Moving Hints

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, man.

I was hoping for some more moving hints. I am in the throes of packing. Help me. Help me.

Using my super high-quality home layout program (one of those $10 software jobs...I think it came on 3/5" install diskettes!) I do a floor plan. Print out, re-measure if I've messed up any corners. Then I drop my existing furniture in.

Saves on the ol' hernia thing if I don't have to keep repositioning the grand piano and the sarcophagus and the bench vise.

Using my super high-quality home layout program (one of those $10 software jobs...I think it came on 3/5" install diskettes!) I do a floor plan. Print out, re-measure if I've messed up any corners. Then I drop my existing furniture in.

Saves on the ol' hernia thing if I don't have to keep repositioning the grand piano and the sarcophagus and the bench vise.

Cool idea! Where did you get the program?

Last time I got ready for a move, I cut out little squares of paper and set them in various configurations on the floorplans. Your idea sounds like a lot more fun. Not to mention, much more accurate. (Although I did have it pretty darn well planned... down to the placement of my ferret's cage.)

You can listen to WYCE online at www.wyce.org click Listen. You can also click on the Playlist link to see which song / artist is playing. I get a musical education from them every day--blues, jazz, funk, rock, folk - it doesn't get better for me.

My co-worker was a mover to pay his way through college. He worked for Two Men and a Truck and highly recommends them. I've always just relied on the kindness of male friends for the heavy stuff but if the time comes again, I'll probably hire 2Men and make everyone's lives easier.

You can listen to WYCE online at www.wyce.org click Listen. You can also click on the Playlist link to see which song / artist is playing. I get a musical education from them every day--blues, jazz, funk, rock, folk - it doesn't get better for me.

My co-worker was a mover to pay his way through college. He worked for Two Men and a Truck and highly recommends them. I've always just relied on the kindness of male friends for the heavy stuff but if the time comes again, I'll probably hire 2Men and make everyone's lives easier.

Yes, that's what I did.

I had some friends offer to help, but I know what's in store, and it ain't pretty. But they were so nice to offer.

Last time I got ready for a move, I cut out little squares of paper and set them in various configurations on the floorplans. Your idea sounds like a lot more fun. Not to mention, much more accurate. (Although I did have it pretty darn well planned... down to the placement of my ferret's cage.)

Better Homes and Gardens has Arrange-a-Room available for free online.

Some big box place (Best Buy or an office r us). In one of the piles 'o software they have up front in bins. Design something Home 3D. Same company makes a landscaping program, and they are supposed to interface.

I even used it to situate a holiday tree one year, figuring out what I would have to move and where. For the tree, I used a table lamp turned green, adjusted the proportions.

Better Homes and Gardens has Arrange-a-Room available for free online.

I moved into Union Square the first of August. Big Brother was my choice of moving companies. $500 to pick up, transport, and deliver to the third floor. They work more for the tips than the hourly charge of the company. So they move fast and efficiently. I really thought they did an outstanding job. Took them about 4 hours time. Be well packed to start, because last minute packing will slow the process. You can go to the websites of such movers as Big Brother moving or 2men&truck and there are ideas/tips on how to pack efficiently for your move. We purchased (25) 25gal sterelite totes from meijers as there was a great sale on them at the time. They work awesome, and look respectable for storage too.

**Sorry..the reply was to Budgie Frisket. Must have clicked the wrong reply to.

I used 2 Men this week. They brought 3 guys (one said he was injured and couldn't lift heavy stuff, and he had the CDL so he was driving...they only charged for two). Nice fellows, efficient. At the destination a situation arose and they came up with a couple of options, thereby helping to save my stomach lining.

I had to say "the [purple] furniture goes upstairs and the [orange] stays downstairs" a couple of times.

I wish I had packed more stuff in advance so that they could grab some big heavy boxes. The seats were out of my van for the move, and I had them transport them for me.

Turns out that the driver lives two blocks away...and he has the same landlord! (Cue the "Twilight Zone" theme.) So I not only got my move done, I have a new neighbor pal!

(So far I am really liking the place and the locale. Yesterday I found kids playing ball in the street...they don't do that on Fulton.)

When moving essential critical items that will be needed shortly afterwards, put them in a real obvious logical place.

My briefcase? Searched and searched, finally found it on the first hanger in the downstairs closet where (at the time) I knew it would not get lost.

The coffee scoop? What a treasure hunt. In the bag with the boxed teas. I should have put it in the coffee pot. (Coffee ran out; I've been running on Beaner's.)

D'oh.

On the bright side, the amount of effort expended is probably equivalent to an Amish farmer. I could have paid thousands at a week-long spa and not dropped several lbs. Love the stairs!

• 2 weeks later...

I am labeling all my boxes (which, thankfully, were given to me by my employer... probably already mentioned this, but it's saving me a bundle).

2 Men + Truck was kind enough to deliver packing paper and dish boxes to my place of employment. Went through the packing paper pretty quickly. But, I had tons of plastic bags I've been saving from trips to the grocery store, and they work well as padding.

I'm packing my essentials (shampoo, etc.) in an overnight bag along with a roll of toilet paper. Don't leave home without it.

Also, packing some fragile items in with my clothes in the suitcases.

Using throw pillows as cushions for fragile pieces as well.

Any fabric is fair game for packing material: sheets, towels, you name it.

Hoping to find more stuff I can give away before the movers come Saturday morning.

Oh, and the building manager at my current place was kind enough to give me a key to the elevator (which will be padded) so that we can lock it open.

And for a mere $10 per meter (+ $10 admin fee), the Parking Services Dept. will place one of those fashionable orange hoods over the meter of your choice so the moving truck has a place to park right outside the building.

