Moving Hints

You'll be fine. Some aspects of the area might look a little scary, but I lived there (Fulton across from the cemetery) all last year with no worries. (SWF living alone.) I even took walks at night by myself.

The area is being bought up by gay couples who are fixing things like crazy. I met one (in his front garden) who said that as an insomniac, he often sits on the porch at night. Everyone knows he's the one calling the cops. (And he told me a cool story about struggling home after foot surgery, on crutches, and the cops helped him into the house, got him comfy, made him a sandwich.)

Are you looking at the huge place that was a medical office and it overlooks a church parking lot?

PM me for more details...

Wasn't it last year, that area around Aquinas had a bunch of muggings! So much that there was community meeting at the Kava house about it. The businesses were worried how it would effect them.

Don't get me wrong...I like that area, it is nice. Aquinas campus is beautiful. Unfortunately, anywhere in the greater GR area will not be as safe as up North. I am from the U.P., living here for 8 years now. Trying to convince someone that it will be AS safe as upper parts of Michigan is naive.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't it last year, that area around Aquinas had a bunch of muggings! So much that there was community meeting at the Kava house about it. The businesses were worried how it would effect them.

Don't get me wrong...I like that area, it is nice. Aquinas campus is beautiful. Unfortunately, anywhere in the greater GR area will not be as safe as up North. I am from the U.P., living here for 8 years now. Trying to convince someone that it will be AS safe as upper parts of Michigan is naive.

I read the article where Harry came to Kava House to discuss things with the residents. One of his recommendations was along the lines of, "show some common sense, and don't be standing at an ATM at 1 in the morning." If memory serves, a couple of the victims were strolling along yakking on their phones.

(This is one reason why I'm a cyclist. Roving around "land grant" universities [aka academic sprawl] persuaded me that walking was not always the best way to get somewhere.)

Sooooo, Moving is a pain!

We were approved at one complex on the SE side... all set to sign the lease tomorrow and move in on saturday. We have to move out of our current place on saturday. At 6pm today, the landlord of the complex sends me an email and tells me they can not approve me after all... 2 days before I'm supposed to move. So now I'm scrambling to try and find a new place for my fiance and I to live in the next two days :(

PM me. My LL has a bunch of empty places (he went on a buying binge this summer) on Belknap. He'd likely go monthly for you.

Well, thanks for the help folks! Turns out while I was scrambling calling anyplace I could, we got a nice place near Broadway and Richmond on the NW side... We would've preferred the East side due to class and work, what we save in rent we will make up in extra gas. But it will do until we get back on our feet.

Archived