Intown Retail/Dining Scene

Martinman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if that weren't the case we wouldn't have threads about reestablishing retail in the city.

This is no shock to anyone as Boston is one of the model Big cities in the country.

I agree. I love our fair city but it will never be urban in the same sense as Boston, New York, Philly or any of the old cities of the Northeast. We were simply built on a different model.

That doesn't mean we can't have a pleasant quality of life, and do some things to lessen our total dependence on the automobile in at least some parts of town.

Frankly, I'm not sure trying to replicate the Northeastern cities is the best expenditure of our energies and resources. Although we won't have the density of those areas, that's not necessarily a bad thing. We can still work to counteract some of the negative effects of sprawl, and maybe even teach the older cities something about that in the process.

• 1 month later...

A glimpse of Midtown's future can be seen on the new Midtown Mile website

Click on "Vision" to see renderings of the future Midtown shopping district :shades: , an updated rendering of Viewpoint :thumbsup: and a closeup of the 1010 Midtown retail :thumbsup::thumbsup: .

It also has this list of "Proposed & Permitted Projects" some of which have not yet been announced.

1. Fox Plaza . Cousins Properties Inc . 18,000 sq feet retail (phase 1) . Delivers 2008

2. The Georgian Terrace Hotel & Condo (repositioning and new construction)

....Ceebraid-Signal . 50,000 sq feet retail . Delivers 2008

3. Mixed-Use. Cartel Realty . 25,000 sq feet retail . Delivers 2009

4. ViewPoint . Novare Group . 46,000 sq feet retail . Delivers 2009, phase 1

5. Hotel & Condo Tower . Hines . 30,000 sq feet retail . Delivers 2009

7. Midtown Square . Dewberry Capital Corporation . 140,000 sq feet retail

8. 1010 Midtown . Daniel Corporation & Selig Enterprises . 40,000 sq feet retail . Delivers 2008

9a. 1063 Peachtree . 70,000 sq feet retail . Delivers 2009

9b. 1090 Peachtree . 70,000 sq ft retail

10. Colony Square Retail Repositioning . Tishman-Speyer . 140,000 sq feet retail

Midtown_Mile_Map.jpg

Martinman thanks for the update and the link to the website. This WILL come to fruition and will make for an excellent shopping experience. There is already much more retail in that location that I ever thought would be. I'm glad that a website was made so people can see the finally result now. I've walked that stretch before and it is a very easy walk...only a few slight inclines/declines here and there.

I really like the vision for Midtown retail. I was in Atlanta last weekend and I was a little bummed by the lack of retail in Midtown. I haven't been to ATL in about five years. I think if many of these projects come to fruition then the city will have more a big city feel. I hope so b/c it is somewhere I would consider living.

I am surprised Atlanta doesn't have an H&M yet.

• 2 weeks later...

CoStar's interview with Midtown Alliance president Susan Mendheim on the Midtown Mile concept

We have population density -- 30,000 people living within a few blocks of the Midtown Mile right now. That's expected to increase to 52,000 within the next four years.

All of the 770,000 square feet of new development along the Midtown Mile is being designed with the presence that national retailers seek. In other words, it's designed for flagship retail

I'm kicking myself for not posting this here sooner. Tonight (November 4th) is the tenth MARTA Pub Crawl. I've got a great selection of pubs and bars lined up with about half of them being open for less than a year. If you want to sample what Atlanta has to offer, this is a great event to get to try lots of different places across town all in one evening.

We start at 6pm at the Irish Bred Pub in Underground Atlanta (if you've never been to Underground, the bars are all located in the section named Kenny's Alley). You can find more information at http://www.sunrepublic.org

We had several forumers show up for the last one and I had a great time getting to know them.

Trois, the three level restaurant in the 1180 Peachtee Building is opening on November 13th. They had a private grand opening this past Friday evening as a charity fundraiser but it looked like they still had some last minute details to take care of before inviting in the general public. From what I've seen through the windows, it looks pretty nice. The other restaurant in the 1180 is under construction but it looks like it will be sometime next year before it is ready to go.

