Jewelry District's Conservation Future...

Garris

There is the (nicer) Shell Station right across the Point Street Bridge off of Wickenden. Here's another SimCity-eque question... If you could only keep one, which gas station would you maintain and which would go?

I'd keep the Shell because as you said, it's nicer, and I think it can and does blend better into the landscape there. Especially after 195 comes down, if that area is built right, it's impact should be minimal.

The Hess on Point Street dominates the whole end of the block (like an end cap at a grocery store). I know I'm being Sim City here, but I'd prefer it on Point Street closer to 95, or down near the Eddy/Allens split, almost (or actually) under the relocated 195.

If a municipal garage were ever built in the JD, a gas station can and should be incorporated into it, consolodate the auto-centric buildings to one spot.

I guess I could be happy if the Hess was redesigned a bit to be more like the Shell, with a convenience store away from the pumps, and better landscaping at the street edge. That little gas station booth serves as the only convenience store for the JD, if you want a bag of chips or a candy bar or a soda, you have to walk up there (amongst the cars darting in and out of the pumps).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shell is usually more expensive than Hess though.

The other thing about that Shell is the fact that it is a mob scene with a lot of cars pulling in haphazardly while people run in to get cigarettes and the like.

I agree though that it kinda fits in better, especially at night. The lighting at Hess is harsh.

I think I would keep Hess with improvements. New Hess stations are built rather nicely with the convenience store integrated but still seperate from the gas pumpers.

Also, having a Shell across the bridge is not enough. I am not trying to be Rhode Island far here, but more nieghborhood centric. Shell and hess are different neighborhoods and serve people going in different directions.

I am not in love with Hess at that location necessarily. But I would want a gas station to serve residents of the JD.

The other thing about that Shell is the fact that it is a mob scene with a lot of cars pulling in haphazardly while people run in to get cigarettes and the like.

I used to work across the street from the Hess Station with a window overlooking it. You'd be surprised how many collissions there were inside the station. We used to rate the crashes. :lol:

I used to work across the street from the Hess Station with a window overlooking it. You'd be surprised how many collissions there were inside the station. We used to rate the crashes. :lol:

I dont doubt it. I think people get into this mindset when going into a gas station where they stay so focused on the task at hand (MUST GET GAS!) that they forget about all else.

• 4 weeks later...

I took some photos in the JD when I was walking down to the bridge last weekend:

2006-0827-jewel001.jpg

Death by Dryvit.

2006-0827-jewel002.jpg

Precedence for height

2006-0827-jewel003.jpg

Looking beyond the surface parking, there's the embryo of a nice neighborhood.

2006-0827-jewel004.jpg

I was just struck by the layering here.

2006-0827-jewel005.jpg

This doesn't interact with the street at all, but somehow its still better than the many buildings that are choked with Dryvit that do relate to the street.

2006-0827-jewel006.jpg

Olga's, an oasis. And though I argued for height above, I do enjoy this little one-story zone and would like to keep it and expand it ever so slightly.

2006-0827-jewel007.jpg

The whole end of the park consumed by a gas station. I prefer to see it move elsewhere, but if it got a slick Art Deco redo, and built a convenience store to the street (which the neighborhood needs), and planted a few shrubs or something, it could be ok.

2006-0827-jewel008.jpg

Would someone please knock the ugly pyramid roof thing off the top of this building please?

2006-0827-jewel009.jpg

I love this building, I usually don't like yellow brick, but it's a nice departure and a nice building. Someone needs to rehab this place for some office, or the HQ of a small firm.

When is stanley's finally opening up in the JD? I thought it was supposed to go either in the place (Richard's) next to Olga's or in the other half of Jake's? Mmmm...stanley's.

And speaking of Dryvit, did you know it is a local company: from West Warwick! And you can buy Dryvit bibs and other fashion accessories here: http://www.dryvitcompanystore.com/ Mmm...dryvit.

2006-0827-jewel005.jpg

This doesn't interact with the street at all, but somehow its still better than the many buildings that are choked with Dryvit that do relate to the street.

Great buildings! The JD at its best. Where is this? I don't recognize them...

2006-0827-jewel008.jpg

Would someone please knock the ugly pyramid roof thing off the top of this building please?

I'm going to show the pyramid some love. I've come to like it. Driving up and down Eddy all the time, it really works at showing that it's the focal pt of Davol Square, being visible from many points. It's a nice sort of geographic landmark.'

2006-0827-jewel009.jpg

I love this building, I usually don't like yellow brick, but it's a nice departure and a nice building. Someone needs to rehab this place for some office, or the HQ of a small firm.

I love this building too. Just barely visible off to the left are the beginnings of the recessed stone arches that encompass the windows on the part of the building that extends down Eddy. This is the kind of structure that, if part of a rejouvenated JD and owned by someone who would love and care for it, could be one of the coolest buildings in town. It has a fantastic relationship with the streetscape and sidewalk. I really love it, but it's very neglected right now...

- Garris

Great buildings! The JD at its best. Where is this? I don't recognize them...

Directly across Point Street from Olga's, diagonal from the Hess Station.

I'm going to show the pyramid some love. I've come to like it. Driving up and down Eddy all the time, it really works at showing that it's the focal pt of Davol Square, being visible from many points. It's a nice sort of geographic landmark.'

OK, but there needs to be something in the arch shape below the pyramid, a clock, a mural, a neon sign that says Davol Square... It just looks so purposeless and blank and blah. I used to spend a lot of time standing on the street there smoking butts, and it never grew on me.

I also like the yellow brick Victory Plating building. It's got some art deco detailing. Imagine how much better it would look with the multipane industrial windows revealed as opposed to boarded up.

It would make a nice corporate HQ for Narragansett Beer, which recently leased space elsewhere in the JD. Imagine how awesome the bldg would look with a neon Narragansett sign on the roof.

I also like the yellow brick Victory Plating building. It's got some art deco detailing. Imagine how much better it would look with the multipane industrial windows revealed as opposed to boarded up.

It would make a nice corporate HQ for Narragansett Beer, which recently leased space elsewhere in the JD. Imagine how awesome the bldg would look with a neon Narragansett sign on the roof.

is it big enough for them to move their brewery back to RI?

Good question. I don't know but that property does contain a lot of land in the back.

that's what i'd really prefer to see... their entire operation in RI, not just the business side. if they could turn into a full fledged micro-brewery in the region, i think it'd be great. i doubt it'd compete wtih places like harpoon, but something smaller, sort of on the idea of off shore ale. i think it'd also become a great attraction in providence.

that's what i'd really prefer to see... their entire operation in RI, not just the business side. if they could turn into a full fledged micro-brewery in the region, i think it'd be great. i doubt it'd compete wtih places like harpoon, but something smaller, sort of on the idea of off shore ale. i think it'd also become a great attraction in providence.

If only Narragansett could rebuild its 50% of New England market share they could put up a big old macro-brewery like they used to have in Cranston.

• 1 year later...

If anyone goes (and agrees with this idea), I think there should be a plan to allow the Harbor Junction tracks to somehow be extended up into the JD for future transit (light rail, street cars, whatever) enhancements (the link from the JD to Providence station and/or KP is another issue). Otherwise, allow and plan for street car lines to the new 95/195 interchange where someday, there could be a transit hub to the water taxi and the harbor line.

Archived