Blue 35 - 35 Oakes - Heartside Manor/Merten Hotel

mgreven

That's what I was thinking. I'm usually not the one that wants a building to come down due to parking, but it would depend on the physical state of the bar and its historical significance. A parking lot can always be converted into something way better in the future. If it is as bad as what Dad says, then it should go.

I wouldn't mind seeing it torn down for a "temporary" parking lot. It would save a step when they need to build a new 10-12 story building on that corner lot for more housing in the future. ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like the DDA gave this project unanimous support!

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...vations_be.html

If all the pieces fall into place, according to Rockford Constrution, work could begin before the end of the year. Also, the HPC did not give approval to tear down Maxie's because Rockford did not have a redevelopment plan for that site (they didn't want it left as another surface lot). Anyone got any redevelopment ideas for Maxie's?

I was walking down Commerce the other day and couldn't help thinking that it's got the potential to be one of Grand Rapids' coolest streets. It has a nice streetwall of buildings on both sides for several blocks. Add in 38 Commerce and it will rock!

Weird rendering. It looks like the building is leaning over. They could have corrected the perspective a bit.

That, and the other buildings in the rendering are totally off. There aren't windows on the side of the adjacent building, and 70 Ionia doesn't look like that. Unless they're making some major changes, even the ground floor of 35 Oakes doesn't look at all like that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Geez. How did this building fall apart so quickly over the course of 5 years?

Some buildings seem to fall apart even quicker in Detroit. It all depends on how well maintained and secured they are. If water can get in, if people can get in, they certainly aren't going to last as long.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
New windows! This and the opposite corner are about to get a whole lot better looking. 6993874615_4cc768d09a_z.jpg

It's pretty exciting to finally see this building getting some attention! I've been admiring the windows every morning as I ride by on my detoured commute to work.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

The addition to 25 Oakes is pretty big.  I didn't notice it until you posted that pic Jeff.  I couldn't  tell from street level, which is a good thing.  

I'm glad to see that they are filling the street level space.  It make sense for Interphase to move there since the building is really a showroom for Haworth products.

Archived