TRAX (Light Rail) expansion...

jedikermit

The light rail line built for the Olympics has been very successful according to reports, and so the Utah Transit Authority (UTA) has been pushing to expand the line sooner than planned. There are four additions in the immediate works: one out to the airport, one south to the suburb of Draper, and then two East/West corridors--one to West Valley City and one to West/South Jordan. All four were planned to be built between now and 2025--but the success of TRAX has bumped up that schedule. If the vote in November goes the way everyone's thinking it will, those four lines could be up and running by 2010. Which would be a huge expansion for mass transit around these parts. This along with the planned (and under construction) commuter rail line would be the best thing for urban planning that's happened here in years.

More info, maps, and pics here:

http://www.utabus.com/calendarAndNews/midJordanTrax/

http://www.utabus.com/calendarAndNews/westValleyTrax/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad is very anti-light rail...I think a big part of it is that it doesn't pull up outside his house and drop him off. Truthfully, the main line (north-south) is a necessary way to start things, but most people who would ride light rail live either east or west of that corridor, and the east/west routes are the ones with the most congestion. If I were to drive to the closest TRAX station, most of my commute would be the drive, not the ride on the light rail. Which keeps a lot of people like my dad away.

I only live about ten minutes away from the school I teach at, so commuting has become a non-issue for me. But when I worked downtown, I did take TRAX, and loved it.

Archived