flood pics

convulso

really delayed, i know, but here're a few pics of the rillito swell after the big rains last week. this was at the rillito river park in tucson, just south of the intersection between campbell avenue and river road.

post any pics of destruction and mayhem, if you've got 'em.

just a general shot, looking northeast:

rillito_dog.jpg

another, looking northwest:

rillito_bridge.jpg

another to the northwest, but a little closer to the bridge. check how close the water is to the road surface. there are columns under the bridge that the water completely covers - about 12 feet worth, in my estimation:

rillito_bridge_2.jpg

some of the chop. the water overflowed onto the bike path in several places, and over the guard rails in this area:

rillito_rails.jpg

and one out on the bridge, looking straight down into the water. nice, turbulent, sedimented, nasty water....

bridge_down.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Thanks for posting. I can't believe how much water there was. That's way worse than the Santa Cruz got last year.

I sent a picture of it to my friend from Boulder who came here once when I lived on River, and we walked across the Rillito to get to the mall. Quite a dramatic change.

The rain has been pretty nuts this year. I heard on the news this morning that the temp in Tucson has not hit 100 or more since July 25. WTF?

I guess I can't complain though, because it certainly is nice.

'welcome. it really was crazy - people were letting their kids and pets get very close to the water, which was jumping the banks in places and moving very fast. some of the standing waves looked fierce. i've been planning to go back and take an 'after' shot or two just to compare the water level. doesn't help that i'm back in alabama at the moment, though.

i heard that the santa cruz and tanque verde were worse in places than the rillito. i'm still waiting to see some footage of the storm-caused rock slide that closed catalina highway, too.

I'd love to see something like that up here in the Valley. We've had a really dissapointing monsoon. Whereas back where i'm from has had all kinds of severe weather this summer. Boy do I miss Michigan right now.

• 7 months later...

River? A place called The Promontory. Definitely not recommended.

Redondo Tower would actually be a great solution for living Downtown but still being safe. I'm all about breaking that stereotype of how scary it is living in Central Tucson, but I'll also be the first to tell you that a single woman living alone here needs a big dog. You get around that here because of the way the building is structured: it's very difficult to enter if you're not a resident. And being up on the floors means that there's only one way in and out. Not only that but it's quiet, it's cheap, it's ultra-convenient, it's got great management, it's secure and the people are friendly.

The thing in the Star wasn't really a plug piece for the apartment itself, just for Downtown living. My neighbor wanted me to go sit on a couch and talk to this guy but I'm glad I didn't. It read like he didn't put a lot of effort into it.

Not sure about the current waiting list, but I think 1 bedrooms are open now. They were running ads in the Weekly for a while. I'll check for you though.

^ ya don't have to check for us! we're not (quite) too lazy to do the legwork, man. unless it's terribly, terribly easy for you - thanks, though.

yeah, i know the article wasn't a furtive ad - i read it. it was upbeat and, as you said, focused on the appeal of downtown apartment life in general. i just have to mention the story-as-ad angle because my work-conditioned reflexes make me play devil's advocate when fluff stories about businesses happen, and because apparently not everyone realizes that most metro papers have no problem with product placement. in my past reporter's life, i had to deal with a few obvious conflicts of interests when fluff pieces on new businesses - businesses who advertised with the paper - would be assigned (hey! the tobacco store just installed a walk-in humidor! story on front; half-page ad on the jump page!) the subject of this story obviously doesn't need the press (downtown does), and i doubt they're buying significant ad space.

never heard of the promontory (was it built on a site that formerly jutted out into the rillito?) i'll take your word for its being bad. i've heard bad things about a lot of the otherwise 'nice'-looking apartments along the 1st-to-campbell stretch of river - management issues, auto theft, unresponsive maintenance, inscrutable leases, etc.

No, it's River @ Stone. It's an enormous place but it's off River 1/2 block so you won't see it unless you look for it. When I moved there I thought "Oh, I'm so close to the mall" and ended up going to the mall twice while I lived there. River used to be a good street to live on because the traffic wasn't as bad, but it's gotten much worse. I had issues with the neighbors, management, and general security of the place. Plus I was paying almost the same there for a smaller place than at Redondo. I didn't know the town when I first moved here and had really no one to give me advice on where to go. Moral of the story: always sign 6-month leases when you first move in. I couldn't have took another 6 months in that place.

I know the one just north of River on First sucks and the one on Campbell just south of River is nasty (one of those exterior looks great to hide the shame places). Not sure about others. There's a strange one on Oracle just north of River that's actually perched on top of a hill. Looks small and fairly nice, and I've always been curious about it.

wait - you live at redondo? so that's why ya offered to check on availability! i knew you lived downtown, but i thought (based on previous posts from way back that i've probably mangled in my memory) that you lived a little further west of downtown than that. cool! re-reading your post above, i was pretty dense not to spot it.

and yeah - with the growth, i think sunrise is the next river road in terms of increased congestion and property crime. they're resurfacing the roadway up here now, and it seems that new developments keep introducing more pull-outs, especially on the north side beyond la grunta...er, la encantada. at least we have a grocery near where we live, and, as luck would have it, probably the best view in the entire apartment complex up here - i'd miss that if i moved. but that's about it.

Archived