Hickory Falls with the other one being built by Lowe's. Work is also beginning on the Chik-Fil-A by the Wendy's.

Archived