Bass Berry & Sims Tower "The Crown"

doormanpoet

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/\/\/\ With all due respect LA, I don't think it would make BBS happy. They want a tower and to be a part of the skyline. That is why they had it designed that way. I'm not in love with everything the rendering shows as far as the garage is concerned but it's not my building either. I agree that this particular rendering is less than flattering in some respects but it has been said there are more descriptive ones that exist. I can't wait to see them.

To me, spreading a building out all over SoBro is a big waste of space. I say let BBS build what they want and let's get on with it. :D

Yes and no, but more yes I agree that BBS wants to add to the skyline. But curious is the cry from companies that want large areas of floor space to avoid using stairs/elevators all day. I think the BellSouth bldg has a floorplate around 26k sq ft while most companies are demanding 30k+ nowadays. The BBS tower could easily construct a bldg with the largest floorplate in DT and that would be a major draw for luring an additional tenant(s)

I'm not even getting into the tall vs short thing (I normally vote tall, btw), but IMO this is a common sense situation where they could actually build twin towers on that big lot and it just seems like a waste of the space. But hey, nobody has called me for an opinion, not my $$$.

Personally, I'd rather see the 400 footer go up. As I stated in my original post, I doubt these renderings do the bldg justice and I think I like the design better than most. We'll just have to wait and see! Anybody got any patience here????

Yes and no, but more yes I agree that BBS wants to add to the skyline. But curious is the cry from companies that want large areas of floor space to avoid using stairs/elevators all day. I think the BellSouth bldg has a floorplate around 26k sq ft while most companies are demanding 30k+ nowadays. The BBS tower could easily construct a bldg with the largest floorplate in DT and that would be a major draw for luring an additional tenant(s)

I'm not even getting into the tall vs short thing (I normally vote tall, btw), but IMO this is a common sense situation where they could actually build twin towers on that big lot and it just seems like a waste of the space. But hey, nobody has called me for an opinion, not my $$$.

Personally, I'd rather see the 400 footer go up. As I stated in my original post, I doubt these renderings do the bldg justice and I think I like the design better than most. We'll just have to wait and see! Anybody got any patience here????

We are helping the BBS/Barry companies do PR/communications for this project (as we are doing for the Westin folks). If you like, I'll post up information as it becomes available. There is a basic fact sheet now. It doesn't answer all your questions, but there is a level of detail that hasn't been reported in the media.

Just let me know your druthers.

That's a very good point and I can appreciate that. Some aspects of the design do appear to waste a good bit of space and it for sure isn't my money either. :cry:

As for patience...I was blessed with very little. :whistling:

Thanks for the response LA.

We are helping the BBS/Barry companies do PR/communications for this project (as we are doing for the Westin folks). If you like, I'll post up information as it becomes available. There is a basic fact sheet now. It doesn't answer all your questions, but there is a level of detail that hasn't been reported in the media.

Just let me know your druthers.

We would love any info you can give us, prguy. Post away!

I believe I've only seen this mentioned in the Tennessean, but "The Crown" was co-designed by the Connecticut firm Pickard Chilton Architects. They are responsible for several notable towers, including Atlanta's brand new One Symphony Center. I'm curious to know exactly how much Everton contributed to the design, because The Crown renderings depict a tower with obvious queues from Pickard Chilton's other work in regards to cladding, composition and general appearance. Take a look at their other recent towers, under 'corporate'. Any thoughts? After seeing One Symphony Center in Atlanta, I'm receptive to having a tower designed by this firm in Nashville if it is further refined and improved.

http://www.pickardchilton.com/proj_symphony_01.html

I'm curious to know exactly how much Everton contributed to the design, because The Crown renderings depict a tower with obvious queues from Pickard Chilton's other work ... After seeing One Symphony Center in Atlanta, I'm receptive to having a tower designed by this firm in Nashville if it is further refined and improved.

