Crime in Alabama cities?

flyaway

Hello,

I just discovered this forum and love all the info posted!

As part of a road trip, I'll be travelling through Huntsville, Birmingham and Montgomery. I was wondering what are the areas to avoid in each city...where are the crime-ridden areas in Huntsville, Birmingham and Montgomery?

Safety is our main concern, don't wanna get stuck in a bad part of town. It'll be our first time in Alabama so please name streets, quadrant, etc. so that I can look them up on a map.

I did a search on the internet but did not find much info. I hope some of you can help me out.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers! Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I live in Huntsville I will give my opinion about this area and some thoughts about the other two areas.

I would say that you can drive around any area of Huntsville without to much worry. Huntsville is a nice area and most of the areas you will go to have been recently developed in the past couple of decades so there is not much of a settlement of crime ridden areas. Just don't pull into any suspicious looking apartment complexes or off onto any suspicious looking side streets and you will be alright. If you want to walk around anywhere you could try downtown, Monte Sano (a mountain), or Ditto Landing along the Tennesee River in south Huntsville. The Art Museum, Botanical Gardens, and the Space and Rocket Center are places worthy of a visit. For the essentials there are numerous shopping centers on two major thoroughfares through the area, University Drive and the Parkway. Oh yeah, and don't cut anybody off on the road if you can help it, there are people out there who have road rage.

As far as B-ham, I would have to say if you like lots of traffic you will like driving in this city. The areas that have more of a bad rep are the areas west of Birmingham's center city. They tend to be more rundown and are areas where crime is more common. Someone else will have to tell you about the places to go.

Montgomery, our capital city, in my opinion is probably the least attractive of all to me. I don't knock it though, because that is where our government is run and if that place is not taken care of, then the state is in bad shape. If it looks like a place you don't want to go to, then don't. There are some nice areas though, I just haven't been in the city enough to tell you much about it.

If you can make it to Mobile I would recommend you do that. Mobile is the city in the state that I haven't been to that often either, even though I used to live in the Black Belt in lower Alabama. The city itself has more of a tropical feel, which most people like. It is a spread out area, and there are numerous things to do from what I hear.

All in all I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the metropolitan areas of Alabama.

Hello,

I just discovered this forum and love all the info posted!

As part of a road trip, I'll be travelling through Huntsville, Birmingham and Montgomery. I was wondering what are the areas to avoid in each city...where are the crime-ridden areas in Huntsville, Birmingham and Montgomery?

Safety is our main concern, don't wanna get stuck in a bad part of town. It'll be our first time in Alabama so please name streets, quadrant, etc. so that I can look them up on a map.

I did a search on the internet but did not find much info. I hope some of you can help me out.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers! Thanks!

Like Shawn said, there really isn't anywhere in Huntsville that you need to particularly stay away from. But if somewhere looks bad, it is, so dont' go there, otherwise, everything's nice and safe. Safer than most cities.

Birmingham, well, as long as you stay in the area that is surrounded by Interstate-65, Interstate-20/59, Red Mountain Expressway, and University of Alabama at Birmingham, you should be fine. The 8th Largest Banking Center in the country isn't going to be too dangerous in it's core, but there are a few bad spots. Like any city, just use your best judgement, if a place looks bad and unsafe don't go there, your best judgement will probably lead you to the right decision. Just don't go west of I-65, at all, unless you're driving on I-20/59 going west or I-459.

Montgomery, the nicest parts of town (in my opinion) are south of I-85. The downtown area is a little bit drab looking. It's usually ok to walk around in since there's extra security because of all of the foot traffic, and all of the government. As long as you stay around the Capitol and the really historic looking government buildings, and RSA Buildings you'll be fine. Most things around the Boulevard are ok. Once again, just use your best judgement and you should be fine.

