Joe running again

voyager12

Just saw the blurb on P&C's site. The full story will be posted tomorrow. I lived in Charleston for years and admire Joe Riley for what he has done for the city. Hard to imagine Charleston being the great worldclass success it has become without him. But don't you think it might be a time for a change since he's been in office since 1975 :shok:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHOA,, I had started to accept that he really was going to retire.

I regard Riley as the best public officeholder that SC has serving in any capacity. There is no way I could not support him. He may get a decent opponent this time though. I'm sure some ambitionous person is tired of waiting.

GO RILEY !!

Joe has a great vision for his city. That is so crucial for a Mayor and lacking from many in this region.I don't always agree with him but you always know he is acting with Charleston in mind and not going with the political breeze and thats hard to replicate.

Joe has a great vision for his city. That is so crucial for a Mayor and lacking from many in this region.I don't always agree with him but you always know he is acting with Charleston in mind and not going with the political breeze and thats hard to replicate.

Very well put. I agree. He isn't afraid to take a controversial stand or do whatever it takes to accomplish something that he feels is important. Many elected officials don't have that characteristic.

Bloomberg was a multi-billionaire way before he became Mayor. He should just donate his salary to charity. I am fairly certain that Riley has another job or company that supports him.

I was wondering who the highest-paid mayor is, so I looked it up. Bloomberg would be the highest paid, but he only pays himself $1 a year, owing to his humongous private fortune. Detroit's mayor is second at $176,000, and L.A.'s mayor makes around $160,000. By contrast, the mayor of Dallas only makes $60,000. I couldn't find Mayor Riley's salary. Probably in the low six-figures?

Exactly. You should hear Riley speak if you ever get the chance. I wish I could move to Charleston so I could vote for him. I assume its this coming election?

He is an incredible speaker. When you hear him speak, you instantly recognize him as having both an great intellect and vision.

He does not have another job, he is the full-time mayor. As the only city in SC (other than Marion - population 7,000) that has a strong-mayor, he serves the role of mayor AND city manager. As such, I'm sure he is the highest paid (in SC), as he should be. I would expect his pay is around 125,000 or something kinda close to that.

Riley may well be part time. I have just never heard of him involved with any other sort of employment :)

There is a Joseph P. Riley real estate office on Broad Street, presumably started by his father. I'm not sure if the mayor is involved with it now or not. An old local I once talked to grumbled that the mayor is allowing all this overbuilding in Charleston because his business is in real estate. But I doubt the mayor's making any money off all these deals going down. If he were, you'd think it would be front page news.

Interesting that Charlotte has a part-time mayor. I think once a city reaches the size of Charleston, especially with as much going on as Charleston does, the mayor's position should be full-time.

And Riley is indeed an excellent speaker. He spoke at Winthrop's spring commencement excercises last year, and you can tell the man has a passion not only for Charleston, but for South Carolina as well. He should run for governor if you ask me.

And I was surprised to not see Richard Daley on the "highest paid mayors" list. There's too much money in Chicago for him not to be.

Archived