Joe running again

voyager12

Interesting that Charlotte has a part-time mayor. I think once a city reaches the size of Charleston, especially with as much going on as Charleston does, the mayor's position should be full-time.

And Riley is indeed an excellent speaker. He spoke at Winthrop's spring commencement excercises last year, and you can tell the man has a passion not only for Charleston, but for South Carolina as well. He should run for governor if you ask me.

And I was surprised to not see Richard Daley on the "highest paid mayors" list. There's too much money in Chicago for him not to be.

He did run a while back, and he didn't do too well. It's hard for a democrat to get elected to governor in this State.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did run a while back, and he didn't do too well. It's hard for a democrat to get elected to governor in this State.

I assume you are referring to Riley, not Daley, but he came within 1,500 votes of winning the Dem nomination against Lt. Gov. Nick Theodore. He would have won easily if his campaign had not been hampered by his effort to prevent the Naval base closing. Theodore lost to David Beasley by a very small margin. If it had been Riley vs. Beasley, Riley would have won IMO, probably rather easily.

I hope that he will run again, but it is not likely, given his age.

So, Charleston's mayor is a full time position? This really surprises me. I guess I never really thought any city the size of Greenville would need a full time mayor. Mayor White in Greenville is part time and works in a law firm. I think his mayor salary is around 20,000 with the benefit of a new car each term. Apparently being mayor in Charleston is worth it. :lol:

So, Charleston's mayor is a full time position? This really surprises me. I guess I never really thought any city the size of Greenville would need a full time mayor. Mayor White in Greenville is part time and works in a law firm. I think his mayor salary is around 20,000 with the benefit of a new car each term. Apparently being mayor in Charleston is worth it. :lol:

Charleston operates under a "Strong Mayor" form of government, as opposed to the Council-Manager form of Government that Greenville, Columbia and most southern cities do. As such, Riley performs all the duties that would be done by a Mayor as well as those normally performed by the City Manager. Thus the difference in salary and part-time/full-time status.

Only Marion and Charleston have that the Strong-mayor form of government in SC

Charleston operates under a "Strong Mayor" form of government, as opposed to the Council-Manager form of Government that Greenville, Columbia and most southern cities do. As such, Riley performs all the duties that would be done by a Mayor as well as those normally performed by the City Manager. Thus the difference in salary and part-time/full-time status.

Only Marion and Charleston have that the Strong-mayor form of government in SC

Thanks for explaining. I wonder what the benefits of each system are and why one city would choose it for itself...

There's a push to get Columbia to go to the strong-mayor form of government. I think the major difference is that in the strong-mayor system, the mayor is top dog and is accountable for all major decisions made, whereas in the council-manager system, the mayor is considered part of city council and thus only has one vote.

In terms of the "City" - Charleston is much larger than Greenville in terms of both population and land area.

I think Charleston is VERY fortunate to have a mayor that cares so much about the city, the people, and doing common sense things without getting bogged down into bureaucracy. He's definitely controversial to some, but I think the over all benefits to Charleston are worth it. Its evidence that a strong mayor system has many advantages.

But the mayors of Greenville and Spartanburg area very similar in that they act more as part time "heads of state" (for lack of a better term) than some one who actually runs the city. There are definitely advantages to all methods, its just an issue of where the balance of power should lie.... because for every great mayor like Joe Riley you can easily get a corrupt mayor like so many of the big cities (NYC, Chicago, etc) have had at one point.

In terms of the "City" - Charleston is much larger than Greenville in terms of both population and land area.

I'm aware. No matter how many people live in the city limits though, the mayor is making decisions that impact a lot more people than those that vote for them. I don't have the numbers, but Greenville has what, one of the highest population change for daytime population in the state? The 'greater' areas of the cities are similar in size.

If people who don't live in the city limits of Charleston or any other city for that matter, feel that the mayor is making decisions that impact them, especially in a negative manner, than they should petition for annexation or move so that they can have a voice in the city government. It's unrealistic for a city mayor to be too concerned about surburbia and the commuters they send into the central city every work day. Their main concern and responsibility is to their constituents, i.e. city dwellers.

If people who don't live in the city limits of Charleston or any other city for that matter, feel that the mayor is making decisions that impact them, especially in a negative manner, than they should petition for annexation or move so that they can have a voice in the city government. It's unrealistic for a city mayor to be too concerned about surburbia and the commuters they send into the central city every work day. Their main concern and responsibility is to their constituents, i.e. city dwellers.

It's not about being concerned with suburbia. You can't ignore those people who use the city, but don't live in it. What about roads? Do you take out the cars driven by people outside of your municipality out of traffic counts? No, you take everyone into consideration. This is where hospitality taxes can come into play. To be a mayor is more than representing and satisfying just those in your city. You do have to look at the greater picture. No, they're not going to be re-electing you, but to alienate their desires would kill ventures the city takes part in. They'll find elsewhere to go and spend their money and time.