Now... what am I forgetting. I know there's something... :w00t:

We're moving in the next couple of weeks to and want the internet without necessarily the cable TV... We'l be living 44th/Breton area... any suggestions?

My office is near 44th/Breton - we may be able to beam wireless to you...

PM me and get me exacxt details and I can get the info to the appropriate folks at my place.

I used 2 Men this week. They brought 3 guys (one said he was injured and couldn't lift heavy stuff, and he had the CDL so he was driving...they only charged for two). Nice fellows, efficient. At the destination a situation arose and they came up with a couple of options, thereby helping to save my stomach lining.

I had to say "the [purple] furniture goes upstairs and the [orange] stays downstairs" a couple of times.

I wish I had packed more stuff in advance so that they could grab some big heavy boxes. The seats were out of my van for the move, and I had them transport them for me.

Turns out that the driver lives two blocks away...and he has the same landlord! (Cue the "Twilight Zone" theme.) So I not only got my move done, I have a new neighbor pal!

(So far I am really liking the place and the locale. Yesterday I found kids playing ball in the street...they don't do that on Fulton.)

I used the same moving company, and you won't believe what a nightmare it was!

First, the City had put an orange hood over the parking meter as I requested, but someone parked overnight in the "loading zone only" behind the meter so the guys can't get their ramp out. I cross the street to the handy-dandy police station, and they have the car towed. Not the movers' fault.

[And, as an aside, I had to chase cars out of the No Parking place all through Saturday and Sunday. A total of three trips to the police station. And I caught two drivers myself. Six parking violators in all. Very frustrating. I normally do not tear up in frustration, but the Saturday evening trip to the station was a bit too much. And these police guys are hot... just my luck.]

Back to the movers: once we get up to my old place, the "leader" puts his hands on his hips, scratches his head, then proceeds to detail what they are going to do. This goes on for five minutes, after which time he does not follow my instructions and is not careful with my antiques ("Duh, ma'am, this just broke off. Ma'am, did you know this arm was loose?") He keeps forgetting to bring up the wardrobe boxes. They didn't bring extra packing tape (so I make a trip to the hardware store).

Even though I have a key to the elevator, thereby able to keep the thing open for our exclusive use, the movers are slow, stupid, and just plain addle-brained. HORRIBLE!

The next time the "lead" guy goes into a lengthy description of what they are going to do, I interrupt and tell him to stop talking about it and JUST DO IT. (I never get nasty with workers, honest. This is the first time.)

Hands on hips, scratching his head. He repeats this behavior over and over and over.

Finally, we drive up to my new building (this, after four hours of loading). I carry stuff that I have packed in my car and make two trips when I notice that they have only carried in the top to my dining room table. I tell them to GET MOVING. Leader says, "But there's a lot of steps, ma'am." Well, I'm CLIMBING THEM, TOO!!!

To save time, I run back to my old place to get the suitcases packed into my car. As I place the suitcases in the hallway outside my condo, the door closes and locks behind me. Great. Thankfully, my cell phone is in my pocket (about the only thing that went well). So I call my brother, who luckily had an extra key. He drives all the way in from Hudsonville, I race back to the new condo... and the movers are less than halfway through unloading.

I just about lose it. I call their boss and tell him that these are the worst movers I have ever hired (and I have used this company twice before). I am just about in tears. The boss sends over two more guys, who get the job done in excellent time. I wish I'd had those two guys from the get-go.

My brother was kind enough to help me with the miscellaneous stuff on Sunday. Three trips in a small truck, but we both hustled.

I'm all moved in. But not unpacked. That will take some time.

My move was on a Thursday, so perhaps I got the F/T crew and you got the second string.

Mine were singlehandedly (one person) lifting van seats and other big-heavy stuff. Once I said, "don't be a hero, that's heavy." Mine had no problems with the stairs.

Well, you are one lucky lady, let me tell you. I can't tell you enough how bad my guys were. I would not recommend this company.

We shall see if the boss makes an adjustment on the bill.

Amazing. You just wouldn't believe it.

Well, you are one lucky lady, let me tell you. I can't tell you enough how bad my guys were. I would not recommend this company.

We shall see if the boss makes an adjustment on the bill.

Amazing. You just wouldn't believe it.

I used Big Brother, one of the 4 recommendations from Union Square. The rate, including the drive time (1hr), was the one of the best quoted too. They were great!!! I was moving as much as they were, but as a team. 3 of us moved my 3 bedroom duplex into my unit in only 4 hours, one truck load. I am on the 3rd floor. I bought them pizza from Bridge St. pizza when we were done and supplied gatorade throughout the moving process. They were highly motivated, and pleasant to frustration free. Needless to say...they made this the most painless move I have had in the last 8 years. I have moved 6 times in those eight years. Again...I highly recommend them, the lead guy name was Jack for my Big Brother crew...for anyone in the future. They could put in a request for him.

I used Big Brother, one of the 4 recommendations from Union Square. The rate, including the drive time (1hr), was the one of the best quoted too. They were great!!! I was moving as much as they were, but as a team. 3 of us moved my 3 bedroom duplex into my unit in only 4 hours, one truck load. I am on the 3rd floor. I bought them pizza from Bridge St. pizza when we were done and supplied gatorade throughout the moving process. They were highly motivated, and pleasant to frustration free. Needless to say...they made this the most painless move I have had in the last 8 years. I have moved 6 times in those eight years. Again...I highly recommend them, the lead guy name was Jack for my Big Brother crew...for anyone in the future. They could put in a request for him.

Alas, the recommendations from U2 came AFTER I had reserved the other guys. Lesson learned!

Archived