Moving Hints

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh... I hate trying to find a place to live... especially dealing with the large apartment complex rules and regulations for applications and fees and crap like that... Problem is the area that we want to live only has large complexes and not so many individual landlord types :(

Ugh... I hate trying to find a place to live... /quote]

Tell me about it. I've been trying to find something I liked for like 4 months. Started out the condo route, now have moved to homes.. hard to find anything I like (house hunting is fun the first 2 weeks, but it gets old). I may have found something recently, but am still waiting to work out the final details....

We're hoping somewhere on the SE Side... My fiance works at Woodland and goes to school at Davenport campus out in Caledonia... so we're hoping for something in between there... Its just a pain because we have to be out of our place in like.... a week and a half

Let me ask a question... due to custody issues, we have to have a Grand Rapids mailing address... If I live in Kentwood and someone puts Grand Rapids as the city, will mail still reach without a problem? I realize most people would say Kentwood is in Grand Rapids... but its kind of blurry when it comes to legal stuff.....

We're hoping somewhere on the SE Side... My fiance works at Woodland and goes to school at Davenport campus out in Caledonia... so we're hoping for something in between there... Its just a pain because we have to be out of our place in like.... a week and a half

Woodland isn't that far from downtown, and with M-6 Davenport to downtown is about 13 or 14 minutes...

I do the downtown to Middleville (past caledonia) drive daily, so I do understand the gas and vehicle wear and tear issues.. it can be tough.. but not tough enough to get me to live out that way. ;)

Ugh... I hate trying to find a place to live...

Tell me about it. I've been trying to find something I liked for like 4 months. Started out the condo route, now have moved to homes.. hard to find anything I like (house hunting is fun the first 2 weeks, but it gets old). I may have found something recently, but am still waiting to work out the final details....

The wifey and I were *seriously* looking for a house 6 months before we found ours. That was a horrible 6 months. I think our realtor wanted to pile drive my wife and I on multiple occasions. :) Oh well, that's why they get paid so well, right? ;)

I'm sure you're probably aware of GRAR's website (http://www.grar.com) and their search features. It's a great site.

Have you been working with a realtor at all? Let them do all the leg work. :)

...Let me ask a question... due to custody issues, we have to have a Grand Rapids mailing address... If I live in Kentwood and someone puts Grand Rapids as the city, will mail still reach without a problem? I realize most people would say Kentwood is in Grand Rapids... but its kind of blurry when it comes to legal stuff.....

Rent a PO box.

Rent a mailing address from one of the Mailboxes R Us places.

Send yourself a test postcard with GR and the Kentwood zip. (Maybe this won't work until you live at the new address.)

"General Delivery, GR 49501" (ZIP for DT post office)

I've used PO boxes for years. Very nice. I can go live at Union Square or under the adjacent freeway and still get my mail. No one sees mail pile up when I travel. Everything comes to one address. I don't have a need for magazines and bills and whatnot delivered to my home. And I like going DT to the USPS (even more fun when the agency sponsored a bike racing team).

Let me ask a question... due to custody issues, we have to have a Grand Rapids mailing address... If I live in Kentwood and someone puts Grand Rapids as the city, will mail still reach without a problem? I realize most people would say Kentwood is in Grand Rapids... but its kind of blurry when it comes to legal stuff.....

I'm not sure what the courts are looking for in an address as far as custody goes but as far as the Post Office is concerned there is no Kentwood or Wyoming post office, they both fall within the Grand Rapids Post Office with I think part of Wyoming falling within the Grandville Post Office. So while the Post Office really only goes by the zip code and doesn't much care what city you write on the address anymore, the technically correct city to put on a letter delivered to someone living in Kentwood is Grand Rapids.

