Monroe North vs. Heartside District vs. West Side

GRDadof3

Which district do you think will top the others in downtown in the next 5 - 10 years?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which district do you prefer in the downtown area?

• Monroe North
    • Heartside
    • West Side
    • All three are kickin!
    • Other

All 3 are "welter weight contenders" ready for battle!

Monroe North: Currently houses the most residents of any downtown area, large riverfront park with easy access to Riverside Park and the White Pine Trail, art galleries, brewpub, eateries, deli's, a church, historic factories, medical institution, law firms, Brass Works commercial offices, Gemini Publications, close proximity to Health Care Hill, views of downtown, North Monroe boulevard, loft condos, more planned projects on the way - you know it!

Heartside Historic District: Beautiful architecture with amazing history, burgeoning South Division arts district, close proximity to Monroe Center and the arena, hordes of professional service firms in converted lofts, law school, WMU, ITP Station, parking lots being converted to mixed-use, bars, bars, bars, art galleries, shops, cafe's, Heartside Park, brick streets, a little "grit" - you love it!

Added - Near West Side/Bridge Street area: Some great old buildings, bars, pizza joints, close to GVSU downtown, a little grit, converted Union Square, American Seating Park, Israel's new facilities, professional offices, numerous neighborhood centers like Leonard, Bridge, West Fulton and Alpine, and much more! Bring it on!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be the most difficult poll question I have ever seen on UP...this'll take some serious thought...

EDIT: Had to go w/ Heartside...it's the place to be at night (Ionia), and where most of the redevelopment interest is heading as well...

Heartside Historic District: Beautiful architecture with amazing history.... a little "grit" - you love it!

I love the "grit" comment Dad. Indeed, there's a little grit in the Heartside, that's why I love it! It's also where I've spent the most time - even before the re-development boom started, I loved to walk the alleys and photograph the old buildings, went to many an illegal party in an abandoned warehouse on Ionia (which is now gone), and used to have an office on Grandville.

I also love what's happened in the area in the last few years...how the vision of a few people (Reb Roberts for one, who opened Sanctuary Folk Art on Division about 8 years ago, and Herm @ Vertigo for another) spurred others to take a look at the area and see its potential. + the proximity to downtown makes it the most pedestrian friendly.

P.S. Just noting my 100th post on UP!

Munroe North seems to have a head start in this game. However with most of the DT action being located closer to Heartside, that district will soon pull ahead of the pack as the hippest urban core neighborhood in GR. As for the near Westside, though its showing signs of life, the Grand River and US-131 act like berriers cutting it off from DT So the Near Westside will have to work a little harder to keep up with the rest of the core.

I love what's going on in all three districts and applaud their diverse appeal.

Division Ave in Heartside continually reminds me of Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago. The Guerilla Artist community comes in, makes the area cool, which spurs market rate development.

Monroe North embodies a higher art/condo-warehouse culture. I see it as a little Soho.

West Side is what I consider the melting pot of cultures, neighborhoods, restaurants, incomes, and entertainment venues. A perfect environment for an ever-growing university community is the West Side.

I agree, all three are great and unique. We need all of them to be vibrant.

It sure would be nice if we had the old Grand Rapids streetcars back that would do one big loop through each of the three neigborhoods. One could go from the Zoo to The Cambridge House to Bar Divani without getting in a car. Something that would run late on weekends...say 1am or 2am.

Of course it would swing through downtown to pick up the out of town visitors...

It would be great if these three areas could be integrated by means of sensible public transportation...I am referring something in addition to the RAPID. Oh, and something classy...not that company that has a faux-streetcar on wheels.

A real streetcar!

My vote goes to Heartside, because it is showing more movement in terms of redevelopment. With Tall House, the movie theater, another project right across the street from the movie theater, Metro Park, the new apartments on Commerce, All the development along Division, and the renovation of the old post office, this area is really going along into something great.

N. Monroe: I really don

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

West Side all the way. Many redevelopment opportunities; proximate to downtown without being downtown. Great bars, GVSU, Union Square, West Towne Gardens, American Seating Park. I believe the future of Grand Rapids living and entertainment is the West Side. Could be another Lincoln Park! (Chicago)

Also am a big fan of the Heartside district, reminds me of Tribecca (New York) or Bucktown (Chicago).

Also huge potential.

Monroe North doesn't excite me very much. Although proximate to downtown it doesn't seem very diverse. Also, there are no destinations in this region of Grand Rapids.

Archived