Intown Retail/Dining Scene

Martinman

I thought we needed a thread on the growing retail/dining options in the core of the city. I think we will be getting more and more exciting news as more developments ramp up and the street level retail that's been added seems to filling a lot quicker than say the Metropolis and Tech Square did just a couple of years ago.

Coming to Plaza Midtown...

J. Christopher's

Consistently voted one of Atlanta's best brunch spots, J. Christopher's serves breakfast, lunch and brunch. With almost a dozen Atlanta locations, J. Christopher's is expected to open this fall at The Plaza Midtown.

Steel

Slated to open in first quarter 2007, Steel is making its first foray outside of Dallas with this Midtown location. Offering Japanese and Indo-chine cuisine, this cosmopolitan restaurant has received national accolades from Esquire and Wine Spectator magazines.

DRESSED, "Salads with Style"

Scheduled to open late summer or early fall 2006, DRESSED is a sophisticated yet casual eatery. Owner Justin Smolev's fast and casual dining concept offers creative, fresh ingredients. DRESSED is perfect for the salad lover looking for an inspired and satisfying meal in a chic, but fun environment.

Signature Day Spa

Scheduled to open early fall 2006, this spa will offer massage, skin care, tanning and nail services with on-site amenities, including sauna and steam.

Marlow's Tavern

Shceduled to open in the spring of 2007, will occupy 4,000 square feet and will include communal tables in the bar area and large booths throughout to give a neighborhood bar feel.

Synergy Multimedia

will open its 1,408-square-foot The Plaza Midtown store (its second Atlanta location) during fourth quarter 2006. Synergy Multimedia designs, installs and services custom home theaters, Web-enabled home automation and more.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

905 Juniper will soon be adding a few new places from the guys who brought us Sotto Sotto and Fritti.

Cuerno - a tapas restaurant

Beleza - I've heard 2 different descriptions of this place. It's either a South American seafood restaurant or a Brazilian Juice Bar (ignore the word juice)

Chocolate Pink Pastry Cafe - Elegant desserts - coffee/espresso and croissants/danish

905 Juniper will soon be adding a few new places from the guys who brought us Sotto Sotto and Fritti.

Cuerno - a tapas restaurant

Beleza - I've heard 2 different descriptions of this place. It's either a South American seafood restaurant or a Brazilian Juice Bar (ignore the word juice)

Chocolate Pink Pastry Cafe - Elegant desserts - coffee/espresso and croissants/danish

Cool. I've seen the signs but was unable find any info on the businesses.

Call me Scrooge, but I'm getting tired of yet more restaurants and day spas opening in Midtown. It's not like we need them. Can we get some retail where one can actually leave the store with a bag, please?

Good thread, however, for announcing new businesses. :)

I think catlike has a point in some respects. It would be nice to see some more retail coming to Midtown as well.

Mmmmm...... I can taste it already. :)

Call me Scrooge, but I'm getting tired of yet more restaurants and day spas opening in Midtown. It's not like we need them. Can we get some retail where one can actually leave the store with a bag, please?

Fear not, Cat, Atlantic Station will soon have its own Tar-Jay. Now that's the sign of a maturing community!

:thumbsup:

^^^ I second that Andrea :P

Acutally I was going to post an article in the Business Chronicle titled "Vertical retail will transform Peachtree " but its in their new subscribers only section.

At any rate it discussed what's different about the 38,000 sf retail space planned for 1010 Midtown which is that is was designed with enough flexiblilty so that it can accomodate multi-story, flagship tenants.

The type tenants Selig is shooting for are H&M, Ralph Lauren, and Apple. They say they intend to be selective as much as possible and sign "lifestyle" type tenants

It wasn't mentioned in the article but at least part of the Viewpoint phase I is designed similarly.

Designed to look something like this...

filenesbasementlensflarezq6.jpg

Fear not, Cat, Atlantic Station will soon have its own Tar-Jay. Now that's the sign of a maturing community!

:thumbsup:

Bah, I want retail in Midtown, not Atlantic Station. I want Peachtree to be covered in fantastic retail all the way through Midtown.

