Corporate Headquarters in Greenville

RestedTraveler

There was an article in the Greenville News this morning about turnover in Corporate Headquarters located in Greenville and whether, with the recent and pending sale of Greenville-based companies, the Greenville Economic Development Department (and other groups) are doing enough to lure companies to base their operations out of Greenville.

FULL ARTICLE

What do you think? Is the City of Greenville doing enough to lure new Corporate Headquarters or keep existing corporations from departing? Obviously, a huge step was taken to retain South Financial Corp.; however, we are really in a position to gain so much more by attracting other companies. Why haven't we capitalized on this thus far?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article spoke more about the greater Greenville area than the City itself. I think the City has done about all it can do. Having a great downtown and quality of life is key to attracting companies. I think the sale of these companies does not reflect poorly on Greenville at all. Its just business.

I still think that our tie in with Tianjian China is an excellent opportunity to get some foreign investment from China. They have tons of companies!

Hopefully this link between the cities will pay off in the near future. I'm sure the Global Trade Park will help.

Hmmm, maybe Btoy's tower involves a company moving here. He seems pretty certain it will happen. Someone must be planning to occupy it. :shades:

I remember hearing that Oobe was moving their location from Easley, I think, to downtown. And today, I noticed for the first time, their name on a building. I'm sure it's probably been up, but it was my first time taking notice as I drove down North Street. They are a great opportunity for another home grown successful business and headquarters.

Just a thought, but they should open a store on the banks of the Reedy River at Riverplace! We don't really need more resturants. We have what, 80 or so downtown alone?

I remember hearing that Oobe was moving their location from Easley, I think, to downtown. And today, I noticed for the first time, their name on a building. I'm sure it's probably been up, but it was my first time taking notice as I drove down North Street. They are a great opportunity for another home grown successful business and headquarters.

Just a thought, but they should open a store on the banks of the Reedy River at Riverplace! We don't really need more resturants. We have what, 80 or so downtown alone?

It has been up for awhile now. There is also a sign on the side of the building, where the employees park and enter. ;)

Downtown_10.jpg

I would love to see an Oobe store at Riverplace! They make some great quality shirts and other merchandise. I wonder though if the rent down there would be a little steep for them. :unsure:

I would love to see an Oobe store at Riverplace! They make some great quality shirts and other merchandise. I wonder though if the rent down there would be a little steep for them. :unsure:

I know there is an Oobe store in downtown Clemson (the founders met while students there) and I think there used to be an Oobe outlet at the Publix shopping center off Old Buncombe Rd.

Otherwise, I believe their products are not in brick and mortar Oobe stores, but in outdoor outiftters stores across the nation, like Half Moon Outfitters in Greenville.

http://www.oobestore.com/oobe/about_us.htm

GvilleSC, I disagree about Downtown Greenville having enough restaurants. That is one of the best signs that this is a vibrant place. Visitors and newcomers marvel about this fact all the time, and we have a very wide and growing range of options available. I am always excited to hear/see new restaurants open up here. :thumbsup:

GvilleSC, I disagree about Downtown Greenville having enough restaurants. That is one of the best signs that this is a vibrant place. Visitors and newcomers marvel about this fact all the time, and we have a very wide and growing range of options available. I am always excited to hear/see new restaurants open up here. :thumbsup:

Well, I'm not necessarily saying that they should stop opening resturants, but EVERY spot on the ground floor of the office building at riverplace is a resturant. The Hampton Inn will have a resturant. I just think that some retail thrown in there would be nice. And I love the options to eat downtown, but I'd like to see a lot more retail too. If they can open, compete, and stay in business then they should keep coming. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Greenville probably can't compete with Charleston for corporate HQ relocation. Charleston offers the kind of high-end lifestyle that appeals to corporate CEO's and their wives. But I would rather live in G'ville.

There was an article in the Greenville News this morning about turnover in Corporate Headquarters located in Greenville and whether, with the recent and pending sale of Greenville-based companies, the Greenville Economic Development Department (and other groups) are doing enough to lure companies to base their operations out of Greenville.

FULL ARTICLE

What do you think? Is the City of Greenville doing enough to lure new Corporate Headquarters or keep existing corporations from departing? Obviously, a huge step was taken to retain South Financial Corp.; however, we are really in a position to gain so much more by attracting other companies. Why haven't we capitalized on this thus far?

I'd say Greenville definitely has its fair share of high-end lifestyle. In fact, it could be arguably better, depending on the direction of the debate. While the appeal of coastal living often draws corporations, long-term plans and cooler climate can place them in cities with amenities not found along the coast. It really comes down to the decision of individual corporations.

Archived