Why is State blocking development?

TD

Article in the democrat today about how DCA keeps blocking developments in gadsden wakulla and leon counties.... its such garbage why dont the DCA go focus on pinellas hillsborough counties.... their is unrestrained growth there..

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article in the democrat today about how DCA keeps blocking developments in gadsden wakulla and leon counties.... its such garbage why dont the DCA go focus on pinellas hillsborough counties.... their is unrestrained growth there..

Okay :rolleyes: ...........

DCA has some very valid reasons for blocking these developments, if you read the article........lack of sewers, no coherent development pattern, et al. Gadsden County is obviously pissed off. I understand their wanting of growth, but at the same time they have to remain an attractive area. I mean, who wants to live in a place where there is a paper mill across from a residential neighborhood. Gadsden definitely needs growth (it's a craphole currently), but it needs to be smart. Whatever your opinions are about DCA, I think they're neccessary, if a neccessary evil.

Oh and your comments about the DCA.........silly rabbit, DCA is focusing on other areas as well! There's unrestrained growth in many areas of Florida. Want a prime example? Visit Broward County my friend. And then write me a postcard about the effects of unrestrained growth. Too bad DCA wasn't around back in the 1960s and 70s when Broward "came of age".

TallahasseeDowntown, there is a lot I could say to you about the intelligence level of your posts, but I'll bite my tongue for now.

As soon as I saw this posted in the Tallahassee Democrat Wednesday I instantly thought of Tallahasseedowntown and his past complaints. :rofl: That's what I love about this forum is all the different "flavors" that visit here and post there opinion.

On another note.... Is Gadsden County really a quote "Crap hole"? I was considering a quick visit to check it out. Glad I am not from Gadsden and reading this forum because my opinion of Tallahassee residents would have been lowered, now knowing what they or we think!

Broward county definitely needed the DCA!! It way out of control. Palm Beach county seems to have a better handle of things down south. Seems like they learned from Browards mistakes..... for now...

True I would never want our area to look like South and Central Broward between I-95 and the Turnpike....can you say hodge-podge??

In theory since I have a planning background, I understand and agree w/everything you say jpl02. However as a booster of this area and especially since it seems that parts of Gadsden are finally turning the corner on growth and development, this DCA ruling does frustrate me. If any county in our region needs growth, it's Gadsden (although not ALL areas of Gadsden are a craphole) however you are right, they need good quality growth and in the end the DCA ruling will be best for all.

But it still disappoints me!

On another note.... Is Gadsden County really a quote "Crap hole"? I was considering a quick visit to check it out. Glad I am not from Gadsden and reading this forum because my opinion of Tallahassee residents would have been lowered, now knowing what they or we think!

I was a bit harsh I guess. What I meant by that is that Gadsden is poor and there are a lot of run down areas that could use the attention of new development. Everyone I know in town knocks Gadsden, even people that live there!

I love you too, TallahasseeDowntown. Notice how I'm kind to everyone on the forum but you. Kinda makes you think, huh? Kisses for you (blows kisses).

(sarcasm) yeah, damn the DCA! i wish we could have uncontrolled, badly planned developments all over North Florida! I mean, c'mon, the developers aren't out to just make a buck, they really care about the rural counties they are invading... i can't wait until 19N & 19S are wall to wall strip malls!!! and who needs infrastructure? build your sub division anywhere! we'll bring the sewer lines and roads to you! <_< (/sarcasm)

jpl02, i second your first post in this thread, well said!!! the DCA serves a valuable purpose.

For all of those concerned about us becoming another version of "The Villages". I second that! I've seen what becomes of beautiful farmland in central Florida and it makes me want to cry (most of it). Seems they'll throw up a Wal-Mart, Office Depot, a few chain restaurants, gas stations, hospital and mall anywhere. There seem to be so many clogged arteries through Central Florida that the state is playing catch-up to widen

The growth seems incompatible with its surroundings. I don't know what it is with me, but I hate seeing these massive fancy neighborhood entrances off of a highway with the palm trees and fountains shooting water into the air, then right next door a Wal-Mart, or a Gas station, or a mall. Those are incompatible uses in my opinion, yet it seems those who buy in area like this and don't care.

And let's not even mention the absence of REAL trees. Something about all of that perfect grass, and the pretty landscaping, and the fancy signs, and gates seem so fake without real trees.

