Election 2006

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Bush cannot pass a piece of legislation he wants with a majority in both the Senate and House........

What I mean to say is if it was something he really wanted, ihe should be able to get it passed. After the proposal was met with little support among his base he quickly dropped it.

Because his base is made of people like me who see this "guest worker" program as amnesty light. I think everyone here illegally should return to their home country and apply for one of these guest worker visa's. Then we will be able to do an effective background check and know who really is in our country. Anyone here illegally after that point is deported immediately.

I agree in a perfect world a mass deportation would be great. But in reality it cannot work. That would be 9+million(maybe more or less) Mexicans with no home in Mexico. The humanitarian crisis you see in third world countries would play out right across our border. Also we would not have many people we need to run our economy. I have a brother who manages dozens of legals and illegals(also many Americans), his workplace would be crushed. Unemployment is so low in this country that finding the number of qualified replacements would be impossible. As a result his product would not be produced, and businesses and homes that need it would be without it. Also fyi he pays those illegals the same wage as his American workers, which is well above minimum.

Doing a mass background check would be a nightmare, and would not neccasarily do anything. As I said earlier, the 9/11 hijackers came on visas. How do we truly know who is safe? Rocky top, how do we go about preventing people from crossing the border? Do we station NG troops there? I think that is a tremendous waste of resources. Do we build a gigantic wall at an enormous cost? There is no easy answer. It is too easy to toe the party line and not think for yourself. It is too easy to place blame on a specific group of people. It is too easy to hate someone based on what others of the same race have done. I must ask one time, how are these illegals negatively affecting your life?

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this article today, thought it was quite relevant.

Yahoo article

Here is an interesting quote,

"These people come over here to make a better way of life, not to blow us up," complained Keith Slater, who keeps a portrait of

Ronald Reagan on the wall. "I'm a die-hard Republican, but I think we missed the boat with this one."

It is shaping up to be an interesting election year.

^That article is, to paraphrase Sen. George Allen, "macaca."

Speaking of Allen, how stupid can someone be? The guy had a lot of support going for him and then uses the French equivalent of the n-word, not just once, but several times. Just bizarre.

But really though fieldmarshall, I know you can come back better than that. This article descibes almost exactly what I said would happen and was told would not. Ignore the little personal pity stories, its interesting what we are in for if we insist on deporting all illegals.

A little more on Ford from Wikipedia that proves he's not a Tennessean:

He graduated from St. Albans School for Boys in Washington, D.C. and received a B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia in 1992 and a J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School in 1996. He sat for and failed to pass the Tennessee Bar Exam in 1998, but he has publicly acknowledged that he will try again.

Is it just me, or do you notice anything missing from that paragraph? oh... maybe... TENNESSEE??????

Lol...so somebody had to have lived his or her entire life in a state in order to serve it's people? Hmm, well, I guess that cancels me and just about everybody else out!

Seriously...stop voting based on people's personal lives. It is absolutely ridiculous. We are voting for the people who will serve us the best and make the laws that directly impact our lives. Some people, yourself included seemingly, pretend like we're voting for who talks the most like you or who would throw the best back yard party. Get serious.

People voted George Bush in because he played make believe and people bought it because his act made them comfortable. He pretended to be a simple southern cowboy, who doesn't know much, and speaks with an accent 'just like mine!'...well, guess what! Not only is he clearly not qualified to be making our foreign policy decisions (he hadn't even been out of the country before he was the president), but he also is nothing like his act! He was born and raised and schooled in New England, and bought his Crawford ranch just before his election.

Saying all this is simply to back up my claim that you should vote based on qualifications. Why does it matter if the guy is a "yankee" for chrissake?

Speaking of Allen, how stupid can someone be? The guy had a lot of support going for him and then uses the French equivalent of the n-word, not just once, but several times. Just bizarre.

But really though fieldmarshall, I know you can come back better than that. This article descibes almost exactly what I said would happen and was told would not. Ignore the little personal pity stories, its interesting what we are in for if we insist on deporting all illegals.

As for Allen, no worries that he will be reelected despite the silly gaffe. His opponent, Mr. Webb, is a dishonest anti-Semite of whom is trying to exploit the beloved late President Reagan (of whom he quit on) to shore up his shameful candidacy.

As for the article in question, I always love how the AP ("Absolute Pablum") manages to find "disgruntled Republicans" to give sound bytes in their pieces. The Feds are obviously FINALLY doing their jobs of removing illegal criminals from our country (and one part also underscored why anchor babies born of these illegal criminals need to be done away with, another abomination).

