Birmingham Retail Development

kayman

I am just pondering as to why there has been location of either upscale retailer trying to open a location in the Birmingham area. I mean we are the first of the medium size markets in the South to get a Saks, why not those 2? I could see either of them opening either at The Summit or Colonial Brookwood Village.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just pondering as to why there has been location of either upscale retailer trying to open a location in the Birmingham area. I mean we are the first of the medium size markets in the South to get a Saks, why not those 2? I could see either of them opening either at The Summit or Colonial Brookwood Village.

Some people think that Saks came in part because the corporate HQ was/is in Birmingham.

That maybe part of the reason, but all I know if a city like Nashville or Charlotte can you know Birmingham can as well. Birmingham has a lot of old money in its region that those 2 don't have.

True but Charlotte is growing faster, has plenty of high-paid investment bankers and has some old money as well. It doesn't have a Saks, but has other high-end stores.

I'd say Richmond is more comparable to Birmingham and in that comparison, Birmingham is "under-retailed" since Richmond has more high-end stores, including Louis Vuitton (although its mall isn't doing as well as it should). Richmond might have them because Washington, DC is close, giving fancy stores easy distribution to neighboring stores and a pre-existing customer base in Richmond.

At least Birmingham has Parisians all over the place. I'd rather have a ton of moderately upscale stores than 1 ultra-upscale one.

Edited by mallguy

True but Charlotte is growing faster, has plenty of high-paid investment bankers and has some old money as well. It doesn't have a Saks, but has other high-end stores.

I'd say Richmond is more comparable to Birmingham and in that comparison, Birmingham is "under-retailed" since Richmond has more high-end stores, including Louis Vuitton (although its mall isn't doing as well as it should). Richmond might have them because Washington, DC is close, giving fancy stores easy distribution to neighboring stores and a pre-existing customer base in Richmond.

At least Birmingham has Parisians all over the place. I'd rather have a ton of moderately upscale stores than 1 ultra-upscale one.

Well I am just wondering because for years major retailers like Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus, and Lord & Taylor (when they were still expanding) was scouting for a Birmingham area location. When The Summit was still under development phase, it had major retailers like L&T, Nordstrom, N-M, Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton were fighting to get a spot in the center. The location of The Summit is a well-known prized piece of real estate, because its location and proximity to Shelby County. It was so well known that those retailers were looking to get into the center that it was reported in The Birmingham News a couple of years back. But Bayer Properties turned all of them down and went with Parisian, Saks, Bromberg's (an upscale locally-owned jeweler), and the other current retailers. I am just wondering because for starters The Summit has one of the highest gross profit per square footage of any retailer center in the South, and secondly because if those retailers were looking at the market once why not go on and open a store here already.

Edited by Leonard23

Sounds unfortunate- at least L&T didn't go into markets it was about to (e.g., Richmond), but I'm not sure about the others. One reason might be that retailers often like to go into areas where they already have stores nearby; I'm pretty sure that Greenville, SC got some nicer stores it wouldn't ordinarily have simply because those stores already had branches in Atlanta and Charlotte and so it was easy to distribute products to those stores, and people in Greenville who just drove to Atlanta to shop were already customers of those stores. Birmingham isn't too far from Atlanta but there aren't any other Birmingham-sized cities nearby that could also have high-end stores in it. However, retailers would surely have considered this before beginning to investigate the market. Not sure why, but still, Birmingham has Saks, Parisian, Z Gallerie, etc.- the last two are more my types of stores than Louis Vuitton anyhow.

Edited by mallguy

Louis Vuitton has a store within the Saks store at The Summit. I believe the LV space in the Saks store is space that the company subleases from Saks. LV used to sell its merchandise at the "old" Macy's store (current Belk store location) at the Riverchase Galleria before the Saks store opened and before that Macy's store closed.

However, the LV at Saks Birmingham is not a full-line store like the store at Lenox Square in Atlanta, which sells shoes, luggage, watches, and some mens and womenswear. I guess the Birmingham market would have to expand more for the company to justify a larger store space with a greater variety of LV products.

