Intown Retail/Dining Scene

Martinman

'Midtown Mile' project angling for big-name retailers - AJC

One of the biggest challenges is just getting the message out. ... Atlanta retail has forever been associated with Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza, and a lot of the retailers we're talking to just have no idea what Midtown offers," said Shirley Gouffon,

By 2010, Midtown will add more than 3 million square feet of office space, 4,000 residential units and more than 700,000 square feet of retail in new developments, according to the Midtown Alliance.

Within the next three years, developers say they'll have 1 million square feet of retail, the equivalent of a major mall. "That figure is important because it's hard to get the attention of the more significant national retailers," Gouffon said. "Some of the retailers we're talking to only do five or six deals a year, so they're looking for something really big."

• 1 month later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urban Outfitters has announced plans to open a 14,000 sf store at Ponce and N. Highland at the former MarketOne gourmet food site.

They did in fact consider locating at Viewpoint but decided to go with the "neighborhood feel" at Poncey-Highland (which I interpret to mean the rent was much cheaper).

Urban Outfitters has announced plans to open a 14,000 sf store at Ponce and N. Highland at the former MarketOne gourmet food site.

They did in fact consider locating at Viewpoint but decided to go with the "neighborhood feel" at Poncey-Highland (which I interpret to mean the rent was much cheaper).

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to mention how cool the Urban Outfitters is looking in Po-Hi. The neon letters are beautiful and fit the Deco architecture wonderfully. This is such a great shopping option for this area of town, and I think it fits better here than it would have on the Midtown Mile. Midtown is trendy and worldly (with a more urban attitude than Buckhead); Ponce de Leon and Highland Avenue are low key and hipster.

• 1 month later...

-A new boutique opening at MidCity lofts is called Drew Lewis and will carry "an assortment of labels, including A.P.C. and Band of Outsiders, for both men and women".

-As reported in the Business Chronicle, Ludacris is partnering with chef Chris Yeo of San Francisco to open a restaurant in the former Spice location. Straits

-I've recently heard rumors that Zara is planning a second Atlanta store somewhere in Midtown.

Also, I found a pic of the new Urban Outfitters location

urban.JPG

Archived