Bass Berry & Sims Tower "The Crown"

doormanpoet

I don't know... I kind of like it. I actually like it better than the encore... and better than Terrazo and Adelicia... so....

But it WILL depend on the materials used... it can either be really nice or REALLY bad, depending on what materials are used....

I feel the same way.....I think this will be a very attractive tower with the right materials.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know... I kind of like it. I actually like it better than the encore... and better than Terrazo and Adelicia... so....

But it WILL depend on the materials used... it can either be really nice or REALLY bad, depending on what materials are used....

I think you're right about the materials. I agree that this tower looks better than many that will be gracing the Nashville skyline in the near future. I expect this building to look more stunning than the renderings make it look now. I look forward to seeing updated renderings that give a better idea of the colors of the materials and the lighting. I have a feeling this building will feature more detail than these rendering let on. Maybe they should include all the proposed projects in the next renderings as well.

I feel the same way.....I think this will be a very attractive tower with the right materials.

I have seen much more detailed renderings. It could be a very attractive building. They are looking at using some sort of stone that would be very complementary to the symphony hall in color. The pedestal of the building is the same height or a bit lower than the symphony. There is also very dramatic up lighting on the entire building that is not well illustrated in these renderings.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the pedestal changed from a parking garage that is wrapped to look like the building, to a garage that is wrapped with a single loaded corridor of apartments with ground level retail. I'd like to see the block broken up so that it looks like 4 buildings instead of one. At the street level it would be much more interesting to me to see varried architectural styles with the appearance of multiple buildings. The block is so big it would be great to break it up a bit.

Michael

I agree with the lofts/apt wrapped with retail. Did they not say street front retail would be included? I se no indication on the images. Also what do you think of the 2nd ave side? It looks pretty menacing to me.

OK after studying the hi-re images that Richard Laeson emailed me lastnight (past my bed time) I am going to shock my fellow "tallies" world. Are you ready?

Wait for it!

Wait for it!

This building either needs to be developed as a stand alone project sans the 'pedestal' or it needs to be reduced in height and increased in width. It looks out of place IMO, like forcing a square peg in a round hole. Now this may not be a reflection on the designers but a compromise betwen their vision and what they think will pass in Sobro. Either way this falls short. Also someone else with the hi-res rendering comment on the 2MB .jpg of the East side of the development. It looks like the back of the GEC or CM HOF but with glass. No activity seems to be adressed on this side (unless I am missing it)! Is it an alley or something?

Anyway this just looks like a '60's era municipal project but with better materials (limestone or granite and glass).

I agree with you 1000 percent.

Well, it's a building i've seen a thousand times in other places. That is not to say that the design is necessarily "bad", but it is a little unimaginative. That being said though, certainly not every new construction should be required to be architectually ground breaking and blow our minds in order to be built. I think this should be a fine addition to our city.

311 South Wacker

In Chicago, the 311 South Wacker building is one that truly has a "crown." We call it the Wedding Cake building. It does look kind of cool at night. Perhaps the top portion of the BBS building will be a giant light fixture? Still, it did not quite meet the expectations that I had when I heard the word, "crown."

Maybe we can get Belk to add an "A-class" store to the bottom of the building so there would be activity on the street. And it would give the symphony goers something to look at while walking back to their cars.

Although I am disappointed by the lack of a crown I do agree that this is a nice addition to Downtown. I also should point out that the simple design works well beside the Scherm. I am glad those two don't seem to be competing for attention. One has height and the other has asthetics galore. I look at the tower as a palate cleanser in an otherwise very architectually diverse area.

Oh and I am serious about putting retail at ground level. If we want a true downtown we have to have retail and everyone knows you're da bomb if you have a downtown department store. If we ever do get one downtown I kinda see it going in this area. but enough dreaming for now.

Maybe we can get Belk to add an "A-class" store to the bottom of the building so there would be activity on the street. And it would give the symphony goers something to look at while walking back to their cars.

Why a Belk? Why not a store that people actually want to go in? Although I like the idea of a department store in any downtown.

Well, heck, let's give this thing a crown. I like this building. No, it's not earthshattering, but I like it. I like the fact that it will keep the firm downtown instead of moving out to the 'burbs. We'll see what shakes in the upcoming weeks. The ideas presented here for apts, condos, department store are great.