Edited by Southpaw

With Parisian vanishing, maybe a new upscale department store chain could come to Birmingham? Some Nordstroms (e.g., Durham, NC) don't seem much more upscale than a good Parisian.

I still have doubts that Parisian brandname is going to vanish. I have a feeling that those 2 private bidders (former CEOs of Parisian and Proffitt's) are going to get the chain and preserve the name.

I still have doubts that Parisian brandname is going to vanish. I have a feeling that those 2 private bidders (former CEOs of Parisian and Proffitt's) are going to get the chain and preserve the name.

I sure hope so. Parisian is such a wonderful chain and I am distraught about it vanishing, particularly to Belk's; Belk's has definitely become a nicer chain over the past few years but those childhood memories of being dragged along the parquet floors at the beige-brick McAlister Square one have left some ill will!

what would you say is the most upscale mall in Birmingham; also- what is an emerging upscale area in metro Birmingham

It is a close tie between Colonial Brookwood Village and The Summit due to their proximity to Mountain Brook (the 5th wealthiest city in the country)

Edited by Leonard23

Article from The Birmingham News

The article discusses the possibility of the market gaining Dillard's and the remote possibilities of future locations of Nordstrom and Neiman-Marcus locating in the market as well. Dillard's would most likely enter this market with at least 3 locations. Nordstrom has mentioned a Birmingham location on and off for the last 8 years, but has yet to made a commitment to opening a Birmingham area store.

• 2 weeks later...

Burlington Coat Factory to anchor ground level of the former Parisian, Western Hills Mall

Article from The Birmingham News

Burlington Coat Factory is coinside with the opening of the Wal-Mart Supercenter at Western Hills Mall in the Spring 2007. It will the 3 area location (aside from the 2 in Hoover and Eastwood). It will have a Baby Depot department also. :blush:

• 1 year later...

No, I haven't heard nor since a site plan for this proposed Target. If it really going to happen, they will have to have their site plan approved by the County and have their address number assigned by Land Development.

hopefully there will be more to it than the one in Fultondale! it shoulda been a super target

hopefully there will be more to it than the one in Fultondale! it shoulda been a super target

Sorry, it is doubtful in other besides the 3 locations (North Shelby, Trussville, and Tuscaloosa) will be Super Target in this region. The only other location that may and keyword become a Super Target is the proposed location @ Colonial Brookwood Village on the site of the former Brookwood Convenience Center. The traditional layout with groceries are as close as the newest locations are going to get from now on.

• 1 year later...

Encouraging news on some area shopping centers to open even with the upsetting economy:

• The Grove, a SuperTarget-anchored center in Hoover at AL 150 and I-459, should be complete this fall. The center has commitments or is in negotiations with Lowe's, Kohl's, Best Buy, Books-A-Million, Hibbett Sports, Petco, Dress Barn, Maurice's, Shoe Carnival, Dots and Fontera Mexican Grill. Smaller portions of the center and stand-alone sites are slated to have Compass Bank, Superior Bank, Chick-fil-A, McDonald's, Burger King, Beef O'Brady's, Mattress Firm, Diamond Nails, Massage Envy and a salon.
  • The final phase of The Summit will include 50,000 sq ft of retail space along with 50,000 sq ft of office space when it is complete in late summer or early fall.
  • A center with three restaurants and a separate strip center are being built with stand-alone locations of a CVS Pharmacy, Legacy Credit Union and Alabama Telco Credit Union at the Chace Lake community on US 31 in Hoover.
  • Nordstrom is still targeted for a spring 2012 opening.

More info here: Store bankruptcies, closings may wreak havoc in economy

I am excited, especially about Nordstroms not changing their date, and The Summit still pressing forward on it's new expansion. I guess the money-makers are still going to be doing (upscale) luxury shopping in the area. Now I just wonder what's coming to The Summit.