Fur is Fur

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*whistles*

*drops some catnip on the floor and slowly walks away*

Huh. Mine come running when called. With my first cat (1969-1990, yes, almost 21 years), she came when I whistled. Transferred that to the older one. I never need to call Blanche; she's usually all over me like a cheap suit.

Huh. Mine come running when called. With my first cat (1969-1990, yes, almost 21 years), she came when I whistled. Transferred that to the older one. I never need to call Blanche; she's usually all over me like a cheap suit.

Psssst. Here's a secret: so do mine. They know their names, they are all over any hint of catnip, etc. I think maybe the cat in the note above was accidentally locked in a closet. Hence the whistle. I'm sure that after about 2 minutes of wondering where the heck kitty was, a big cat hunt ensued.

That's the only logical explanation.

I adopted a very sweet kitty from Crash's Landing about 5 years ago. They found her wandering around Eastown during a heatwave, her poor little paw pads were burned from the hot sidewalks. She has a "forever" home with me in Heritage Hill now. She's all white with one blue eye and one green eye. Her name is Marley but I usually call her Miss Kitty (watching too much TV Land the winter after she came home) or my Mom's nickname for her: Fancypants.

I'm just learning to post photos. These are from my cell phone.

CAQ3CLYN.jpg

CAYF6ZYL.jpg

CAJIKVJL.jpg

(hiding under couch - just a nose is showing)

CAKP27C5.jpg

I adopted a very sweet kitty from Crash's Landing about 5 years ago. They found her wandering around Eastown during a heatwave, her poor little paw pads were burned from the hot sidewalks. She has a "forever" home with me in Heritage Hill now. She's all white with one blue eye and one green eye. Her name is Marley but I usually call her Miss Kitty (watching too much TV Land the winter after she came home) or my Mom's nickname for her: Fancypants.

CAKP27C5.jpg

She goes great with your decor!

Doesn't she though! I always tell her she looks very beautiful on the blue couch (but of course she leaves white fur everywhere). I buy those tape roller lint brushes by the case!

I have a black cat and a white cat. Contrasts with every color outfit!

CAQ3CLYN.jpg

CAYF6ZYL.jpg

CAJIKVJL.jpg

(hiding under couch - just a nose is showing)

CAKP27C5.jpg

What a little beauty!

Don't you just love Crash's? That's where I got my two guys. Jennifer is the greatest. Very dedicated. I love it how she has volunteers that come in simply to pet the cats.

Your place looks lovely.

...Don't you just love Crash's? That's where I got my two guys. Jennifer is the greatest. Very dedicated. I love it how she has volunteers that come in simply to pet the cats.

Really?

Where is Crash's and when are they open?

[enjoying riding around new 'hoods and meeting friendly kitties]

Really?

Where is Crash's and when are they open?

[enjoying riding around new 'hoods and meeting friendly kitties]

Well, they really don't have hours purr se. (I don't think they do, anyway.) They don't like to advertise their address b/c people will start dropping cats at their doorstep, and they are often maxed out, spacewise.

BUT... check out www.petfinder.com. Search for cat, put in your zip code, and you will see many Crash's listings of adoptable kitties. There's a link to their web site from petfinder.

Plus I'm sure they are always looking for volunteers to feed, clean, pet the kitties, etc.

They are located on Diamond NE, north of Leonard. I can't remember the address or I would provide it to you.

E-mail them and set up a time to go see the kitties!

They really have a nice set up. Incredible how many cats they have roaming around. And there are two off-limits rooms where they keep kitties that have Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS. (It's a no-kill shelter.)

You'll love Jennifer! She's the vet who started the shelter. A heart of gold. A really, really wonderful human being.

What a little beauty!

Don't you just love Crash's? That's where I got my two guys. Jennifer is the greatest. Very dedicated. I love it how she has volunteers that come in simply to pet the cats.

Your place looks lovely.

Thanks! Miss Kitty sleeps on a stack of extra pillows next to my head every night, purring up a storm. I call her my Princess and the Pea from the old fairy tale.

I've had great fun decorating the place. I lived on the streets and in and out of really crappy apartments for years. After I kicked the booze and got back in my feet, I simply had to go back to Heritage Hill. When I wake up in the morning and look around I'm filled with contentment. I don't take it for granted for a single minute - every day is a blessing.

Jennifer does such an amazing job! If I ever retire, I plan on volunteering to help out with the feeding, cleaning and petting of the cats. I grew up on a farm and used to work in a veterinary clinic - my brother is a veterinary pathologist who finds cures for diseases in animals. Most recently a cure for a type of heart disease in horses.

Wa-a-a-a-y off topic here....

I read every Dick Francis book I can find. (Usually in one sitting/lying.)

I'd never heard of Dick Francis - next time I'm at a bookstore (which is often) I'll check him out. We grew up on the All Creatures Great & Small book and BBC television series. My brother and I each bought a season on DVD and trade back and forth as they are quite expensive but s-o-o-o worth it! If you've never read them, they are some of the funniest, as well as poignant stories I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Has this thread made you start thinking, gee I wish I had a cat in my life? Here's your chance!

At my new home (in Belknap) there's a really great stray. If your decor is blonde wood he would blend right in. Extremely friendly, fun, and playful. Comes when called. Smart, too. (I taught him to not run into the house when the door opens, and how to stand up and beg for a treat.)

Long hair, marvelous dust-buster tail, yellow eyes. He's going to be a big cat. And he has thumbs! That's right--some cats have extra appendages on their feet, and this guy has everything it takes to use a tiny can opener or hold a pencil. I've been calling him "Thumbsie," and he answers to that too.

Crash's says they are full, so if you'd like to check this guy out please PM me. I'll throw in some catnip.

thumbsie-1.jpgthumbsie-2.jpg

thumbsie-3.jpg

Has this thread made you start thinking, gee I wish I had a cat in my life? Here's your chance!

At my new home (in Belknap) there's a really great stray. If your decor is blonde wood he would blend right in. Extremely friendly, fun, and playful. Comes when called. Smart, too. (I taught him to not run into the house when the door opens, and how to stand up and beg for a treat.)

Long hair, marvelous dust-buster tail, yellow eyes. He's going to be a big cat. And he has thumbs! That's right--some cats have extra appendages on their feet, and this guy has everything it takes to use a tiny can opener or hold a pencil. I've been calling him "Thumbsie," and he answers to that too.

Will try to get a nice shot of him tonight (he was spiffing up yesterday and wouldn't pose).

Crash's says they are full, so if you'd like to check this guy out please PM me. I'll throw in some catnip.

Wow! If I didn't have a 2-cat limit, I'd be all over him. If no one takes him in and Crash's is full, try Reuben's Room. They're a no-kill shelter, too.

That said, hide your car keys. If that guy has thumbs...

Wow! If I didn't have a 2-cat limit, I'd be all over him. If no one takes him in and Crash's is full, try Reuben's Room. They're a no-kill shelter, too.

That said, hide your car keys. If that guy has thumbs...

He loooves my car.

And with the whole interior covered in boxes, the only place to sit and read my paper is outdoors on the porch. Guess what! As soon as I sit down he is on my lap, with his face up in mine, just to make sure I know how much he appreciates me.

How do I contact Reuben?

edit: spell/the vision thing

He loooves my car.

And with the whole interior covered in boxes, the only place to sit and read my paper is outdoors on the porch. Guess what! As soon as I sit down he is on my lap, with his face up in mine, just to make sure I know how much he appreciates me.

How do I contact Reuben?

edit: spell/the vision thing

Try this:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI420.html

Archived