But, if you guys are just so disappointed about the lack of a crown, well, here:

WithCrown-1.jpg

change in punchline:

"Here ya go, have a Royal Crown."

sorry :)

Hey Mr. Hayes,

Just wondering... with the addition of the "crown" as well as the Symphony hall.... is there any chance that the baseball stadium may go the architectural route of the two? I'm starting to like the idea of having the stadium as well as the condo's fit in with the symphony hall and this building. I think it could look beautiful (ala the museum campus in Chicago with the museums and soldier field all complementing each other). Could you tell us wether or not you guys are considering going that route?

Thanks!!

Paula

I think that this building reminds me of 2 International Finance Center in Hong Kong, which is the cities current tallest. I think that if they made the top of the "crown" look more like the building in Hong Kong than maybe it would not appear as if the top was chopped off. The building in Hong Kong looks really nice at night as well. There are some good pics of it on SSP. Ofcourse I don't want our building to be exactly the same but does everyone at least see what I am talking about? It's not too over the top but I think that it would look a little better than it currently does. Overall I like the idea of the building but I doo think that it's missing something at the top.

Michael

I agree with the lofts/apt wrapped with retail. Did they not say street front retail would be included? I se no indication on the images. Also what do you think of the 2nd ave side? It looks pretty menacing to me.

Ground level retail on 2nd, 3rd and Demonbreun. Not sure about Symphony Place. As far as the garage goes, from what I have seen to date, the base is too big for me (I would not let it kill the project though). I think the tower could be better highlighted if there was actually something different around it, ie. different architectural styles and heights to really set it off.

Hey Mr. Hayes,

Just wondering... with the addition of the "crown" as well as the Symphony hall.... is there any chance that the baseball stadium may go the architectural route of the two? I'm starting to like the idea of having the stadium as well as the condo's fit in with the symphony hall and this building. I think it could look beautiful (ala the museum campus in Chicago with the museums and soldier field all complementing each other). Could you tell us wether or not you guys are considering going that route?

Thanks!!

Paula

We are definately sensitive to the neighborhood.

It would be challenging though to do exactly wht you are suggesting. The neo-classical design of the symphony would be hard to do for a ballpark. Soldier Field (pre-renovation) is that only sports facility I can think of that has neo-classical design elements, I just don't think it would work here. From a cost standpoint the limestone exterior would also be cost prohibitive. I do not think there will be much rock or brick in the ballpark. Our designers are trying to make the facility as transparent as possible to preserve views to and throug the stadium.

At this point in time, we have been taking design cues from the Shelby St. Bridge (with the building that touches it), lower broadway/mkt street apts and warehouses for the ballpark and building that is on the South side of Demonbreun, and with the Gateway Bridge for the Gateway Blvd building and to some degree for the ballpark.

I do think you will be very pleased with the designs we are working on.

Well, I do like it. It's not what I was expecting. I was expectinga wonderful stone building, very art deco, and with a great crown. Instead, we got a glass building, not very art deco, and that crown is pretty sad. But, it's an attractive building nonetheless. I hope to see more detailed renderings of the base sometime soon.

From the publicity released regarding the design of the 'Crown' building, points were made regarding the facades resemblence to some elements of the Empire State Building. I suppose, probably referring to the way the stone cladding works with the glass to create a feeling of verticality.

CrownESB.jpg

However, I suspect the building in the immediate foreground is probably closer to the look of the the 'Crown' facade than the ESB would be. Substitute a whiter marble look for the cladding, to complement the Symphony Hall, and we might have an idea how the finished product may look.

I aologize for the quality of the photo. It didn't transfer well to JPEG format.

Well, heck, let's give this thing a crown. I like this building. No, it's not earthshattering, but I like it. I like the fact that it will keep the firm downtown instead of moving out to the 'burbs. We'll see what shakes in the upcoming weeks. The ideas presented here for apts, condos, department store are great.

But, if you guys are just so disappointed about the lack of a crown, well, here:

WithCrown-1.jpg

change in punchline:

"Here ya go, have a Royal Crown."

sorry :)

:rofl::rofl:

Dave, you have outdone yourself with that one! My sides are splitting! :rofl:

Seriously though, I think to only problem I have with this project is with the parking garage. I tend to agree with Michael Hayes that wrapping some condos or apartments around the parage with street level retail would be a great improvement. One other possible improve would be to add so much residential that they would have to make this project taller....at least 200 Ft taller. I'd like to see it taller than the Batman Building's "ears." Then I would really be stoked!

Archived