I've been thinking all along it seems premature to make any kind of strong judgement about this -- everything just seems so preliminary. Based on that picard chilton site, there are some (to me) great looking buildings. We were in Atlanta this spring for the 1st time in a long time and thought Symphony Center looked great. If this tower gets refined into something striking like that, I'm going to be happier with it than I am with the current and (hopefully) preliminary "stick of deodorant" design

Here are some basics. I will follow up as more details become available. I'm happy to try to get answers to your questions. Just remember there is still a lot of back and forth between Metro and the developer, so things remain fairly fluid. In fact, some of the facts below can change as we move forward. But, you guys know all that...

FACT SHEET -- 150 Third Avenue S.

DEVELOPER Barry Real Estate Companies, Inc.

ARCHITECT Pickard Chilton and Everton Oglesby Architects

LOCATION The block of land encompassed by the Shelby Pedestrian Bridge to the North, 2nd Avenue S. to the East, Demonbreun Street to the South, and 3rd Avenue S. to the West

SITE 1.6 Acres

BUILDING SIZE 28 stories, 451,000 rentable square feet (rsf). 22 levels of office space on top of a parking podium

FLOOR PLATE Approximately 19,100 rsf per floor

DELIVERY DATE 4th Quarter, 2009

PARKING Secured Covered Deck Parking at a ratio of 2.4 spaces per 1,000 rsf

CEILINGS 9

I believe I've only seen this mentioned in the Tennessean, but "The Crown" was co-designed by the Connecticut firm Pickard Chilton Architects. They are responsible for several notable towers, including Atlanta's brand new One Symphony Center. I'm curious to know exactly how much Everton contributed to the design, because The Crown renderings depict a tower with obvious queues from Pickard Chilton's other work in regards to cladding, composition and general appearance. Take a look at their other recent towers, under 'corporate'. Any thoughts? After seeing One Symphony Center in Atlanta, I'm receptive to having a tower designed by this firm in Nashville if it is further refined and improved.

This one in Denver (1100 15th) seems to resemble the Nashville renderings fairly closely.

I am hoping for some stone cladding which the developers claim will be prominent on the facade of the building.

If the crown looks like the building in Denver, I'll be happy with it.

It does resemble the Crown a good bit. That project is much closer to the height of Bass, Berry Sims that I was hoping for. Imagine that building on the 150 Third Ave So. site. Wow!

The Symhpony Center in Atlanta is absolutely gorgeous. It's my new favorite building in Atlanta. It's great knowing the Crown is being designed by the same company that did Symphony Center. There's no doubt in my mind that the finished product would be beautiful, and one of the most struking buildings in Nashville.

FLOOR PLATE Approximately 19,100 rsf per floor

I'm almost in shock, even I didn't think the floor plate would be THAT small. JMO, this site could easily have a 35k to 1 acre floor plate - with setbacks! That would be incredible - for any city.

22 x 43,560 = 958,320 sf would be too ambious??? I must be too pratical. Thanks prguy

This one in Denver (1100 15th) seems to resemble the Nashville renderings fairly closely.

I am hoping for some stone cladding which the developers claim will be prominent on the facade of the building.

Yikes, Bass, Berry, and Stumpy got a twin. :blink:

I like the AIM Building in Houston. It has nice lines.

This one ? http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=158120

It says it has never been built.

Why don't the letters of the L&C change colors anymore? Don't they know the retro look is in? That would be so cool!

When did they last change colors ? I can't recall. Of course, when it was first built, it jutted up as far above the downtown as the Sig will above the current skyline, and I understand that folks need only look up at the colors on the logo for an "instant weather report." The Weather Channel for the '50s. :lol:

I think this building would look fine with some sort of ornament on top. It could be just form and/or function. Nothing fancy just a top piece of eye candy.

Check out the St. Mary's Tower in the Memphis thread(sorry no link) for an example.

This might not be the best example, as I dont know as much about architecture as you guys. Just as idea.

Hell, I cant even match my socks. :silly:

• 3 months later...

Archived