Blue 35 - 35 Oakes - Heartside Manor/Merten Hotel

mgreven

On New Hotel Mertens Instagram account they've posted some discoveries during their demo including original tile floor in the basement (and that floor is amazing btw) and also a couple of interesting wall papers.  The Instagram post about the basement mentions that way-back-when there was a stairwell from the street-level on Oakes down to a public-use door in the basement  that had a cafe and a barber shop (thus the need to have a finished, tile floor).  Interesting!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GRain said:

On New Hotel Mertens Instagram account they've posted some discoveries during their demo including original tile floor in the basement (and that floor is amazing btw) and also a couple of interesting wall papers.  The Instagram post about the basement mentions that way-back-when there was a stairwell from the street-level on Oakes down to a public-use door in the basement  that had a cafe and a barber shop (thus the need to have a finished, tile floor).  Interesting!

Really interesting. Love the floors in this building! Welcome to the forum BTW. 

Here's the Instagram post for anyone that doesn't follow them / not on IG:

hotelmertens.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Led by Studio Park, the center of gravity for downtown seems to be shifting a bit southward.    

This sign has replaced the Interphase sign.   Looks like a corner bakery.   That's quite an upgrade from a furniture showroom that was always empty.  ...probably using what-was the Interpahse doors for it on that corner.   Maybe outdoor seating for the bakery or restaurant?  My imagination can run wild on this because it could be a very pretty setup on that corner.    Good news indeed.

Bakerysign.png

4 minutes ago, GRain said:

Led by Studio Park, the center of gravity for downtown seems to be shifting a bit southward.    

This sign has replaced the Interphase sign.   Looks like a corner bakery.   That's quite an upgrade from a furniture showroom that was always empty.  ...probably using what-was the Interpahse doors for it on that corner.   Maybe outdoor seating for the bakery or restaurant?  My imagination can run wild on this because it could be a very pretty setup on that corner.    Good news indeed.

I love outdoor seating, and I'm sure they could fit some in, but those sidewalks are pretty tight there.    BTW, where did Interphase go?   They seem to bounce from place to place downtown.  I see the have a location on Eastern, is that it now? 

3 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I love outdoor seating, and I'm sure they could fit some in, but those sidewalks are pretty tight there.    BTW, where did Interphase go?   They seem to bounce from place to place downtown.  I see the have a location on Eastern, is that it now? 

Went to New Hotel Mertens a few weeks ago and it was delicious. Excited to see what they do with a french bakery. And those floors. That building has some of the best original floors in all of GR. 

Joe

On 2/12/2019 at 9:37 AM, mpchicago said:

Yes, Interphase  apparently consolidated as many of their operations under one roof as possible.   Makes sense.

22 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here's a cool rendering of what the new bakery/cafe will look like with outdoor seating. 

43ZQ7HFJQZH2BA7ULV7XLUUSNU.jpg

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/02/new-bakery-cafe-planned-for-downtown-grand-rapids-restaurant.html

That's a great rendering.  Exciting for that corner.

Even more exciting is the $10 min delivery of breakfast and lunch.   And as much as I might order from Jimmy John's or walk over to 2 Beards and like both well enough, neither will likely approach the quality of these sandwiches and salads, etc.  So I am glad to see them try to increase their "daytime" offering with the free delivery being real icing on the cake.   

Free delivery at reasonable minimums might be a small step for many cities, but to make it more widespread here would be a giant leap for Grand Rapids.

Archived