Want to hear a good one, I live West of Walker, but not quite to Marne when I was growing up, but we had to put in "Grand Rapids" as our mail address (Although some stuff addressed to Walker did come through)

Want to hear a good one, I live West of Walker, but not quite to Marne when I was growing up, but we had to put in "Grand Rapids" as our mail address (Although some stuff addressed to Walker did come through)

Shoot snoog, I was fully in Walker and still had to put Grand Rapids on mail and stuff. There isn't a "Walker" according to USPS. :)

Granted, they really don't give a rip about what you put on the envelope, just the zip code.

Wouldn't the courts be looking at county and not city? As in Kent County vs. Ottawa County?

The current agreement is to allow us to move to Grand Rapids but no further away from Boyne City than Grand Rapids... We just don't want her ex to do something stupid like take us to court for contempt for moving to Kentwood since it is technically farther than Grand Rapids from BC... and yes, he's an idiot like that

The current agreement is to allow us to move to Grand Rapids but no further away from Boyne City than Grand Rapids... We just don't want her ex to do something stupid like take us to court for contempt for moving to Kentwood since it is technically farther than Grand Rapids from BC... and yes, he's an idiot like that

Exes can be very challenging, especially if you have kids.

We're going to look at a new place on Monday... Its on Lake Drive right after it splits with Fulton. Can anyone give me a general idea of that area? I know Aquinas is just down Fulton abit and I think Davenport's campus is right there as well. My fiance is just concerned about the area being safe. We're both from a tiny town up north where people don't even bother locking doors at night... so I've been trying to convince her, but haven't had much luck...

Does anyone have just some general information about that part of town?

We're going to look at a new place on Monday... Its on Lake Drive right after it splits with Fulton. Can anyone give me a general idea of that area? I know Aquinas is just down Fulton abit and I think Davenport's campus is right there as well. My fiance is just concerned about the area being safe. We're both from a tiny town up north where people don't even bother locking doors at night... so I've been trying to convince her, but haven't had much luck...

Does anyone have just some general information about that part of town?

You'll be fine. Some aspects of the area might look a little scary, but I lived there (Fulton across from the cemetery) all last year with no worries. (SWF living alone.) I even took walks at night by myself.

The area is being bought up by gay couples who are fixing things like crazy. I met one (in his front garden) who said that as an insomniac, he often sits on the porch at night. Everyone knows he's the one calling the cops. (And he told me a cool story about struggling home after foot surgery, on crutches, and the cops helped him into the house, got him comfy, made him a sandwich.)

Are you looking at the huge place that was a medical office and it overlooks a church parking lot?

PM me for more details...

The very first house I bought stands on the corner of Fulton and Packard. The neighborhood has improved greatly over the years (I lived there in the mid-70s). I am pleased to see that the trees I had the City plant are nicely matured (the two farthest north maples on west side of Packard). Why, they were just sticks when they planted them. Can't say they were knee-high to a grasshopper because that simply would not be true.

My advice is to take the normal precautions and just be alert to your surroundings. It doesn't matter what neighborhood you are in -- my family had more problems with theft, indecent exposure, etc., when we lived in EGR!!!

BF

Thanks folks :P

We're checking the place out today, so I'm not exactly sure if its the same place you're talking about Veloise... I think its just the first floor of a historic house from the description

SE corner of Lake & Eastern.

Edit: I tried PM'ing you but got an error mesage. Perhaps it would work in reverse (you PM me).

Thanks folks :P

We're checking the place out today, so I'm not exactly sure if its the same place you're talking about Veloise... I think its just the first floor of a historic house from the description

If you're just going to rent, I say go for it. You'll be within easy walking distance of downtown and the Cherry/Lake/Diamond area and Easttown. If you find you don't like it, you just have a lease and not a mortgage to get out of.

Sooooo, Moving is a pain!

We were approved at one complex on the SE side... all set to sign the lease tomorrow and move in on saturday. We have to move out of our current place on saturday. At 6pm today, the landlord of the complex sends me an email and tells me they can not approve me after all... 2 days before I'm supposed to move. So now I'm scrambling to try and find a new place for my fiance and I to live in the next two days :(

Archived