I especially loved this choice bit: "This reminds me of what I read about Nazi Germany, the Gestapo coming in and yanking people up," Slater said. I wonder what political party the Mayor belongs to, but I'll lay odds it starts with a "D" (though, of course, it could also just as easily be a gutless RINO). I wonder if she felt the same way when Janet Reno's Stormtroopers acting on orders from Clintoon pointed a army-grade semi-automatic rifle at Elian Gonzales's head (of whom had full legal right to be here in this country based on our policies towards Cuban refugees) and forced him back to the bosom of Daddy Fidel and slavery in Cuba. This stupid Mayor needs to realize that these are illegal criminals with no right whatsoever to be in the United States. They want to come here, they need to get in line like everybody else and do it the legal way. Any other way, and they are criminals, plain and simple.

And THIS is the best part:

The poultry plant has limped along with half its normal workforce. Crider increased its starting wages by $1 an hour to help recruit new workers. Stacie Bell, 23, started work canning chicken at Crider a week ago. She said the pay, $7.75 an hour, led her to leave her $5.60-an-hour job as a Wal-Mart cashier in nearby Statesboro.

Imagine that, cracking down on illegal criminals has had the added benefit of raising wages. Looks like Americans WILL be doing the jobs the President claims they won't be after all. Gotta love America. :D

I fully agree with the analysis of the piece here at PoliPundit: http://polipundit.com/index.php?p=15045

Lol...so somebody had to have lived his or her entire life in a state in order to serve it's people? Hmm, well, I guess that cancels me and just about everybody else out!

Seriously...stop voting based on people's personal lives. It is absolutely ridiculous. We are voting for the people who will serve us the best and make the laws that directly impact our lives. Some people, yourself included seemingly, pretend like we're voting for who talks the most like you or who would throw the best back yard party. Get serious.

People voted George Bush in because he played make believe and people bought it because his act made them comfortable. He pretended to be a simple southern cowboy, who doesn't know much, and speaks with an accent 'just like mine!'...well, guess what! Not only is he clearly not qualified to be making our foreign policy decisions (he hadn't even been out of the country before he was the president), but he also is nothing like his act! He was born and raised and schooled in New England, and bought his Crawford ranch just before his election.

Saying all this is simply to back up my claim that you should vote based on qualifications. Why does it matter if the guy is a "yankee" for chrissake?

Some points I have to address in this. The basic point is about misrepresenting who and what you are and what you stand for. As I might've mentioned, I'm thoroughly disgusted by both choices for the U.S. Senate. The Democrat comes from a criminal family that rivals the Corleones, proclaims himself a Conservative (a falsehood), proclaims himself a strong Christian (despite voting 60% against religious measures) and can't even name the church he goes to. He spent most of his life going to high-class schools while trying to say he is "one of the people" in Memphis (the same people of whom he'd deny their children the right to attend the schools he was enabled to with school vouchers). In other words, a rank hypocrite.

I'd tell you my REAL opinion of that $3 phony from Chattanooga that hijacked the Republican nomination, but I'd probably be thrown off this board. Junior's only honest point in any of his ads was stating that Corker ran deceitful ads against Ed Bryant, who deserved more than any other Republican in the state of Tennessee the nomination for the U.S. Senate. Certainly one of the finest men to serve this state in Washington in a long time.

As for not voting for people based on their personal lives, I'm sorry, but that's the same pablum the Clintonistas force-fed us for years. Sorry, pal, but it is ALL about character. You ignore that, and you end up with sleazy, philandering rapists who sell nuclear secrets to our enemies in the Oval Office and mismanage foreign policy to the point that some Islamofascists hijack planes and fly them into our buildings. If it's not about character and personal life, nothing is. I base ALL my votes upon the personal character of the candidates, and it is why I cannot support either Junior or Corker.

Now, as for the comments regarding the current President. He was indeed born in Connecticut, but he was raised in Texas from the time he was 2 years old. He was indeed sent to Phillips Academy & Yale, but was never much a part of their culture, and never was fully comfortable there, especially at the latter after it became a bastion for anti-American left brainwashing. I don't know what this deliberate "misrepresentation" was about his image, as the impression often left by the popular liberal media is that anyone from Texas with center-right views is some sort of "cowboy." I had never heard the claim he hadn't been out of the country, which is almost laughable on its face given that he lived in a border state. For the added claim he had no right to engage in foreign policymaking, that is even more ludicrous. As Governor of Texas, he had more right to claim experience in that field (again, because it was the 3rd most populous state in the nation that had to frequently deal with Mexico), than some buffoonish criminal from a certain other small Southern state.

And THIS is the best part:

The poultry plant has limped along with half its normal workforce. Crider increased its starting wages by $1 an hour to help recruit new workers. Stacie Bell, 23, started work canning chicken at Crider a week ago. She said the pay, $7.75 an hour, led her to leave her $5.60-an-hour job as a Wal-Mart cashier in nearby Statesboro.