Martinman's photo is impressive. I'd be happy with that. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

I am just wondering how much more retail we can offer without duplicating (cannabalizing) stores already in a mall. Most of the retail that would truly make an urban mix along Peachtree in Midtown is already in Lenox or Phipps. I'm trying to picture what stores we could try to get to open a large flagship along our "Magnificent Mile."

Perhaps...

RUEHL No.925*

Puma*

Apple

Urban Outfitters

Hammacher Schlemmer*

Prada*

Bvlgari*

Solstice

Zara*

Sony Style*

Swatch

Fendi*

Armani Exchange

Metropark

Club Monaco

Emporio Armani*

Yves St. Laurent"

Ralph Lauren*

Chanel*

Duo*

Stuart Weitzman

Manaolo Blahnik

*New to the Atlanta Market

These are just some that I could think of off the top of my head. Any other suggestions? (I cannot believe some of these haven't come to Atlanta yet!!)

What about

Zegna*

Banana Republic

FCUK

North Face*

H&M*

All of those chains typically do urban stores in upscale shopping districts.

Interestingly, here in Boston, there are several stores that have boutiques on Newbury St. and another location in Copley Place less than 5 blocks away.

I am just wondering how much more retail we can offer without duplicating (cannabalizing) stores already in a mall. Most of the retail that would truly make an urban mix along Peachtree in Midtown is already in Lenox or Phipps. I'm trying to picture what stores we could try to get to open a large flagship along our "Magnificent Mile."

I think in the beginning these are the type of stores that are most likely in Midtown where the demographic is still mostly the 25-40 range (but that is beginning to change).

Banana Republic

FCUK

North Face*

H&M*

They're going after designer stores that aren't necessarily super high-end and brands that are popular but aren't in every mall in the metro. And they're definately going after retailers that aren't in Atlanta at all.

Think of it as if it were in the Perimeter area which is almost the same distance from Lenox/Phipps as Peachtree and 10th in Midtown. Retail there, with many of the same stores as in Buckhead, is supported by its residents, workers and visitors and the Midtown market will do the same.

Perhaps...

RUEHL No.925*

Puma*

Apple

Urban Outfitters

Hammacher Schlemmer*

Prada*

Bvlgari*

Solstice

Zara*

Sony Style*

Swatch

Fendi*

Armani Exchange

Metropark

Club Monaco

Emporio Armani*

Yves St. Laurent"

Ralph Lauren*

Chanel*

Duo*

Stuart Weitzman

Manaolo Blahnik

*New to the Atlanta Market

These are just some that I could think of off the top of my head. Any other suggestions? (I cannot believe some of these haven't come to Atlanta yet!!)

Doesn't Atlanta already have Ralph Lauren at Lenox? :blink:

Doesn't Atlanta already have Ralph Lauren at Lenox? :blink:

Yes you are right. Sorry about that. I do think a larger, flagship Ralph Lauren would be nice in the base of a Midtown condo building.

It is interesting that Atlanta has matured enough to have defined submarkets, all that have demographics that can support multiple stores even in higher end categories. Ann Taylor is a good example. There are Ann Taylor stores in Atlantic Station, Lenox, Phipps, Perimeter, and Avenue East Cobb. That's four stores of this upper middle class retailer all within a 10 mile radius of each other. That is a good sign that retailers have a great deal of confidence that Atlanta's submarkets (ie Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, etc.).

This all bodes well for an explosion of street level retail in Midtown, even if it means the replication of several stores already existing in the market. However, the stores that do not exist in the market need to get on the ball. If Houston can support Fendi, Chanel, and Prada then so can Atlanta!!

• 2 weeks later...

Seeger's gets reprieve

Published on: 08/31/06

Chef Guenter Seeger has found the means to raise his namesake Buckhead restaurant from the ashes despite his announcement three weeks ago that he planned to sell the restaurant and leave the city.

But friends and fans responded in such number that Seeger extended his closing date twice. Now, Fidelity Bank chairman James Miller

Archived