Just use your best judgement. In Alabama if somewhere is unsafe, it'll be pretty evident. You'll be able to tell if it's somewhere where you don't need to spend time at. Also, if you don't believe in your best judgement, especially in Birmingham, just go into any bank building, museum, or nice looking coffee shop in the city center and, I can promise you, the people there will do ANYTHING they can to help you out. Southern hospitality truely does exist in Alabama and it's not hard to find. They will seriously be happy to help you out, they want you there.

Since I live in Huntsville I will give my opinion about this area and some thoughts about the other two areas.

I would say that you can drive around any area of Huntsville without to much worry. Huntsville is a nice area and most of the areas you will go to have been recently developed in the past couple of decades so there is not much of a settlement of crime ridden areas. Just don't pull into any suspicious looking apartment complexes or off onto any suspicious looking side streets and you will be alright. If you want to walk around anywhere you could try downtown, Monte Sano (a mountain), or Ditto Landing along the Tennesee River in south Huntsville. The Art Museum, Botanical Gardens, and the Space and Rocket Center are places worthy of a visit. For the essentials there are numerous shopping centers on two major thoroughfares through the area, University Drive and the Parkway. Oh yeah, and don't cut anybody off on the road if you can help it, there are people out there who have road rage.

As far as B-ham, I would have to say if you like lots of traffic you will like driving in this city. The areas that have more of a bad rep are the areas west of Birmingham's center city. They tend to be more rundown and are areas where crime is more common. Someone else will have to tell you about the places to go.

Montgomery, our capital city, in my opinion is probably the least attractive of all to me. I don't knock it though, because that is where our government is run and if that place is not taken care of, then the state is in bad shape. If it looks like a place you don't want to go to, then don't. There are some nice areas though, I just haven't been in the city enough to tell you much about it.

If you can make it to Mobile I would recommend you do that. Mobile is the city in the state that I haven't been to that often either, even though I used to live in the Black Belt in lower Alabama. The city itself has more of a tropical feel, which most people like. It is a spread out area, and there are numerous things to do from what I hear.

All in all I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the metropolitan areas of Alabama.

Hello Shawn35816,

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions and suggestions. I'll definitely keep them in mind. And I'll try to make it to Mobile if time permits. I can't wait to explore Alabama! Thanks again,

Linda

Like Shawn said, there really isn't anywhere in Huntsville that you need to particularly stay away from. But if somewhere looks bad, it is, so dont' go there, otherwise, everything's nice and safe. Safer than most cities.

Birmingham, well, as long as you stay in the area that is surrounded by Interstate-65, Interstate-20/59, Red Mountain Expressway, and University of Alabama at Birmingham, you should be fine. The 8th Largest Banking Center in the country isn't going to be too dangerous in it's core, but there are a few bad spots. Like any city, just use your best judgement, if a place looks bad and unsafe don't go there, your best judgement will probably lead you to the right decision. Just don't go west of I-65, at all, unless you're driving on I-20/59 going west or I-459.

Montgomery, the nicest parts of town (in my opinion) are south of I-85. The downtown area is a little bit drab looking. It's usually ok to walk around in since there's extra security because of all of the foot traffic, and all of the government. As long as you stay around the Capitol and the really historic looking government buildings, and RSA Buildings you'll be fine. Most things around the Boulevard are ok. Once again, just use your best judgement and you should be fine.

Just use your best judgement. In Alabama if somewhere is unsafe, it'll be pretty evident. You'll be able to tell if it's somewhere where you don't need to spend time at. Also, if you don't believe in your best judgement, especially in Birmingham, just go into any bank building, museum, or nice looking coffee shop in the city center and, I can promise you, the people there will do ANYTHING they can to help you out. Southern hospitality truely does exist in Alabama and it's not hard to find. They will seriously be happy to help you out, they want you there.

Hello AlabamaGuy2007,

Thank you for your advice on Birmingham and Montgomery. I'll definitely use my best judgement when I get there but your tips will have given me a head start!

Linda

Archived