What are your favorite Southern riverfront & waterfront cities?

Rwarky

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone mentioned Orlando?

Of course it doesn't have a river/riverfront, or the ocean. BUT it has some of the most gorgeous lakes you've ever seen. And they're EVERYWHERE:)

Orlando is a real charm city. It gets pushed aside with the focus on nearby theme parks, but Orlando itself is a gorgeous city full of waterfronts, IMHO:)

YES! Being from Orlando and slightly biased, I agree. Even though Orlando doesn't really have a notable or famed river that runs through it, its priviledged enough to have so many lakes! Lake Eola is a perfect example, right in the middle of DT Orlando. Lake Ivanhoe is another popular destination in a charming area by the downtown district for joggers or 4th of July-ers. Further north in Altamonte Springs is Cranes Roost Lake which is one of the most popular destinations in Metro Orlando for afternoon/evening strolls. I wish I had pics but maybe sometime soon.

Miami gets my vote for the best waterfront city in the South.

Somebody mentioned San Antonio as a best riverfront city. I agree even though its not part of the South.

YES! Being from Orlando and slightly biased, I agree. Even though Orlando doesn't really have a notable or famed river that runs through it, its priviledged enough to have so many lakes! Lake Eola is a perfect example, right in the middle of DT Orlando. Lake Ivanhoe is another popular destination in a charming area by the downtown district for joggers or 4th of July-ers. Further north in Altamonte Springs is Cranes Roost Lake which is one of the most popular destinations in Metro Orlando for afternoon/evening strolls. I wish I had pics but maybe sometime soon.

Miami gets my vote for the best waterfront city in the South.

Somebody mentioned San Antonio as a best riverfront city. I agree even though its not part of the South.

I never considered San Antonio a true riverfront city, because their river is nothing more than a drainage ditch. It's gorgeous the way they have it done, and there's a lot to do there; but even though they've named it the San Antonio River, it's not what I think of when I think of a "riverfront."

My lord. Ok, cities like New York, Philadelphia, and Boston all have really old parts of town, yet they also have modern buildings, it is quite possible. If possible for them, it's possible for Mobile. I'm sorry, I didn't thoroughly explain in my first post, I'll be sure to explain more fully next time so that your simple mind doesn't get confused. :D

If that's in reference to me, I totally understood your comment and agree. My 'huh?' was in reference to the comment just before yours about people getting diseases in water.

The Norfolk waterfront is enhanced by the naval ships. Very impressive indeed.

They are very many nice waterfronts all around the south/southeast/ mid-atlantic. I have enjoyed the waterfront pics all of you have sent, thanks.

Chattanooga has one of the most improved waterfronts. And Mobile is now begining to take their waterfront to the next level.. Greenville SC has cool is neat with their tiny river with the falls.

Of course Miami has a great waterfront. Memphis and New Orleans are two very nice riverfronts I have experienced. I like Richmond's design and have a new appreciation for the way everything is laid out. Shreveport/Bossier City has a flashy underated riverfront.

My hometown has realized the importance of a significant vibrant riverfront; a new Riverfront Masterplan, check-it out.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/multimedia/2853931.html

...and it is not the entire skyline yet

It's almost impossible to get a picture of the entire skyline in Miami. It's hard just to get downtown, South Beach, and Brickell in one shot.

It takes a REAL panorama to get Sunny Isles in the shot. You might have to take the picture from Grand Bahama.

I like the Mempis downtown. The pyramid really sets it apart from any other downtown. Can someone explain to me why when you cross the bridge to Arkansas there is nothing there at all. Just barren land.

Because those are flood plains. Not suitable for building anything. If you travel a mile or 2, you cross the levees, then West Memphis begins. Not exactly pretty, either. (Same goes for most of east Arkansas.)

Because those are flood plains. Not suitable for building anything. If you travel a mile or 2, you cross the levees, then West Memphis begins. Not exactly pretty, either. (Same goes for most of east Arkansas.)

I'm glad you said it and not me! :rolleyes:

1. Norfolk-Urbaninty and industrial grit on the James and the Elizabeth rivers. I would take the family to waterside Norfolk to eat and watch the ships. I guess I am an industrial, port infrastructure freak...I love that kind of stuff and Norfolk has all of it plus the naval shipyards.

2. Wilmington-history, industry plus the beach right across the waterway.

Archived