Penobscot Building Diagrams

Jasoncw

I'm looking for some diagrams or plans of the Penobscot Building. I'm recreating it for Sim City, but I'm having trouble getting things right so far, and some diagrams would save a ton of time, and would make for better results. I'm mostly looking for ones of the first few floors where most of the ornamentation is.

Thanks. :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No diagrams here, but I saw that the lighting scheme is nolonger red, white, and blue.

Try the Burton Historical Collection. Smithgroup might have something in their archives...I know Albert Kahn still has all of their drawings, but they haven't morphed as much as Smithgroup has over the years.

As I mentioned at ST. Jeremy Prince at SmithGroup would probably be able to help you out on this. Im still looking for his email address. I also still need to get those floorplans scaled for you as well. I know it really doesnt help with the setbacks near the top. But I think by looking at column locations you can tell where a setback occurs. So at this point, all you need is a height diagram. Possibly the drawings at skyscraperpage might be helpful, but they are very small. And Im not 100% sure if they are scaled to where they should be. If we can find an exact height of window, you can use that as a reference to meausre the rest of the building with.

Firefox, apostrophies please! Dont make me go back to IE!

I think the column locations would also tell me how wide and deep parts of the building are. The set backs should be easy, since they mostly line up with where the windows are.

What I did for my progress so far, is I took a picture, and warped it into a 2-d front view. Then I tossed it on a plane with the same proportions, and used it as a diagram.

But yeah, if we knew the exact height of any detail on the building, or in the picture, then a lot more could be figured out.

oh yeah, for anyone who's interested, here's progress on some other Detroit landmarks.

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/7284/bspprogresswz5.jpg

I searched for Jeremy Prince, and found the file that someone has posted somewhere. I didn't have the right something or another, so it didn't load up right, but from the screenshot of it that was also posted, I can tell that it doesn't tell me anything that I don't already know, either from google maps, or emporis.

But yeah, those floor plans would be helpful.

Go to the library and find a book called 125 years of smith hinchman and grylls. Many of the suburn libraries will share books. Livonia Civic Center has this one, so if you put a request in for it, they will deliver it to your friendly neighborhood library for your enjoyment! You'll find a lot of great stuff in there. Early renderings of what the Buhl was supposed to look like, gaurdian building details, floor plans of the penobscot. Definitely a book worthy of any Detroiter's architectural collection, but unfortunately 25 years old, hard to find and when you do, quite expensive.

Archived