Kerry Forest Winn Dixie Closing

JBarber

Heard today that the Winn Dixie on Kerry Forest is falling victim to the new Super Walmart. I would guess they made it about as long as Bruno's in the same location.

Everything in the store is 25% off. Kind of an interesting sale for a grocery store - i guess WD is looking to get any cash they can as fast as they can. Anything left in the store on next Wednesday will be 50% off.

Too late for the beer.

Not many WD's left around here. Help complete the list.

South Monroe

North Monroe (@ Fred George)

Tharpe & High

Magnolia

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured that store was doomed b/c of the "evil empire" moving in across T-ville Rd. I'm really surprised they lasted this long. You know, I've never even been in that store, heck I think I've only been to that shopping center once.

Anyway you are correct JB Leon County is down now to just 4 WD stores. There are 3 others in the metro one in each county: Wakulla, Jefferson and Gadsden for a total of 7 in Tally metro.

Does anyone here do the bulk of their food shopping at WD? I haven't in years and years b/c it's Publix all the way for me baby.

I don't think it was just Wal-Mart that did that store in........Winn Dixie just doesn't do well in affluent areas like that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that abandonded store on Market Street once a WD? I've seen this happen in South Florida as well.......WD's clientele is different than that of Publix, and shoppers in Killearn are more suited toward Publix.

Of course Wally World had a part, but just isn't the sole reason WD went under. WD stores have a more limited selection of goods and their stores are not as well kept as Publix. I've seen many, many abandoned WD stores, but I've never seen an abandoned Publix!

^So it looks like most of us on here prefer to shop at Publix and many are offended by W-D. Just curious does anyone shop at our 3 Albertson's and what's your feeling on those stores?

I will stop at Albertson's if Publix is closed or if I need one maybe two things and it's easier to get into Albertson's (i.e. it's on the side of the road I am driving down.) I will go to Albertson's b4 I go to W-D, but still I don't go in there but maybe 3 times a year.

I only go to WD for the King Crab Leg Special (4.99 lb) and they have a Liquor store, other than that I go to Publix. Every time I give Albertsons a try my grocery bill is always higher by like 15 -20 $$$$ :w00t:

On a slightly different note.. Is it just me or did the planning department do a lousy job on figuring the size of the Governors Crossing Publix parking lot??? I mean every time I go to Panera bread there is not any parking! Plus what are they going to do when the Chinese Restaurant and Nail and Hair salon open? I mean didn't they actually plan on getting customers at theses stores???? I have spoken to a few friends who stopped going there simply because of parking issues.

The parking is indeed very bad at the Governor's crossing publix.

Back to Winn-Dixie... maybe they would be better served if they changed the name of the store. Maybe the Dixie thing isn't working for many and with the new image they need a new name. When I think of Dixie, I don't think of old south, I think of something that's run down and dirty... I guess because of Winn - Dixie and the old Dixie gas stations! We used to have one on the Southside when I was a young boy.

One thing I can say about Winn - Dixie, they have the best selection of store brand sodas than any other grocery store I know, Publix included. Where else can you get Peach, Strawberry, and Pineapple flavored soda for less than a dollar that actually tastes good!?

I only go to WD for the King Crab Leg Special (4.99 lb) and they have a Liquor store, other than that I go to Publix. Every time I give Albertsons a try my grocery bill is always higher by like 15 -20 $$$$ :w00t:

On a slightly different note.. Is it just me or did the planning department do a lousy job on figuring the size of the Governors Crossing Publix parking lot??? I mean every time I go to Panera bread there is not any parking! Plus what are they going to do when the Chinese Restaurant and Nail and Hair salon open? I mean didn't they actually plan on getting customers at theses stores???? I have spoken to a few friends who stopped going there simply because of parking issues.

That's pretty much my Publix now and I initially was troubled by the parking lot size, but now it doesn't seem too bad for me. I don't know if I am going at the "right" times or what, but I can get it and get out very easily.

I spread my time between three different cities Bonifay, Tallahassee and Panama City Beach. I am away from Tally atm but should be back in a few weeks.

Hey Big Bad Ole Bonifay! :D

Tell us, does Wild Kingdom, Mutal of Omaha still plan on building that big wildlife park there? What's this about a new music/theme park there too? Details details please.

The details are a bit sketchy as far as I know but I've been out of town for three weeks. Apparently the Wild Kingdom is going to be built here and the most interesting thing regarding that development is that the plan on eventually making a hotel that looks like a giant tree house. Home Depot bought 300 acres right off of I10 on hwy79 for 6 million, they could have gotten it for far less from that farmer, to build a warehouse. I don't much at all about the music park thing I'll see what I can find out. There are also some plans to buld an amphitheater for what I'm not sure.

^I did not know that HD planned a distribution center in Holmes County. When is it going to be built and how many will it employ?

I heard about the Wildlife Park and the Music Park (different owners) on the same report from WMBB 13 in PC a few months back.

That hotel sounds cool!

Archived