Imagine that, cracking down on illegal criminals has had the added benefit of raising wages. Looks like Americans WILL be doing the jobs the President claims they won't be after all. Gotta love America. :D

<<<Slaps forehead. I give up. If you cannot see the problem here, go pick up an econ textbook and read again.

I used to be the most hardcore Repub, more so than even you. Then one day I opened my eyes to what is happening. Everyday we move closer to a theocracy. Every day government tries more and more to limit my choices, usually in the name of fighting terrorism. I do not do anything illegal, but I still have a huge problem with warrantless wiretaps. I know no Arabs, yet I despise what we are doing in Guantanamo Bay. I would go further, but it is pointless.

<<<Slaps forehead. I give up. If you cannot see the problem here, go pick up an econ textbook and read again.

I used to be the most hardcore Repub, more so than even you. Then one day I opened my eyes to what is happening. Everyday we move closer to a theocracy. Every day government tries more and more to limit my choices, usually in the name of fighting terrorism. I do not do anything illegal, but I still have a huge problem with warrantless wiretaps. I know no Arabs, yet I despise what we are doing in Guantanamo Bay. I would go further, but it is pointless.

It's pointless that you ever went to a history class in high school or college. It's obvious you didn't learn anything.

It's pointless that you ever went to a history class in high school or college. It's obvious you didn't learn anything.

Actually history was my favorite subject (maybe more than Econ), even though it was not my major. I loved Russian history in particular, although early American can be equally as fascinating. Russia produced some amazing literature at the time(150 years ago on) because of the political environment at the time. I encourage you to research what happens when one group begins to blame another for its woes, it never begins with malice but it never ends well.

The problem I have with all government is that it never gets smaller. The Bush tax cuts would have been great BUT, they were not tax cuts. A tax cut that corresponds with a reduction in government is a tax cut. The next generation will be paying for this tax cut, but making people see more than 5-10 years ahead is difficult. In TN we will never give back the last 1 cent increase in sales tax, unless of course we are willing to accept an income tax with a reduced sales tax. It does not take a degree in economics to see this.

Fieldmarshallj, you stated that Allen's opponent was a dishonest anti-semite. Are we to assume that Allen is an honest racist? He may very well when his Senate seat, he will never win the Presidency now. It is funny you say Bush was not comfortable at Yale. From what I've read he was a typical frat guy and people say he had a knack for knowing everyone. But I guess he was uncomfortable since he went to Harvard for his MBA. I do recall in his first election campaign not knowing the leaders of several critical countries(India and Pakistan among them). Although I think these things are unimportant to the big picture, I feel I must defend BNA in his argument.

Your statement that "anchor babies need to be done away with" blows my mind. What ignorance is in that statement. This sentence makes me care less whether you ever agree with me, but I will continue. I also recall your argument that too many felons are crossing the borders(which I agree with), I remembered several days later a famous local felon of ours that sought refuge in Mexico, lol. Back to the article. First off, the mayor's son is the "die-hard" Republican, I think we can assume his father is as well. Also your new high wages have one problem.....higher prices to maintain profits, which negates their effect. Here is another quote you missed(they must be disgruntled Republicans or Democrats):

"At Sucursal Salina No. 2, a store stocked with Mexican fruit sodas and snacks, cashier Alberto Gonzalez said Wednesday that the owner may shutter the place. By midday, Gonzalez has had only six customers. Normally, he would see 100.

The B&S convenience store, owned by Keith and Regan Slater, the mayor's son and grandson, has lost about 80 percent of its business."

On to this Senate race: The one thing I really like about Bob Corker is that he made money in real life, something Ford did not. However I feel Corker will only take the party line, something I do not agree with at the time. Ford has two specific stances on issues that I agree with that are crucial in my life(both personal and I will go no further) that Republicans are currently against. Both are stances that traditional less government Republicans would be for, but are currently opposed to due to the political climate now. Republicans have strayed from the message they were founded on, and I want them to go back. I want freedom to do as I wish. I want lower government spending. I want our soldiers engaged in wars that are just (Afghanistan, not Iraq), and used if and only is they have to be. I want separation of the church and the state. It really isn't so much to ask.

Nashcan,

I try to base all my beliefs in practicality and history. Please tell me where I have strayed.

