Downtown Redevelopment

wks2003x

Poplar St. Block to be Redeveloped

An entire city block in the heart of downtown is about to be redeveloped into retail stores, offices and 7 luxury condominuims. This kind of work is rare and almost unheard of for downtown...and I'm actually surprised that something like this is going to happen considering the magnitude of interest in pushing retail and residential to Macon's suburbs. Let's hope this project (along with Riverside, the city's first true mixed-use development, also to be built downtown) see the light of day. I'll be on the lookout for details.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An entire city block in the heart of downtown is about to be redeveloped into retail stores, offices and 7 luxury condominuims. This kind of work is rare and almost unheard of for downtown...and I'm actually surprised that something like this is going to happen considering the magnitude of interest in pushing retail and residential to Macon's suburbs. Let's hope this project (along with Riverside, the city's first true mixed-use development, also to be built downtown) see the light of day. I'll be on the lookout for details.

Yes, ive heard a lot about this lately. I wan to see a model or something of one of the condos. Will they be worth the money? Even if so, there has to be an enjoyable atmosphere around the condos for ppl to wnat to move in. I am also shocked at this development as it seems more like an Atlana project, where its announced and it just happens instead of typical Macon where all sorts of debates and contreversies arise. Well i guess ill stop b4 i jinx the project. lol

I read this artlicle in the Macon Telegraph. Interesting. Great news. Isn't there going to be a movie studio and prop maker moving in. I think its called Blue Sky Productions or something. That is amazing. Something very great for Macon. BTW Have you guys heard of Mary THerese lately. I know she works at Robins now.

• 2 weeks later...

I am excited about macon's downtown redevelopment. it about time that some the luxury development decides to spur in another city besides atlanta. I wonder if the 7 condos planned would be redeveloped old buildings or will they be builted from the ground up, if so will they be high rises.

I am excited about macon's downtown redevelopment. it about time that some the luxury development decides to spur in another city besides atlanta. I wonder if the 7 condos planned would be redeveloped old buildings or will they be builted from the ground up, if so will they be high rises.

I would think that you could only rise 7 condos so high. More than likely they will be restoration projects. Thats what most of the downtown developments are going to be for a while. When the current buildings are mostly occupied then we will probably start seeing mor new construction downtow. There is supposed to be an apt. building being built from the ground up on 3rd & Cherry I believe though.

That great, but a lot of those old building downtown should be torn down along MLK BLVD. i'm just ready for some developers to come in and develop more highrise buildings downtown and make it look more like a larger cities.

Do any one have any of the latest information on the conventional center hotel proposed for the centre plex downtown.

That great, but a lot of those old building downtown should be torn down along MLK BLVD. i'm just ready for some developers to come in and develop more highrise buildings downtown and make it look more like a larger cities.

Do any one have any of the latest information on the conventional center hotel proposed for the centre plex downtown.

I heard that the Chamber of Commerce was moving fromits current location (i forgot to where) and that its place would be the ideal spot to place the hotel ending the delima about drastically reducing parking at the Centreplex. I believe that they are still months away from construction though. It hasnt gotten much press lately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any information about when MTA is gonna move to the Terminal Station? The quicker they move, the quicker the riverview development gets underway.

*off topic, The old B&W building is getting a new tenant.!!! Can't wait for the announcement on who it is.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I disagree. Macon has a surprising number of historic buildings available for renovation. Rather than tearing them down, they should be renovated for mixed-use and supplemented with infill on vacant lots and surface parking lots. Macon, like most Southern cities it size, needs urban density and character with an active street life, not a decade of development used up to build an unnecessary tall building.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Macon-people. I was in your wonderful city last Friday and was quite impressed. You have a great downtown with some very pretty neighborhoods out toward Vineland. Downtown Macon has really improved over the past few years. I like the layout of downtown. Very nice trip!!

Hello Macon-people. I was in your wonderful city last Friday and was quite impressed. You have a great downtown with some very pretty neighborhoods out toward Vineland. Downtown Macon has really improved over the past few years. I like the layout of downtown. Very nice trip!!

"Vineville"? lol Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

• 2 months later...

How long until they start on the Riverside Condo? Its been proposed for quite some time now.

It did say i think the whole up is that the MAC transist is moving into the terminal station and it Facuity has to be demonished because it space will be part of the condos' development...

