Bass Berry & Sims Tower "The Crown"

doormanpoet

:rofl::rofl:

Dave, you have outdone yourself with that one! My sides are splitting! :rofl:

Seriously though, I think to only problem I have with this project is with the parking garage. I tend to agree with Michael Hayes that wrapping some condos or apartments around the parage with street level retail would be a great improvement. One other possible improve would be to add so much residential that they would have to make this project taller....at least 200 Ft taller. I'd like to see it taller than the Batman Building's "ears." Then I would really be stoked!

The only problem I see with adding residential to this project, at least any in the tower portion, is that outdoor access [balconies] plus operable windows would likely need to be added, thus completely altering the tower's design and appearance. I think any residential would be limited to the lo/mid-rise component. Excellent idea, though.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I said it all day yesterday at the meet but I'd rather see the parking incorporated into the tower instead of wasting the entire lot with that ugly garage. Everyone is always begging for green space. Let them make the tower taller and have a nice little park behind it. That's if BBS want to. Oh well, just my skyscraper-lovin' opinion anyway.

Dave, I hope I didn't just blow someone's well laid plans. :ph34r::whistling:

If I am not mistaken, Christine Kreyling wrote an article in The Nashville Scene that mentions the the parking garage being rapped by, or containing, some retail. (Look closely at the rendering from 3rd Ave at the Symphony Center.)

I cannot believe that, with all the "mixed-use" conviction of current urban revitalization, the designers of this project would have the audacity to simply take up space with a single-use parking garage. They are not fools.

The Crown is a beautiful building--as rendered--and I will certainly add it to my list of hopes and dreams for Nashville.

Well, heck, let's give this thing a crown. I like this building. No, it's not earthshattering, but I like it. I like the fact that it will keep the firm downtown instead of moving out to the 'burbs. We'll see what shakes in the upcoming weeks. The ideas presented here for apts, condos, department store are great.

But, if you guys are just so disappointed about the lack of a crown, well, here:

WithCrown-1.jpg

change in punchline:

"Here ya go, have a Royal Crown."

sorry :)

Dave,

Now I understand what some people are demanding when they protest that a building is not "human-scaled" enough for them. You've shown us...it's about proportionality. It's about being able to relate to a building in the same way I might relate to someone I see anywhere else in my world. It's about the fashionable, jaunty (and if I may say so, the French) tilt I keep on my own chappeau, which I like seeing in the lids of others.

Human scale. I'm all in. :ph34r:

Dave,

Now I understand what some people are demanding when they protest that a building is not "human-scaled" enough for them. You've shown us...it's about proportionality. It's about being able to relate to a building in the same way I might relate to someone I see anywhere else in my world. It's about the fashionable, jaunty (and if I may say so, the French) tilt I keep on my own chappeau, which I like seeing in the lids of others.

Human scale. I'm all in. :ph34r:

Snob! No wait...Elitist! No that's not it, um what exactly do I mean? Dirty humanist! Yes that's it, dirty humanist. :w00t:

Snob! No wait...Elitist! No that's not it, um what exactly do I mean? Dirty humanist! Yes that's it, dirty humanist. :w00t:

Since you saw fit to insult me, I have no choice but to return the discourtesy. You're a filthy building-ist.

The fact is, just because you don't understand everything I write doesn't mean you have to bring violence against me like that with those kinds of personal attacks. It's not very walkable of you.

And for the record, it's not dirty humanist--it's dirty anti-dis-acrophobic humanist. :ph34r:

:blink:

Since you saw fit to insult me, I have no choice but to return the discourtesy. You're a filthy building-ist.

The fact is, just because you don't understand everything I write doesn't mean you have to bring violence against me like that with those kinds of personal attacks. It's not very walkable of you.

And for the record, it's not dirty humanist--it's dirty anti-dis-acrophobic humanist. :ph34r:

:blink:

:rofl:

Hey, are we going to start writing soon? We're going to start burning our own material.

This has got to be just a threat, right? BBS to Cool Springs would be horrendous...

(Third item down)

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=51384

LOL !!!

I would laugh forever if BBS went to CS because their building got chopped in half. I think it would make a lot of developers more reluctant to try to build in downtown. I eagerly await the results of this little process!!

^

I'd much rather see asthetically pleasing, ground-level-retail-offering slender towers occasionally dotting SoBro rather than 200-foot, stubby, entire-block block-buildings. If you have blocks full of 200-foot buildings [assuming developers need every bit of the height for ROI] does that really have a useful affect on sunlight hitting the streets? I mean in reality. Or is this more about skyline asthetics from the interstate? NewTowner? I imagine even some pro-midrise peeps see the need for a variety of development options and flexibility in SoBro. Granted, careful consideration needs to be given to the entire area to avoid less-than-ideal development patterns. I'm reminded of Austin, a city I really enjoy visiting. What it lacks in a cohesive skyline, it makes up for with continuous blocks of retail and nightlife. That's what really matters to me anyway in a city. IMO, many of the downtown streets there are much more active than in Nashville. Anyway, I liked the idea of building ALL SoBro talls on Gateway Blvd, but it seems that was only a suggestion that popped up along the way.

I can't wait to hear what happens in the meeting on September 14th. I think Bass, Berry, Sims have the planning commission over the preverbial "barrel" with this one. I think they're going the blow their ridiculous 220 foot maximum height restriction for SoBro completely out the window. I, for one, will cheer loudly when it happens. :yahoo:

I would imagine... surely... if they went somewhere besides SoBro, it would be midtown. Cool Springs seems a stretch for this one... but who knows?

If they do drive BBS away to CS... I would hope someone in metro gets canned over it lol... that would be a shame.

I'd much rather see asthetically pleasing, ground-level-retail-offering slender towers occasionally dotting SoBro rather than 200-foot, stubby, entire-block block-buildings.

For me it's a matter of principle rather than aesthetics. I'd rather see a 60-story mixed-use chicken farm/pig farm, with street-level whore house that is pleasing to the owner, instead of any other building that is pleasing to the "community". If Metro govt. wants to control what kind of building goes on that land, why don't they buy the lot and build a building that suits their tastes?

Well, I think there's something to be said in support of zoning (ie, in my house, I don't think a developer should be able to buy the house next to me, tear it down, and open a 24-hour dance club), but yes, If metro has such a problem with the height of this building, there should be a better reason than it's in SoBro. If you allow a building to be 220 ft and block views, then who cares? If the hight limit right now was 3-4stories, I might could see the issue. 'If you build it, they (BBS) will come.'

I don't think the renderings are doing this bldg justice, just a hunch

This is a HUGE block and I would like to see it utilized much more fully that the current design. A 15 story bldg with setbacks that encompasses the entire lot would look very impressive and could make everyone happy (height limits, larger green roof, total space) and the available contiguous floor space would be mind boogling for DT. I don't understand the current design...

/\/\/\ With all due respect LA, I don't think it would make BBS happy. They want a tower and to be a part of the skyline. That is why they had it designed that way. I'm not in love with everything the rendering shows as far as the garage is concerned but it's not my building either. I agree that this particular rendering is less than flattering in some respects but it has been said there are more descriptive ones that exist. I can't wait to see them.

To me, spreading a building out all over SoBro is a big waste of space. I say let BBS build what they want and let's get on with it. :D

Archived