What are your favorite Southern riverfront & waterfront cities?

Rwarky

What Southern riverfront & waterfront cities do you like the most? Tell us what you like about them as well.

My favorite riverfront & waterfront cities are: Richmond, VA and Miami, FL. I love the juxtaposition of downtown Richmond, the interstate, and the James River. And for Miami, I love all of the skyscrapers and highrises by Biscayne Bay.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Southern riverfront & waterfront cities do you like the most? Tell us what you like about them as well.

My favorite riverfront & waterfront cities are: Richmond, VA and Miami, FL. I love the juxtaposition of downtown Richmond, the interstate, and the James River. And for Miami, I love all of the skyscrapers and highrises by Biscayne Bay.

If anyone comes to Richmond, take time to explore and enjoy our James. It's one of the region's greatest assets. Biased or not, it truly is a gem and makes it my favorite southern riverfront.

Just one example: Belle Isle on the James. Primary access is from a pedestrian suspension bridge beneath the Lee Bridge. Once you get there, you're stepping on history: the site of a Civil War POW camp as brutal as Andersonville. But today, it's an incredibly diverse place to explore, exercise, or just chill. You can lay out on the rocks and watch as kayakers and white water rafters battle Class IV rapids just feet away from you. Look across the river, and there's Hollywood Cemetery, a really neat place as cemeteries go filled with some serious VIPs. On the island behind you, rock climbers are tackling old quarry cliffs, dangling above people fishing in a lake below. Cyclists tackle the rough terrain. All this in downtown Richmond.... kinda crazy

If anyone comes to Richmond, take time to explore and enjoy our James. It's one of the region's greatest assets. Biased or not, it truly is a gem and makes it my favorite southern riverfront.

Just one example: Belle Isle on the James. Primary access is from a pedestrian suspension bridge beneath the Lee Bridge. Once you get there, you're stepping on history: the site of a Civil War POW camp as brutal as Andersonville. But today, it's an incredibly diverse place to explore, exercise, or just chill. You can lay out on the rocks and watch as kayakers and white water rafters battle Class IV rapids just feet away from you. Look across the river, and there's Hollywood Cemetery, a really neat place as cemeteries go filled with some serious VIPs. On the island behind you, rock climbers are tackling old quarry cliffs, dangling above people fishing in a lake below. Cyclists tackle the rough terrain. All this in downtown Richmond.... kinda crazy

Indeed, Coupe. The James River Park system is definitely something that makes Richmond unique. Here's a shot of the James rolling on by the skyline. The Belle Isle pedestrian bridge is truly one of my favorite places to capture the skyline and the James.

DSC01384.jpg

Id love to see photos of other cities waterfronts as well. Theres nothing like an urban oasis with some type of natural waterway flowing through it :)

Not biased at all but:

Riverfront: Richmond. Not only can you look at it you can actually get in the water. It is more accessible than any urban riverfront I've ever seen. The water is fresh and full of swimmers, boaters and fishermen. It isn't overly developed into a cutesy tourist area either. Its shoreline is pretty natural, like a river that you would find in the mountains. Plus there is a large rail bridge that runs the length of downtown (in some circles it is reputed to be the longest rail bridge in the world but I don't know where to even start to confirm that) carrying coal trains which provides a beautiful soundtrack when coupled with the sound of rapids.

some dude washing out his shorts at Belle Island

P1010314.jpg

Another shot of Belle Island

Jamesatbelleisland.jpg

The Canal Walk on the riverfront

0canal.jpg

Me at the Canal Walk

menoncanal.jpg

View of the river and how it relates to downtown. Belle Island is under the 4th bridge from the right. The Canal walk starts just to the right of the same bridge and runs the lenght of this photo skirting downtown

downtownrichmond.jpg

Waterfront: Norfolk. The city is beautiful, Portsmouth across the Elizabeth River is beautiful. The harbor is filled with masted sailing ships, cruise ships, battleships, cargo ships and its all so close together. One can stand in a beautiful park and see water taxis, pleasure boats, cargo ships from Portugal, schooners and battleships without moving one's head. Plus there are numerous bridges and tunnels and cranes from the dry-dock and shipyards right downtown which is a wet dream for anyone with a thing for engineering.

