Georgia Trivia

ironchapman

This has worked out well in a few other forums, so I'd liek to give it a shot here.

Georgia is a very historic state. No doubt there are plenty of odd facts you can come across about it while reading about it. If you have come across a few, urban related or not, please feel free to post them here.

I'll start, then......

• The highest point in Antarctica, a mountain called Vinson Massif, is named for longtime Georgia Representative Carl Vinson.

• The oldest of all Senate Office Buildings in Washington, DC, the Russell Federal Building, is named for longtime Georgia Senator Richard B. Russell, Jr.

Of course, it can be about anything that you know so long as it relates to Georgia, including: religion, politics, geography, history, famous people, etc.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is illegal to lick a cane toad in Georgia.

I guess that means I've been breaking the law for the past year. :P

On a serious note, John Wesley, an Anglican priest for a parish in Savannah and at the historic Christ Church on St. Simon's Island, founded the Methodist Church. Interestingly enough, Wesley never intended for the Methodist Church to splinter from the Episcopal Church, but instead be a movement within the Church. He regarded schism with the Anglican Church to be heresy.

I guess that means I've been breaking the law for the past year. :P

On a serious note, John Wesley, an Anglican priest for a parish in Savannah and at the historic Christ Church on St. Simon's Island, founded the Methodist Church. Interestingly enough, Wesley never intended for the Methodist Church to splinter from the Episcopal Church, but instead be a movement within the Church. He regarded schism with the Anglican Church to be heresy.

Here's a pic of Christ Church I took a while back:

14054329_72085d0942.jpg

As for some trivia.....

We all know that two Presidents are commonly associated with Georgia: Jimmy Carter, was born, raised, and was governor here before he was President, and FDR, who stayed at the resort in Warm Springs because of his polio. Very few people, however, are aware that there was a third President who lived here: Woodrow Wilson. After being born in Staunton, Virginia in 1856, he moved to Augusta, Georgia and lived there until he was 14. After finishing college at Princeton and studying law at University of Virginia, he moved to Atlanta and practiced law for a couple of years before leaving for a position at Johns Hopkins University.

His boyhood home can be found in Augusta.

^ Great picture of Christ Church Ironchapman. Yeah, I work down the street from Woodrow Wilson's boyhood home. I want to say his dad pastored First Prez downtown. Another president who spent a good bit of time in Georgia was Dwight Eisenhower. He spent so much time down here playing at the Augusta National that he was even given his own cabin and even had a reserved pew at Reid Prez on the Hill.

Archived