PROPOSED: Pedestrian Bridge

I know this won't come to fruition for some time, but it's never to early to start discussing the proposed pedestrian bridge that will eventually replace the I-195 bridge. I'd like to see a real landmark bridge here. There's plenty of space between this bridge and the Crawford and Point St. bridges to really make whatever goes here stand out. Not to mention it will lead up to a new park, revitalized South St. Station/ Dynamo House, and other post 195 developments. Also, the skyline views from it, especially post 110, will be incredible. I can really see this bridge, with the skyline dominating the background as the money Providence photo shot of the future.

I-195 Bridge today, taken from Point St. Bridge

206304562_2719686b2a.jpg

Recent pedestrian bridges from other cities

Seattle

35a.jpg

New Castle, UK

MillenniumBridge.jpg

London

Millenium%20Bridge.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something like the seattle one or london one would be ncie. but teh newcastle one looks like it's too long and they made it longer than it had to be by giving it that big curve.

The New Castle bridge actually pivots to allow boats to pass under it - though I'm not sure that would be necessary in Providence. I think they actually refer to it as a giant blinking eye. It's certainly an extraordinary structure.

2bridge1.jpg

I love that Seattle bridge, but do we have to worry that an intricate design like that would compete with the IWay bridge?

You won't really be able to see much of the iWay bridge from the Pedestrian Bridge and vice versa, I think. There's the Point Street Bridge, and the Hurricane Barrier between the two.

i think it should compliment the iway bridge (why is it called "iway"?)

The city hired a PR unit, and that's what they came up with. When in doubt, opt for the play on words. It's a little pun cluster, actually. It refers to the bridge's function as a highway, and it refers to the fabulous view (eye-way) the bridge should provide of our sexy CBD, and it refers to the Interstate tag, as in I-95.

I like it. So I use it. You can call it something else, if you like. :whistling:

The city hired a PR unit, and that's what they came up with. When in doubt, opt for the play on words. It's a little pun cluster, actually. It refers to the bridge's function as a highway, and it refers to the fabulous view (eye-way) the bridge should provide of our sexy CBD, and it refers to the Interstate tag, as in I-95.

I like it. So I use it. You can call it something else, if you like. :whistling:

something else... like i don't know, i'm gonna go out on a limb here... 195? :P

Some folks just hate change. And by some folks, I mean my fellow Rhode Islanders.

Of course it's 195, but there's a lot of 195. They tell me that there's even some of 195 that goes into Massachusetts, aka The Other Side of the World, but I wouldn't know about that. The IWay tag refers specifically to the relocated stretch. We put a lot of time, money, and effort into that project, and we deserve a flashy brandname to go with it, dammit. And not least of all, we certainly paid enough for it, so we might as well use it.

OK, so I'm being kinda facetious, and yes, the IWay label is a little silly. But I like it. Specifically, I like it in the the context in which I used it, that is, as it applies to the new signature bridge.

And since we're going to be hearing about that bridge a lot in very near future, I hope the name starts to catch on. :thumbsup:

I think we need Santiago Calatrava to design the pedestrian bridge. Something like the Campo Volantin Bridge in Bilbao would be great. Signature structures like that really help put a city on the global map.

We first need to convince RIDOT to build the pedestrian bridge; they have not committed to building the bridge. Once we have convinced them that the bridge needs to be built, let's get them to do a design competition.

That clears a lot up, I wasn't ever really sure whether there were plans for one or not. What would you say would be the best method to push the need for this? Obviously there will be some economic benefit by literally bridging a large gap between areas that seem quite a ways apart and bringing more pedestrians to them, but is that enough? What other practical benefits are there? Should we push this on the same idea as the riverwalk and/or suggest that it will increase the tourist allure of the city? That practicality isn't the only factor in a city like this?

That clears a lot up, I wasn't ever really sure whether there were plans for one or not. What would you say would be the best method to push the need for this? Obviously there will be some economic benefit by literally bridging a large gap between areas that seem quite a ways apart and bringing more pedestrians to them, but is that enough? What other practical benefits are there? Should we push this on the same idea as the riverwalk and/or suggest that it will increase the tourist allure of the city? That practicality isn't the only factor in a city like this?

I think a bridge would have enormous economic and practical benefits. With Dynamo House, its restaurant, hotel, offices, and the state museum coming online in the near future, as well as all of the other post-195 developments, there will be a great deal more pedestrian traffic in that area. A bridge would also funnel folks along the 'new' riverwalk on the west side of the river, which the city spent so much to build, but is not particularly well used. Also the IWay bridge, while great, will not have a big connection to the city, b/c the hurricane barrier separates downtown from the bridge. A new pedestrian bridge, while serving as a landmark for the city, would also interact well with downtown.

We first need to convince RIDOT to build the pedestrian bridge; they have not committed to building the bridge. Once we have convinced them that the bridge needs to be built, let's get them to do a design competition.

Should we start writing letters?

A bridge would also funnel folks along the 'new' riverwalk on the west side of the river, which the city spent so much to build, but is not particularly well used.

The West Bank Riverwalk (or Dyer Street Landing as I've taken to calling it) is surprisingly well used. Especially considering that there is little but surface parking in proximity to the southern end of it. Lots of Downcity/near East Side office workers eat lunch there (including myself) an lots of people power walking during their lunch breaks. The over flowing trash cans are also an idication of heavy use. Notably, when I had lunch there on Monday, the trash cans had recently been emptied and the grass was freshly mowed.

Archived