It did say i think the whole up is that the MAC transist is moving into the terminal station and it Facuity has to be demonished because it space will be part of the condos' development...

No i think u have the wrong spot on Riverside. This condo is gonna be 167 Riverside Dr. That's right next to that new brick office building ("Ice House") on the other side of Coliseum Dr. as if you are going to Central City Park. The area you are talking about is the 800 Block and thats gonna be a whole different mixed use development. But thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

No i think u have the wrong spot on Riverside. This condo is gonna be 167 Riverside Dr. That's right next to that new brick office building ("Ice House") on the other side of Coliseum Dr. as if you are going to Central City Park. The area you are talking about is the 800 Block and thats gonna be a whole different mixed use development. But thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

No there are two proposed Spots DT for Condos the mix used Developement Condos/retail & Office Site Where the Curent MAC building is now and the a private developer proposed Condos at the corner or MLK and Central Park... If you go to Newtowm Macon.com go to http://www.newtownmacon.com/index.php?opti...9&Itemid=44 look for these headings it will explain the two projects in detail...

Evaluation of Proposal to Develop Riverfront Condominiums

Riverside Mixed-Use Project Business Plan

No there are two proposed Spots DT for Condos the mix used Developement Condos/retail & Office Site Where the Curent MAC building is now and the a private developer proposed Condos at the corner or MLK and Central Park... If you go to Newtowm Macon.com go to http://www.newtownmacon.com/index.php?opti...9&Itemid=44 look for these headings it will explain the two projects in detail...

Evaluation of Proposal to Develop Riverfront Condominiums

Riverside Mixed-Use Project Business Plan

Yeh, but the mixed-use development isnt for sure going to be condos. It could just end up being office and retail. 167 Riverside is strictly a condo development. We wont see the mixed use for a while because the terminal statin isnt moving forward as fast as planned. My question is whats the hold up at 167 Riverside Dr.

• 2 weeks later...

Bibb County are in works for Building a new court house DT that could cost over $75 million, county's judicial workers would like to see a new courthouse open its doors by June 2009. The judges have said they want the new court to be located in downtown Macon because they understand the economic impact the courthouse has on city businesses, and they prefer to be as close to the county jail as possible because of the convenience of transporting inmates. As for a new location for the courthouse, the Facility Group suggested that commissioners consider the parking lot beside the Grand Opera House, which the county already owns. Building there poses a few challenges, though.There is enough space there, the report said, but only if the county builds a structure a few stories higher than the current courthouse. The problem with that is, the higher one goes from the ground, the more costly the construction becomes.Building there also would eliminate parking, which would have to replaced with an elevated parking deck. The cost of such a deck usually runs about $15,000 per space

If the court is built it would have to be high rises structure because the lot is not largest for it to go outwards... Also that would help improves Macon Skyline

• 11 months later...

Downtown Macon apartment projects move forward

One project, now called The Lofts at 425 New, is planned at the Chapman-Poe property at Cherry and New streets. The property is owned by the authority, and several developments have been proposed on the site for a number of years.

Although current plans still are being finalized, the project would include 43 loft-style apartments ranging from about 530 square feet for efficiencies to units with about 1,166 square feet and single-car garages, said Patrick Madison, co-owner of Madison-Poss & Associates, a real estate development and construction company. The apartments are expected to rent from about $525 a month to about $850 to $900 a month, depending on the size.

Another project is planned for a mixed-use development on the east side of Riverside Drive between Burger King and Rotary Park. The project would include removing or renovating the former Skipper restaurant building on the property into another restaurant.

The working title of the project is Wharf Street Centre, and it would include at least 224 apartment units in the first phase, said Zan Thompson, owner of ZT3 Placemaker Studio, an urban planning and design firm.

"It might be possible to put a 145,000-square-foot office building on the site,

The apartments and office building would have access to a parking deck that will be partially underground. Another 25,000 square feet would be filled by small office or retail users

Article:

http://www.macon.com/102/story/359079.html

• 2 weeks later...

Dannenberg building-a group of developers have plans to turn the building into 50 lofts and add a fourth floor of luxury condos.

has anyone heard anything about this project.the group is made up of some of the capicorn center investors.I wonder if thet will do both or just the larger capicorn development?

Archived