There was an article in the ajc's entainment rag that the Cheetah is not closing and they're not selling their land for redevelopment. Given the number of other undeveloped lots in the area and the fact that adult entertainment businesses, especially on with a national reputation like the Cheetah, make lots and lots of money, the real estate prices need to go up some more before it makes sense for them to close down or move to a less visible location. Maybe before that happens they will sell the development rights to their parking lot in exchange for some money and use of the parking deck in whatever would be built on the parking lot. In general the Cheetah building isn't really good or bad but the parking lot is terrible and should have something done with it.

There is also finally a restaurant opening in what once was the "Waterhouse". It never actually opened under that name but the signs went up a year or 2 ago.

The new restaurant, Sweet Lowdown opens next Wednesday at 942 Peachtree St. Across the street from Metropolis.

http://www.atlantabuzz.com/program/eventDetails.cfm?id=5875

Sweet Lowdown

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The business chronicle reports the Jamestown investments just purchased 999 Peachtree and are eager to help bring the 'Midtown Mile' vision to reality. They plan to reposition the retail by extending it all the way out to the corner of 10th street and Peachtree where the fountain is currently located.

• 1 month later...

'Midtown Mile' takes shape - AJC

Efforts to create a "Midtown Mile" filled with upscale stores, restaurants and services are gaining momentum

with developers, who are so encouraged by early discussions they are adding new street-level space to their projects.

Conor McNally, Novare's developer for Viewpoint, said his negotiations for space in Midtown are generating widespread interest.

The developers are negotiating with some really exciting brand names, national and international retailers, some of whom are not even in Atlanta right now," she said.

VISION AND REALITY

Midtown Mile: A plan to make the corridor on Peachtree Street from the Woodruff Arts Center to the Fox Theatre into an upscale shopping and restaurant district, a la Chicago's "Magnificent Mile" on Michigan Avenue.

Right now: 230,000 square feet of shopping, services and restaurants already exist.

By 2010: Another 370,000 square feet.

Goal: 1 million square feet by 2012.

HOUSING BOOMOfficials say housing unit growth within Midtown Mile walking distance will attract retail.

2010 projection: 13,316

2005 estimate: 11,511

2000 census: 9,384

1990 census: 6,514

Source: Buxton Co.

'Midtown Mile' takes shape - AJC

VISION AND REALITY

Midtown Mile: A plan to make the corridor on Peachtree Street from the Woodruff Arts Center to the Fox Theatre into an upscale shopping and restaurant district, a la Chicago's "Magnificent Mile" on Michigan Avenue.

Right now: 230,000 square feet of shopping, services and restaurants already exist.

By 2010: Another 370,000 square feet.

Goal: 1 million square feet by 2012.

HOUSING BOOMOfficials say housing unit growth within Midtown Mile walking distance will attract retail.

2010 projection: 13,316

2005 estimate: 11,511

2000 census: 9,384

1990 census: 6,514

Source: Buxton Co.

The 2010 projection seems low to me, assuming the 2005 # was accurate.

The Spire, Plaza Midtown and 905 Juniper are all new since 2005. Then add Aqua, ViewPoint I and 1010 Midtown and I think those projects alone comprise more than 1800 new housing units.

The 2010 projection seems low to me, assuming the 2005 # was accurate.

The Spire, Plaza Midtown and 905 Juniper are all new since 2005. Then add Aqua, ViewPoint I and 1010 Midtown and I think those projects alone comprise more than 1800 new housing units.

I am well aware of the fact that I am not Martinman, but I feel I can answer this. I know the owner of LocaLuna and last time I spoke with him he was searching for wharehouse space in the Howell Mill area. Suffice it to say that whatever course he decides to take, the LocaLuna that we all know and love will be torn down in app. 15 months or so...maybe sooner. :cry:

• 2 months later...

Archived