You misread me, I'm not a hardcore Republican. I'm a law & order Conservative. If I was a hardcore Republican, I'd be another ra-ra cheerleader for the RINO Corker. He does NOT have my support. Perhaps in 6 years he might, but not now. As for economics, you seem to favor slave labor based on illegals. That is a moral abomination to me. As for the theocracy comment, that is beyond laughable. I suggest a visit to Iran. As for radical liberal Carterite/Clintonista judges interfering in the government protecting us from terrorists, I favor putting them in Guantanamo. Anything else ? :)

Fieldmarshallj, you stated that Allen's opponent was a dishonest anti-semite. Are we to assume that Allen is an honest racist? He may very well when his Senate seat, he will never win the Presidency now. It is funny you say Bush was not comfortable at Yale. From what I've read he was a typical frat guy and people say he had a knack for knowing everyone. But I guess he was uncomfortable since he went to Harvard for his MBA. I do recall in his first election campaign not knowing the leaders of several critical countries(India and Pakistan among them). Although I think these things are unimportant to the big picture, I feel I must defend BNA in his argument.

Your statement that "anchor babies need to be done away with" blows my mind. What ignorance is in that statement. This sentence makes me care less whether you ever agree with me, but I will continue. I also recall your argument that too many felons are crossing the borders(which I agree with), I remembered several days later a famous local felon of ours that sought refuge in Mexico, lol. Back to the article. First off, the mayor's son is the "die-hard" Republican, I think we can assume his father is as well. Also your new high wages have one problem.....higher prices to maintain profits, which negates their effect. Here is another quote you missed(they must be disgruntled Republicans or Democrats):

"At Sucursal Salina No. 2, a store stocked with Mexican fruit sodas and snacks, cashier Alberto Gonzalez said Wednesday that the owner may shutter the place. By midday, Gonzalez has had only six customers. Normally, he would see 100.

The B&S convenience store, owned by Keith and Regan Slater, the mayor's son and grandson, has lost about 80 percent of its business."

On to this Senate race: The one thing I really like about Bob Corker is that he made money in real life, something Ford did not. However I feel Corker will only take the party line, something I do not agree with at the time. Ford has two specific stances on issues that I agree with that are crucial in my life(both personal and I will go no further) that Republicans are currently against. Both are stances that traditional less government Republicans would be for, but are currently opposed to due to the political climate now. Republicans have strayed from the message they were founded on, and I want them to go back. I want freedom to do as I wish. I want lower government spending. I want our soldiers engaged in wars that are just (Afghanistan, not Iraq), and used if and only is they have to be. I want separation of the church and the state. It really isn't so much to ask.

Nashcan,

I try to base all my beliefs in practicality and history. Please tell me where I have strayed.

No, I would not call Allen a racist, as the term was not implied as such. Allen's mistake was using a word that even he didn't know what it meant. I like using the term "macaca" now, because it is the new liberal media term for "bull$hit." Whenever I see a nonsense article, I call it "pure macaca." :lol:

I should've clarified my comment regarding Dubya and his tenure at the Ivy Leaguers. Obviously he enjoyed the frat atmosphere, I sort of think of him as a (to use "Animal House" references), a Delta guy who was in an Omega frat. Where he didn't care for the atmosphere was the pull of the campus and its leaders away from reason and sanity. I'm sure it was thrilling for him to be called into the Yale chaplain's office, the infamous radical "Rev" William Sloane Coffin and have the man tell him to his face that it was a "good thing" that his father lost his Senate contest in Texas. I'd have punched that pinko slimeball in the mouth for that.

My statement about anchor babies cannot be an "ignorant" statement because it is voicing an opinion about bad policy that encourages illegals. You can term it wrongheaded, but it cannot be ignorant. Ignorant would be making a false claim (i.e. Harold Ford, Jr. is a Conservative or Fort Lauderdale is in the mountains). In any event, I find it pointless debating the immigration issue for reasons already cited. I used to be like you and take a laissez-faire attitude on the subject and even once got annoyed when I heard about raids on construction sights rounding up illegals who "just wanted to work." Unfortunately, it was borne of ignorance. Every time we sit there and excuse illegals remaining here, we inch closer and closer to complete anarchy. I'm sorry, but that's not the society I want to live in.

As for the comment on your agreement with Junior on some social position, whatever it may be, I always am intrigued by some who utilize the "freedom" argument on some particular point that generally tends to cover something either offensive, odious, or wrong-headed. A completely free society as such is one that is the anarchical one I described above. Limits and standards of decency are placed to ensure society remains a civilized and moral one. It's why, for example, I will never support candidates who favor infanticide, drug legalization, purging of (Judeo-Christian) religion from government/public venues, and anti-law & order/pro-illegal stances.

Sometimes I think it is pointless to keep telling people to follow the rules here and not throw out pointless insults in an pointless attempt to discredit the person they disagree with. Do you really think your attempt to make someone out as ignorant stupid or anything else lower than you is going to make anyone reading this that you have the highground?

I don't have the time to police this so I am closing the thread. I note the same cast of characters are present when this happens in this section. Go to the main coffee house if you want to debate politics.

Archived