What are your favorite Southern riverfront & waterfront cities?

Rwarky

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, you know. It's old and modern....SIMULTANEOUSLY! ;)

My lord. Ok, cities like New York, Philadelphia, and Boston all have really old parts of town, yet they also have modern buildings, it is quite possible. If possible for them, it's possible for Mobile. I'm sorry, I didn't thoroughly explain in my first post, I'll be sure to explain more fully next time so that your simple mind doesn't get confused. :D

My lord. Ok, cities like New York, Philadelphia, and Boston all have really old parts of town, yet they also have modern buildings, it is quite possible.

That describes New Orleans perfectly as well. I would definately say Mobile fits in on that list, though on a smaller scale.

Awesome shots, Brian! Looked like a beautiful night to get out and take pictures.

It was a great night, though a little humid. I did get hassled by one drunk while I was taking photos, but for the most part there were just a bunch of young couples sitting around. It's not exactly serene, since both vehicle and rail traffic are constantly going by, but it's nice nonetheless.

I would have to say New Orleans. Of course, I haven't been to that many riverfront cities so I can't really say anything else.. I've never been to Austin, but I still like it anyways. Thankfully, they're bringing a good amount of stuff to our downtown Baton Rouge, so that should bump it up a good bit in the rankings. But I think the Shaw Center helped a lot.

I would have to say New Orleans. Of course, I haven't been to that many riverfront cities so I can't really say anything else.. I've never been to Austin, but I still like it anyways. Thankfully, they're bringing a good amount of stuff to our downtown Baton Rouge, so that should bump it up a good bit in the rankings. But I think the Shaw Center helped a lot.

Baton Rouge's downtown and riverfront should change quite a bit in coming years, moving up quite a bit as far as nice southern riverfronts go. As it stands now it has a decommissioned US military ship docked on its riverfront, which is something that not many cities can say. :)

Baton Rouge's downtown and riverfront should change quite a bit in coming years, moving up quite a bit as far as nice southern riverfronts go. As it stands now it has a decommissioned US military ship docked on its riverfront, which is something that not many cities can say. :)

Norfolk can say that! :thumbsup: USS Wisconsin

norfolk wins this one for me too...

older pictures

Norfolk_Skyline_04_02_2002_cropped.sized.jpg

100MilesNorfolk.jpg

line2813.jpg

to that last picture you can add 5 more skyscrapers which will transform the skyline in the next few years...one if nearly finished...three are being constructed and one is in the final planning stages...two of these buildings will top 30 stories!...

norfolk also has a BEAUTIFUL baseball stadium downtown

g8HarPk.jpg

norfolk hasn't been getting much respect in this USA South forum...but in a few years that will all change...

Has anyone mentioned Orlando?

Of course it doesn't have a river/riverfront, or the ocean. BUT it has some of the most gorgeous lakes you've ever seen. And they're EVERYWHERE:)

Orlando is a real charm city. It gets pushed aside with the focus on nearby theme parks, but Orlando itself is a gorgeous city full of waterfronts, IMHO:)

Has anyone mentioned Orlando?

Of course it doesn't have a river/riverfront, or the ocean. BUT it has some of the most gorgeous lakes you've ever seen. And they're EVERYWHERE:)

Orlando is a real charm city. It gets pushed aside with the focus on nearby theme parks, but Orlando itself is a gorgeous city full of waterfronts, IMHO:)

That's a good point. There are no rivers or oceans, but Lake Eola is pretty scenic:

177399907_ba8c43bc13_b.jpg

177393523_6c4c3b745a_b.jpg

Archived