When I drove around north tampa/wesley chapel area last week, I felt like someone left a two-mile long CD on repeat. It was the same big box stores, residential developments, and fast food places over and over and over.

Was it Blair Witch project when the kept ending up at the same part of the forest they were in a few hours ago?

I agree and understand what you are saying TJ.....well as long as you aren't "dogging" the palm tree completely. :)

Keep in mind though that much of the forest of Lake County (I'm assuming that's one of the areas you are talking about on your 27 drive to O-town) was cut down to make room for large scale citrus production. It was widely abdandoned in Lake County after many severe freezes in the 80's (1983 & 1989 were really bad.)

But I too don't like the hodge-podge that is in that area. My BIL/SIL live in a new house in Clermont, a town that has boomed. All of those homes you see on the hill in Clermont near SR50 and the Turnpike are ALL on septic tanks. Where was DCA when Clermont started to boom and build from a rural area much like Gadsden to tract housing suburbia. It only happened a few years ago.

Every time we visit them, I say damn all this tacky stuff looks like it was put up in a hurry yesterday, then I remember, it was.

I was a bit harsh I guess. What I meant by that is that Gadsden is poor and there are a lot of run down areas that could use the attention of new development. Everyone I know in town knocks Gadsden, even people that live there!

I love you too, TallahasseeDowntown. Notice how I'm kind to everyone on the forum but you. Kinda makes you think, huh? Kisses for you (blows kisses).

The only prob is that the run down areas aren't being redeveloped. If they were, DCA would probably have been more supportive of Gadsden's plan.

I have only drove through "The Villages" once, so correct me if I am wrong but isn't all that stuff developed like that because it is almost all a retirement community so every thing is built awkwardly so everything would be easy to access for the elderly or handicappable. That is what I was told by a friend that has elderly parents that live there. They said that the design of "The village" serves its purpose very well for the handicapped... that's one of the reasons why they have a bridge that you can drive over with a golf cart.

I am only asking not stating my opinion.

Yeah the golf cart is king at The Villages. They have the fanciest golf carts you've ever seen. Many senior's identities and personalities are displayed on their carts...American Flags, Italian Flags, Polish Flags, names of grandchildren, some even are built to look like Mercedes Benz and other cars. They have golf cart trails all over the place to get from the subdivisions to the main shopping areas. Many homes are sold not only w/a car garage, but also w/a separate golf cart garage and the home is advertised that way. There's also separate parking for cars and golf carts w/golf carts getting the closer spots in most cases.

Wow I know way too much about this place. Here's the main web site so you too can be an expert on it: The Villages

My family has a little house in Umatilla, Florida in Lake County. Since no one is usually there for any length of time, our TV just gets the most basic of basic cable. One of the channels we get is the station solely for The Villages (VNN Channel 2). I defy anyone not to watch and become mesmorized. They do televized home tours (where you get to see the golf cart garages poonther mentioned) and various segments on all there is to do in the Villages. Fascinating and disturbing all at once :)

I agree and understand what you are saying TJ.....well as long as you aren't "dogging" the palm tree completely. :)

Keep in mind though that much of the forest of Lake County (I'm assuming that's one of the areas you are talking about on your 27 drive to O-town) was cut down to make room for large scale citrus production. It was widely abdandoned in Lake County after many severe freezes in the 80's (1983 & 1989 were really bad.)

But I too don't like the hodge-podge that is in that area. My BIL/SIL live in a new house in Clermont, a town that has boomed. All of those homes you see on the hill in Clermont near SR50 and the Turnpike are ALL on septic tanks. Where was DCA when Clermont started to boom and build from a rural area much like Gadsden to tract housing suburbia. It only happened a few years ago.

Every time we visit them, I say damn all this tacky stuff looks like it was put up in a hurry yesterday, then I remember, it was.

Poonther you are exactly right. The reason that most citrus groves and farmland are being cleared for all of these developments is because they are not very profitable anymore. It makes a lot more sense to the owners to take the (outrageous) guaranteed money developers were offering.

Clermont is amazing. I remember literally a few years ago when that town was considered in the "boondocks" and not at all considered Orlando. Now there is no distinction between the two.

The Villages are quite a place, I recommend checking it out. All the restaurants and shopping areas are packed full of golf carts, not cars. Its like a fantasy world, and to them it is.

Archived