Baltimore's Projects

State Center

Much like the DC project of reuse, it is happening in Baltimore, but with a little different look. They are resurfacing some of the buildings and then building new ones around it.

State Center in Baltimore

$1.6B State Center facelift will add retail, residences

All told, the project is expected to result in eight new buildings and 6 million square feet of new construction: 1.5 million square feet of residential space, 250,000 square feet of retail space, 2 million square feet of office space, 250,000-300,000 square feet of public-use space, and 2 million square feet for parking.

Original Location:

05_07_statecenter.jpg

Rendering:

05_07_rendering.jpg

some news on south baltimore development. One of the buildings listed in the slowdown is back out and the development team is still working.

The Waterview Drive site:

wvwithlogo.jpg

The other good news is that South Baltimore is having a new market built downtown. Here is a blurb from the Baltimore Sun article about grocery stores, and grocery stores that are more than just shopping.

"For a long time Baltimore has been significantly under-retailed and suppliers are beginning to recognize that in larger numbers," Basu said. "That has happened because overall the city's demographics still don't look particularly attractive. Retailers need to understand there are two Baltimores. One Baltimore is affluent, growing in population, growing in prosperity and enjoys a significant level of disposable income. That group has often been hidden in the overall demographics of the city."

Harris Teeter follows Whole Foods, which moved into downtown's upscale Harbor East several years ago. SuperFresh also recently opened a gourmet, urban format store on Charles Street in the Mount Vernon neighborhood.

"It's showing the growth in the city,"

Yeah, I'm originally from NC and worked in Harris-Teeter for a while as a cashier. I loved the smell of ground coffee that fills its aisle! Hopefully we get it by 2011.

I love the renderings, but Boston St. needs to be widened to at least 2 lanes in each direction from the tower down to I-895/95. With the residential component potentially housing DC commuters and the retail component drawing residents of Canton, as well as Fells Point, Patterson Park, Highlandtown, Dundalk, and possibly downtown, that entire stretch will be a big cluster#^@& if corridor upgrades aren't in order.

have a few more renderings for the Canton project. I really like this one a lot. I hope this becomes a reality quick.

plan_thumb.jpg

38847049.jpg

E4F2E6DB-3048-7DFA-D6D16903B0FAEE80.jpg

Yeah, I'm originally from NC and worked in Harris-Teeter for a while as a cashier. I loved the smell of ground coffee that fills its aisle! Hopefully we get it by 2011.

I love the renderings, but Boston St. needs to be widened to at least 2 lanes in each direction from the tower down to I-895/95. With the residential component potentially housing DC commuters and the retail component drawing residents of Canton, as well as Fells Point, Patterson Park, Highlandtown, Dundalk, and possibly downtown, that entire stretch will be a big cluster#^@& if corridor upgrades aren't in order.

Absolutely - mass transit is definitely the preferred option.

I agree that widening the road would be the best thing. I think we are doing to see constant all day traffic at this site. On the other hand I would likr transit to make a better system that goes from Baltimore to DC. The road should still be widened, but I hope the transit project comes through.

I think a more indepth transit throughout the baltimore area, and a commuter rail out towards carroll county out west would be great.

The most important part though has to be connecting DC and Baltimore and connecting them with a few different lines so that it is not just a logjam of traffic and trains on a single track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The new Hilton Baltimore looks as though it would be at home in Volgograd or Omsk. I don't think it's a terribly good addition to the city in terms of architecture. I'm fairly siure it will be successful in terms of filling its rooms.

• 2 months later...

Mechanic Theater

The MEchanic Theater, a mid-sixties brutalist style landmark in downtown Baltimore, has been denied landmark status by the city. This clears the way for most of the theater's interior to be demolished as part of a plan to incorporate most of the exterior in a new high-rise condominium project. I'm not ecstatic with the decision, but this may be the best that could have ben hoped for in this situation.

The Baltimore Sun