what is it about Ft. Lauderdale

Wild Style

I am originally from New York City like 80% of South Florida is. I have been here far longer than I originally planned and in the course of this time I have seen down town Fort Lauderdale run into the ground. To name a few gripes I want to point out a lack of major corporation head quarters, the lack of any sensible form of viable mass transit infrastructure and the lack of a diverse economy. I remember one year a mayoral candidate ran on the idea that instead of inviting businesses here they would make Fort Lauderdale a tropical paradise which to me is the most moronic thing anyone could ever say. With the Bahamas, Jamaica and a host of other islands not even a hour away why in the sam heck would someone want to choose Fort Lauderdale over those locals?

It

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respect your opinion, but Wild Style I think you will have to speak for yourself on this topic.

Personally, I love living in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Yes, there could more - in the next five years I believe there will be. Assuming the RE market rebounds in the next few years.

Being able to walk to Las Olas and the Riverwalk/Himmarshee areas is terrific. Plus we're only two miles from the beach. I would like to see more "usable" retail within walking distance. (No more art galleries, please) but I find Downtown is walkable and very enjoyable. I would MUCH rather live here than on a underdeveloped carribean island where things don't run properly. I can't imagine anywhere else in the state that has this combination of walkability, sunny weather and friendly people than in Downtown FTL. And no i'm not a realtor :D

I respect your opinion, but Wild Style I think you will have to speak for yourself on this topic.

Personally, I love living in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Yes, there could more - in the next five years I believe there will be. Assuming the RE market rebounds in the next few years.

Being able to walk to Las Olas and the Riverwalk/Himmarshee areas is terrific. Plus we're only two miles from the beach. I would like to see more "usable" retail within walking distance. (No more art galleries, please) but I find Downtown is walkable and very enjoyable. I would MUCH rather live here than on a underdeveloped carribean island where things don't run properly. I can't imagine anywhere else in the state that has this combination of walkability, sunny weather and friendly people than in Downtown FTL. And no i'm not a realtor :D

I think you misunderstood me,

While living downtown and building 1 million condos is cute, Fort Lauderdale has a very poor economic infrustructue. Everything is service or banking and little else. Miami herald and Sun-sentinel both stated that Fort Lauderdale is losing a lot of its residents to Atlanta and Nashville.

I respect the fact you live downtown and its awesome you can do so but my argument was more to the tune that this place has done little to build lasting economic viability

I bought up the Islands not to say one would live there over fort lauderdale, but to counter the silly argument that was made by one of the mayoral candidates stating they wanted to compete with the islands as far as being a holiday get away sort of place.

Fort Lauderdale has no identity and I think thats what has hurt this place.

I think you misunderstood me,

While living downtown and building 1 million condos is cute, Fort Lauderdale has a very poor economic infrustructue. Everything is service or banking and little else. Miami herald and Sun-sentinel both stated that Fort Lauderdale is losing a lot of its residents to Atlanta and Nashville.

I respect the fact you live downtown and its awesome you can do so but my argument was more to the tune that this place has done little to build lasting economic viability

I bought up the Islands not to say one would live there over fort lauderdale, but to counter the silly argument that was made by one of the mayoral candidates stating they wanted to compete with the islands as far as being a holiday get away sort of place.

Fort Lauderdale has no identity and I think thats what has hurt this place.

I agree that Fort Lauderdale suffers from a small minded mentality. It is as if the residents are scared to death of the idea that Fort Lauderdale could be a real city. They go crazy over each and every new project, "it's too tall," "too much traffic," ECT ECT. The city will never go anywhere as long as the elected officials have to out do eachother every election on how antigrowth they are. It is as if they are actually in a battle to see who can be the most against progress. And the sad part is that is just what the residents want to hear.

Because of the lack of good mass transit and affordable housing, major companies don't want to locate in Fort Lauderdale. And it seems that the city is very happy with things the way they are. Fort Lauderdale is becoming more of an Aventura (condo canyon with no business structure) and less of a Miami.

I agree that Fort Lauderdale suffers from a small minded mentality. It is as if the residents are scared to death of the idea that Fort Lauderdale could be a real city. They go crazy over each and every new project, "it's too tall," "too much traffic," ECT ECT. The city will never go anywhere as long as the elected officials have to out do eachother every election on how antigrowth they are. It is as if they are actually in a battle to see who can be the most against progress. And the sad part is that is just what the residents want to hear.

Because of the lack of good mass transit and affordable housing, major companies don't want to locate in Fort Lauderdale. And it seems that the city is very happy with things the way they are. Fort Lauderdale is becoming more of an Aventura (condo canyon with no business structure) and less of a Miami.

Yes this is exactly what I am saying!! See my thing is, as soon as Fort Lauderdale started seeing the rush of New Yorkers and the rest of the immigrants from other states coming here they should have built a mass transit system (i.e. a light rail system) that should have been at the top of the agenda.

We do have buses but I mean come on, could you imagine waiting for a bus to come every 30 minutes down here, especially in the hotter months. Imagine sitting out there in this sauna waiting for a bus? You will show up to work soaked.

P.S.

Miami is a bit better but not by much. I remember when Guliani came down here and met with the Mayor of miami and he said to the Miami herald there is no reason such a well located down town area should look like down town miami does. He said if it were him he would have had major internationals litering downtown. Oh well, my tour of duty is almost over.

Fort Lauderdale can be a very pleasant place to live- if you live in the right place. I certainly agree that the city has misplaced its priorities with regards to sustainable growth and transportation. There is much potential there, but the city needs to see beyond the forest of high-rise condos for its true future. I have no problem seeing the density of downtown grow even greater, but it will need to be balanced with something more if true urbanism is to be attained. As you say, I'm not sure that the city government in Fort Lauderdale is really accustomed to thinking of itself in urban terms.

• 2 months later...

P.S.

Miami is a bit better but not by much. I remember when Guliani came down here and met with the Mayor of miami and he said to the Miami herald there is no reason such a well located down town area should look like down town miami does. He said if it were him he would have had major internationals litering downtown. Oh well, my tour of duty is almost over.

If it were me, downtown Miami would look like Hong Kong island.

Archived