Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voyager12

Joe running again

53 posts in this topic

Just saw the blurb on P&C's site. The full story will be posted tomorrow. I lived in Charleston for years and admire Joe Riley for what he has done for the city. Hard to imagine Charleston being the great worldclass success it has become without him. But don't you think it might be a time for a change since he's been in office since 1975 :shok:

I am confident he will win. Always does. He has the town locked up. Have to admire that.

WHOA,, I had started to accept that he really was going to retire.

I regard Riley as the best public officeholder that SC has serving in any capacity. There is no way I could not support him. He may get a decent opponent this time though. I'm sure some ambitionous person is tired of waiting.

GO RILEY !!

Joe has a great vision for his city. That is so crucial for a Mayor and lacking from many in this region.I don't always agree with him but you always know he is acting with Charleston in mind and not going with the political breeze and thats hard to replicate.

Joe has a great vision for his city. That is so crucial for a Mayor and lacking from many in this region.I don't always agree with him but you always know he is acting with Charleston in mind and not going with the political breeze and thats hard to replicate.

Very well put. I agree. He isn't afraid to take a controversial stand or do whatever it takes to accomplish something that he feels is important. Many elected officials don't have that characteristic.

Exactly. You should hear Riley speak if you ever get the chance. I wish I could move to Charleston so I could vote for him. I assume its this coming election?

You have to admire Joe FOR being mayor this long. I'm sure the mayor of Charleston doesn't make alot of money so he has really sacrificed alot, personally, in order to help the city he loves.

I dont know about that. I think Charleston has a strong mayor setup, so he may be paid more than those on the mayor-council system

he is the highest paid mayor in the country

I would think that Mayor Bloomberg in New York would be the highest payed mayor.

I would think that Mayor Bloomberg in New York would be the highest payed mayor.

You may be right, I've long heard that around local media but I cant find that now ... :wacko:

Bloomberg was a multi-billionaire way before he became Mayor. He should just donate his salary to charity. I am fairly certain that Riley has another job or company that supports him.

Bloomberg was a multi-billionaire way before he became Mayor. He should just donate his salary to charity. I am fairly certain that Riley has another job or company that supports him.

I was wondering who the highest-paid mayor is, so I looked it up. Bloomberg would be the highest paid, but he only pays himself $1 a year, owing to his humongous private fortune. Detroit's mayor is second at $176,000, and L.A.'s mayor makes around $160,000. By contrast, the mayor of Dallas only makes $60,000. I couldn't find Mayor Riley's salary. Probably in the low six-figures?

Interesting stff lsg^

Riley could be the highest paid in South Carolina easily.

Exactly. You should hear Riley speak if you ever get the chance. I wish I could move to Charleston so I could vote for him. I assume its this coming election?

He is an incredible speaker. When you hear him speak, you instantly recognize him as having both an great intellect and vision.

He does not have another job, he is the full-time mayor. As the only city in SC (other than Marion - population 7,000) that has a strong-mayor, he serves the role of mayor AND city manager. As such, I'm sure he is the highest paid (in SC), as he should be. I would expect his pay is around 125,000 or something kinda close to that.

Well considering the new chief of police is starting in the 120s i would assume that Mayor Riley could easily be above 150000

Another interesting note he was one of 7 North American mayors nominated for World Mayor of the Year 2005. And I did read quite awhile back that he was one of the highest paid mayors in the country.

Thats interesting. I lived in Charleston seven years and thought he had a sideline. Funny, here in Charlotte the biggest metro in the Carolinas and our Mayor is only part time.

Riley may well be part time. I have just never heard of him involved with any other sort of employment :)

Riley may well be part time. I have just never heard of him involved with any other sort of employment :)

There is a Joseph P. Riley real estate office on Broad Street, presumably started by his father. I'm not sure if the mayor is involved with it now or not. An old local I once talked to grumbled that the mayor is allowing all this overbuilding in Charleston because his business is in real estate. But I doubt the mayor's making any money off all these deals going down. If he were, you'd think it would be front page news.

Riley is not part time, he is a full-time strong mayor. If I'm not mistaken, his salary is around $160K.

Interesting that Charlotte has a part-time mayor. I think once a city reaches the size of Charleston, especially with as much going on as Charleston does, the mayor's position should be full-time.

And Riley is indeed an excellent speaker. He spoke at Winthrop's spring commencement excercises last year, and you can tell the man has a passion not only for Charleston, but for South Carolina as well. He should run for governor if you ask me.

And I was surprised to not see Richard Daley on the "highest paid mayors" list. There's too much money in Chicago for him not to be.

I found his salary minus benefits and such on the charleston budget>mayors office>elected officials section at a little more than 117,000... less than i thought

I know Riley's wife is a real estate broker. I assume she is the broker in charge for the Joseph Riley R.E. office.