New upscale retail at Green Hills Mall

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Let's hope Billy Reid, Crate and Barrell and I'd like to see a GANT store.

Anne Klein New York is opening in early September. Apparently this is a new concept featuring accessories and shoes. I visited the website and this store only has eight locations that I presume are all opening around the same time. Oddly enough there isn't one opening in Atlanta? I suppose women in Nashville shop hard for AK? But there is one opening @ GHM's sister Plaza Frontenac in SLT. Perhaps Davis Street has some pull?

Anne Klein New York is opening in early September. Apparently this is a new concept featuring accessories and shoes. I visited the website and this store only has eight locations that I presume are all opening around the same time. Oddly enough there isn't one opening in Atlanta? I suppose women in Nashville shop hard for AK? But there is one opening @ GHM's sister Plaza Frontenac in SLT. Perhaps Davis Street has some pull?

Atlanta and Dallas both already have two AK locations. Nashville will be the first in the south to have a "stand alone" location.

Atlanta and Dallas both already have two AK locations. Nashville will be the first in the south to have a "stand alone" location.

I assuming that you're talking about the current AK locations in ATL that are within a department store? e.g. Macy's & Parisian (or dare I say Belk, LOL)?

I assuming that you're talking about the current AK locations in ATL that are within a department store? e.g. Macy's & Parisian (or dare I say Belk, LOL)?

I am merely relaying the information that was obtained off the AK website. You seemed "surprised" that there was no opening locations in Atlanta. There are already two locations although...as I said in my initial post....they are not a "stand alone" store. That would make three stores and I don't see AK opening that many stores. They don't even have that many in NYC. Regardless of where they are located, AK recognizes two locations in Atlanta.

I went to Green Hills Mall today and the Macy's signs have been uncovered. Have all the other area Hect's been converted?

Guys...we had a Macy's in Birmingham for years....it is nothing to write home about. It was a replication of Rich's...a store that was in the "ham" for years. You really don't get a change in merchandise until you get a Fifth Avenue...or to some degree...a Nordstroms.

It is really a shame....they are all basically the same stores with different names. The federated department stores have basically the same merchandise...advertising...and sales. Here is a list of the federated department stores.......

Macy's

Bloomingdales

Rich's

Famous-Barr

Filene's

Foley's

Hecht's Kaufmann's

L.S. Ayres

Marshall Field's

Meier & Frank Robinsons-May

Strawbridge's

The Jones Store

Guys...we had a Macy's in Birmingham for years....it is nothing to write home about. It was a replication of Rich's...a store that was in the "ham" for years. You really don't get a change in merchandise until you get a Fifth Avenue...or to some degree...a Nordstroms.

It is really a shame....they are all basically the same stores with different names. The federated department stores have basically the same merchandise...advertising...and sales. Here is a list of the federated department stores.......

Macy's

Bloomingdales

Rich's

Famous-Barr

Filene's

Foley's

Hecht's Kaufmann's

L.S. Ayres

Marshall Field's

Meier & Frank Robinsons-May

Strawbridge's

The Jones Store

I wonder what took so long, considering Nashville is a bigger city than Birmingham.

tiger, I might be making the wrong assumption, but 100 Oaks (the dead mall) has had a "Saks 5th Avenue" for several years. I must say that it is not that impressive. I have been to 5th in NYC to many times to recall, and this Saks makes a terrible example of it. It's not something to gloat about.

Once again, I am not a shopping afficianato, so if "Saks" and "5th Avenue" are two seperate entities, I might be terribly wrong.

tiger, I might be making the wrong assumption, but 100 Oaks (the dead mall) has had a "Saks 5th Avenue" for several years. I must say that it is not that impressive. I have been to 5th in NYC to many times to recall, and this Saks makes a terrible example of it. It's not something to gloat about.

Once again, I am not a shopping afficianato, so if "Saks" and "5th Avenue" are two seperate entities, I might be terribly wrong.

I thought 100 Oaks had an Off 5th which was the "outlet" prototype for Saks. There's still one at Opry Mills.

Well, I just made my first trip to Tiffany at Green Hills. Then it was on to Louis Vitton. Being the budget conscious soul that I am, I was pretty amazed at watching lady at Tiffany's buy a $72,000 ring and a woman (a gorgeous one at that) drop $3700 on a purse/bag thing at LV. I was also amazed at getting a chuckle from the Tiffany's salesperson when I put on my sunglasses to look at the 7-carat $300,000 diamond solitaire. It didn't go with my outfit, so I passed on that one. All in all, it's fun to be poor at Tiffany's. Long live Overstock. :)

At that point I figured it was time for Williams-Sonoma for a taste of the free food.