I pretty much agree with GvilleSC, but those disgruntled residents of suburban towns and unincorporated areas will still continue to utilize the central city; gas is too high and one's job too important to essentially give the mayor the finger by boycotting the city. However, not placing a premium on regional concerns while serving one's municipal constituents is pretty short-sighted and could significantly hamper regional cooperation efforts, which are very important in this day and age, especially in a region that has as much growth and quality of life concerns as the Charleston region.

I pretty much agree with GvilleSC, but those disgruntled residents of suburban towns and unincorporated areas will still continue to utilize the central city; gas is too high and one's job too important to essentially give the mayor the finger by boycotting the city. However, not placing a premium on regional concerns while serving one's municipal constituents is pretty short-sighted and could significantly hamper regional cooperation efforts, which are very important in this day and age, especially in a region that has as much growth and quality of life concerns as the Charleston region.

I think one mayor in this area has a problem with that (.. North Charleston's maybe..??).. most of the other mayors seem to want to cooperate w/o having to force lawsuits (ie. Watson Hill, Goose Creek vs. N. Chas... probably more)..

I'm aware. No matter how many people live in the city limits though, the mayor is making decisions that impact a lot more people than those that vote for them. I don't have the numbers, but Greenville has what, one of the highest population change for daytime population in the state? The 'greater' areas of the cities are similar in size.

True, but then most of the people who work in Greenville City don't live in it (or aren't able to) due to is small area. But thats not even the point. Charleston is the only progressive area in this state in regards to planning. I agree that the mayor makes decisions as the leader of the region. I wouldn't be suprised to see Charleston move to form-based codes at some point in the future (in some areas of the city anyway). The rest of the cities in this state should really learn a thing or two from Charleston and start thinking in terms of a larger city and a region.

I think one mayor in this area has a problem with that (.. North Charleston's maybe..??).. most of the other mayors seem to want to cooperate w/o having to force lawsuits (ie. Watson Hill, Goose Creek vs. N. Chas... probably more)..

Yeah, Keith Summey is something else. However, having the mayor of the principal city in a region not give heed to regional concerns sets a really bad precedent for the entire region. It's good that Charleston has really strong leadership in this regard.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe is one of the best mayors in the country imho. He's won many awards from groups like the ULI and the National Mayors Convention. You can also tell a huge difference in his leadership compared to other mayors by looking at how he lead Charleston to full recovery and beyond after Hurricane Hugo hit in 1989 and then watch the absolutely pathetic job Ray Nagin has done in N.O. after Hurricane Katrina. Riley not only is a visionary, but he is a great leader. I'd love to get the chance to meet him someday, he's one of the top 10 people I have on this list.

Yeah, Keith Summey is something else. However, having the mayor of the principal city in a region not give heed to regional concerns sets a really bad precedent for the entire region. It's good that Charleston has really strong leadership in this regard.

Knight and krazee, you guys have expressed my sentiments about Mayor Summey. I'm only thankful that Mayor Riley has been strong enough to counter the greed of the north city mayor. However, since you have two mayors in two of the primary cities in the region who have conflicting interests, wouldn't it better to consolidate both cities and have an election to decide who will be a better regional leader? ;)

While I would like some new blood to lead Chas, Mayor Riley does have a very strong record as leader of this 300+ year-old city. If only he would support taller buildings in the Neck and Midtown...

Knight and krazee, you guys have expressed my sentiments about Mayor Summey. I'm only thankful that Mayor Riley has been strong enough to counter the greed of the north city mayor. However, since you have two mayors in two of the primary cities in the region who have conflicting interests, wouldn't it better to consolidate both cities and have an election to decide who will be a better regional leader? ;)

While I would like some new blood to lead Chas, Mayor Riley does have a very strong record as leader of this 300+ year-old city. If only he would support taller buildings in the Neck and Midtown...

He probably does support them, but he also knows what that would do to him politically if the preservationist get mad or if one of the advocacy groups deems it as ruining traffic and the environment.. If only these groups did not have as many followers, we might be able to move pass this wall...

He probably does support them, but he also knows what that would do to him politically if the preservationist get mad or if one of the advocacy groups deems it as ruining traffic and the environment.. If only these groups did not have as many followers, we might be able to move pass this wall...

Very good point, but I was thinking that the preservationist lobby is not as a powerful force on Riley. While they do indeed carry much vocal and political weight, I thought that he might be able to ignore them if they started beotching about tall buildings in Magnolia, with the new bridge being complete and with the area being located away from historic downtown. He just seems to have such a following (or political capital, if you will), I thought he might just surprise some people.

Very good point, but I was thinking that the preservationist lobby is not as a powerful force on Riley. While they do indeed carry much vocal and political weight, I thought that he might be able to ignore them if they started beotching about tall buildings in Magnolia, with the new bridge being complete and with the area being located away from historic downtown. He just seems to have such a following (or political capital, if you will), I thought he might just surprise some people.

He just might (suprise people) when he decides to retire and wouldnt have to worry about reelection.. By then there will probably be someone similar to take his place (stavrinakis).

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived