Bass Berry & Sims Tower "The Crown"

doormanpoet

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's a nice looking tower, Lexy.

I think this proposal from BBS is a perfect example of getting too carried away with height restrictions. Just set aside and zone enough open space around the neighborhood and let the sky be the limit with the buildings. You'll likely get buildings of all heights. This building looks like top has been sliced off. I like yours better, Lexy.

I think this proposal from BBS is a perfect example of getting too carried away with height restrictions. Just set aside and zone enough open space around the neighborhood and let the sky be the limit with the buildings. You'll likely get buildings of all heights. This building looks like top has been sliced off. I like yours better, Lexy.

This building already busts the height limit by 8 stories. So I really don't know how much of a factor it is. Although i guess you might have been making the point that it would have been proposed even higher if there was no height limit at all.

I agree Brain, I don't think we're in any danger of SoBro being overrun with tall buildings but we should let them happen when they come along. I love seeing contrasting heights in a skyline. It's much more interesting.

Well...I am somewhat underwhelmed. You can tell these are attorneys and not marketing people, they have no clue how to set expectations.

Do not get me wrong the building is 'fine' but does not seem to be anything special maybe a detail of the materials used would help.

Also I think the rest of the non-tower portion seems out of place. Specifically I can't tell how it activiates the rest of the block and what the heck is up with the 'roof-like" cap on the lower postion of the building. I am sure it is just hard to view so I will reserve my opinion until more details emerge. Grade based on this rendering C+.

OK after studying the hi-re images that Richard Laeson emailed me lastnight (past my bed time) I am going to shock my fellow "tallies" world. Are you ready?

Wait for it!

Wait for it!

This building either needs to be developed as a stand alone project sans the 'pedestal' or it needs to be reduced in height and increased in width. It looks out of place IMO, like forcing a square peg in a round hole. Now this may not be a reflection on the designers but a compromise betwen their vision and what they think will pass in Sobro. Either way this falls short. Also someone else with the hi-res rendering comment on the 2MB .jpg of the East side of the development. It looks like the back of the GEC or CM HOF but with glass. No activity seems to be adressed on this side (unless I am missing it)! Is it an alley or something?

Anyway this just looks like a '60's era municipal project but with better materials (limestone or granite and glass).

All right, so I feel I should say something good... BBS is to be commended for its intent to stay in DT Nashville.

Maybe this plan will be better executed in reality, but they have a lot of work to do in its presentation to the powers that be.

Now back to the critique...

This is a building that looks like it's been cut off across its top section.

ATL

You are correct instead of 'The Crown' the nickname should be the 'Stubby'! lol

I also will add something positive. I can not tell from these renderings but I am POSITIVE that the green roof should be on the lower roof which covers a larger surface area in addition to the amputated body of the building which they think mistake for a top.

I feel a similar disappointment to others. This building is nice but somewhat of a letdown. I can't help but think "I've seen this before" and "it looks too short." I do believe adding about 10 more floors will make this tower look better but it's still not as eye-popping as I expected.

The more I thought about it, it resemebles Jersey City's Goldman Sachs Tower across from NYC. That building, however, has the height to make the crown look more dramatic. I really think this tower would look much better if it was taller.

Goldman Sachs (Jersey City) - 781 ft.

438px-30hudson.jpg

The Crown

150ThirdAvenueSrendering26.jpg

I don't know... I kind of like it. I actually like it better than the encore... and better than Terrazo and Adelicia... so....

But it WILL depend on the materials used... it can either be really nice or REALLY bad, depending on what materials are used....

Archived