That is not a Saks 5th Avenue...It is an OFF 5TH AVENUE...That is an outlet store for Saks

I wonder what took so long, considering Nashville is a bigger city than Birmingham.

Nashville is consolidated with Davidson County. If Birmingham and Jefferson County were consolidated....Birmingham would be larger. The metro areas are about the same. Atlanta is only 130 miles to the east of Birmingham and I think that is a factor on the difference in retailers. As far as Saks is concerned...it was based in Birmingham for about 10 years...due to selling and buy outs...they have moved back to NYC.

Tiffany...hum....at one time...back in the 1960's...Tiffany was owned by Nashville based GENSCO...so at one time....Tiffany was technically based out of Nashville...

"The company moved in 1940 to its present Fifth Avenue location, which was showcased in Truman Capote's 1958 novella "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (the story became an Audrey Hepburn movie in 1961). To keep Bulova Watch Co., which owned a 30% stake, from controlling Tiffany, in 1955 the Tiffany heirs sold their share of the company to Hoving Corp., which owned retailer Bonwit Teller. Walter Hoving, Tiffany's new chairman and CEO, and other investors bought the chain from Hoving's parent, Genesco, and Bulova in 1961. The company opened its first store outside of New York City, in San Francisco, two years later, and it added locations in Beverly Hills, California, and Houston in 1964."

GENESCO

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...t=&id=&

Macy's was affiliated with Rich's wasn't it? Or it still is? I was under the impression that federated simply bought out Rich's before they bought out Hecht's and other chains. I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the city in this case. I could be wrong though.

Macy's has operated in Atlanta for decades, but it used the Davison's name until the 1980s.

It wasn't until the Federated acquision of Rich's in the earlly 90s that Macy's and Rich's became affiliated (I guess that's the right word). As most longtime Atlantans know, Macy's gradually emerged as the sole survivor in locations where Macy's and Rich's used to coexist. The Macy's at Perimeter actually became a Bloomingdales, Federated's upscale badge. I'm not sure about the multiple locations at Lenox, Cumberland, and Northlake.

Macy's has operated in Atlanta for decades, but it used the Davison's name until the 1980s.

It wasn't until the Federated acquision of Rich's in the earlly 90s that Macy's and Rich's became affiliated (I guess that's the right word). As most longtime Atlantans know, Macy's gradually emerged as the sole survivor in locations where Macy's and Rich's used to coexist. The Macy's at Perimeter actually became a Bloomingdales, Federated's upscale badge. I'm not sure about the multiple locations at Lenox, Cumberland, and Northlake.

That sounds accurate...although I was referring to Birmingham. That is probably a similar situation though. Thanks for the info.

Nashville is consolidated with Davidson County. If Birmingham and Jefferson County were consolidated....Birmingham would be larger.

Not quite, unless all of the existing incorporated towns in Jefferson County were dissolved. If B'ham merged with unincorporated Jefferson County, the current population would be only around 360,000 (about 200,000 fewer than Nashville has now).

The current Bloomingdale's location at Lenox Square opened as Davison's in 1959; the Perimeter Mall location opened as Davison's in 1982. With the exception of the Northlake Mall location and Arbor Place Mall in Douglasville, all current Macy's stores in metro Atlanta were originally Rich's. The Northlake Mall location was originally Davison's. All Davison's stores were renamed Macy's around early 1986. The Arbor Place Mall location opened during the crossover stage as Rich's-Macy's in late 2004.

As for the Birmingham area, Rich's had stores at Brookwood Village, Century Plaza, and Riverchase Galleria (the Century Plaza store closed in 2004). Macy's opened at the Riverchase Galleria in the current Belk location (previously Proffitt's) in March 1987 and closed in 2002. All Macy's stores in metro Atlanta located in malls that also had Rich's closed in 2003 when the Rich's and Macy's stores were merged; the Lenox Square and Perimeter Mall locations were renovated extensively and reopened as Bloomingdale's in the fall of 2003.

Federated Department Stores bought R.H. Macy & Company out of bankruptcy in 1994.

Archived