These are from a day in March that wasn't so cold... on the James in Richmond:

You can connect some of the pics with my comments above :thumbsup:

Pedestrian Bridge to Belle Isle:

Richmond3-11-2006057.jpg

Who needs a beach when you've got ROCKS

Richmond3-11-2006061.jpg

Richmond3-11-2006062.jpg

Richmond3-11-2006069.jpg

Richmond3-11-2006066.jpg

rapelling anyone?

Richmond3-11-2006065.jpg

Miles and miles of trails like these:

Richmond3-11-2006070.jpg

Richmond3-11-2006068.jpg

i'm really suprised that savannah, ga hasn't shown up on the list. i love everything about this city (well minus the face melting humidity). it's a beautiful place. i do love chattanooga too. the mountains in the background are an awesome backdrop. plus really fun to hike.

Richmond's riverfront looks fantastic! I've never been along the river, but I'll definately have to check that out the next time I'm up there.

I've always liked Little Rock's riverfront, along with Shreveport, Charleston, Galveston, and of course, Miami. Hopefully I'll be naming many other cities once I get a chance to really visit them.

But I have to be a homer and say my favorite riverfront is New Orleans. It's not the prettiest, most unique riverfront out there, but the mystique and quiet calmness of the Mississippi River flowing by has always attracted me to the Riverfront. You can't get in the river,(and even if you could, who in their right mind would?) you really can't get up right next to it most of the time, but it has still always been cool to me. Especially just sitting up on the levee watching the practically never-ending trial of tankers and barges quietly flow by.

Greenville, South Carolina isn't really a river-front city, but the banks of the Reedy River which flows through Downtown Greenville have very recently once again become the true heart of the city.

Here are some images I've taken over the past couple of years:

Just upstream from the upper falls, right before the Liberty Bridge:

66050237_aeaecb8f7f_b.jpg

The upper falls from the other side of the Liberty Bridge:

120026452_b872373778_b.jpg

Frolic on the upper falls:

207628451_8aa6727c78_b.jpg

A photo of some of the riverfront development (RiverPlace) from March 11th of this year:

111041043_814f80fe3c_b.jpg

The Wyche Pavilion at the Peace Center for the Performing Arts:

143784565_f6913eee11_b.jpg

An overhead shot of the Liberty Bridge crossing in front of the upper falls:

73394817_fded5d9bfb_b.jpg

Frolic on the lower falls:

81792547_63cf970802_b.jpg

Upstream frolic:

182145437_7b9941c527_b.jpg

RiverPlace development as seen from inside of the Wyche Pavilion:

166909884_925f84b10e_b.jpg

The Liberty Bridge:

143784559_401a35e9be_b.jpg

RiverPlace (1/3 complete):

166909894_2993724103_b.jpg

166921308_a8c51f22b6_b.jpg

Swamp Rabbit Railroad Pedestrian Bridge:

143784566_3c97399558_b.jpg

Cascading Staircase and Fountains that will become the centerpiece of RiverPlace:

199965744_d45e6f5bcf_b.jpg

Greenville's riverfront looks great as well, I forgot to mention that. Whoever planned and designed the riverfront there, did a fantastic job. What it may lack in size, it makes up for in beauty. :thumbsup: I really hope I'm able to see Greenville in person soon, it looks like an awesome city.

I've got to give Memphis a nod here as well. I forgot that I visited their awesome riverfront back in 2000. After all, it IS on the majestic Mississippi. ;)

Oh yea, I forgot about Memphis as well, definately one of my favorites. And of course being on the on the Mighty Mississippi makes it appeal to me even more. And for that, I'd also say that Vicksburg is one of my favorites, just because I've always enjoyed being high up on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi. :thumbsup:

Archived